Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Unavailableartist

Colonial Technology

76 posts in this topic

miniball

Minie balls were invented in the Civil War, not during the early flintlock muskets.

Your right, I didn't mean that... I meant opposite of cannon ball! Lol I actually knew that I just didn't know they were called minie balls.

If you disagree with me on the wind and water mills than actually explain how you think they should work in detail and we will go for there :)/>. You are not giving any details...

I also think you are getting to hooked up in our planet's time line saying TNT wasn't that long after steam power. The world of TFC is not earth and technology could develop however we want it to within the boundries of believability. TNT requires complex chemistry which does not fit with the feel of TFC. Steam power is much more fitting. Besides, steam power is NOT a confirmed feature. You are treating it like it is a comfirmed feature.

I may tomorrow after I've had some rest... And think on it i will show you more. All I know it has already been done before... It's just a matter of translating it to terrafirmacraft style. Which means actually build a building for it like a bloomery.

And if you want to talk advanced steam power requires advanced smithing. James Watt, the inventor of the first viable steam engine, stuggled with it because the methods in smithing were primitive... so it took him years to build his first steam engine because he had to improve the technology used with smithing. But that's not the point.... Is it. Black powder will work just fine as an explosive... As thats was what miners used before dynamite or TNT. And believe me... The chemistry while dangerous... Isn't that advanced.... It relied on saltpeter and sulfuric acid... To isolate a nitrogen compounds. Acids have been around a while. ( it's not like I'm asking for complex plastic polymers here).-- I'm not saying that TNT has to be there or dynomite... Just some explosive like black powder is fine.... And I was kind of agreeing with you, I DID say it was a stretch on the timeline.

When you say steam is more practical than wind or water power it makes me laugh because it has been done before in industrial craft as you have said. Its comverted to electricity which powers machines. All im saying is convert it to "mechanical power" instead of "electricity" to power the saw blade, loom or which ever. You make it sound like I'm asking for solar panels of something of that mater.

I may tomorrow after I've had some rest... And think on it. All I know it has already been done before... It's just a matter of translating it to terrafirmacraft style. Which means actually build a building for it like a bloomery.

And if you want to talk advanced steam power requires advanced smithing.... But that's n

Mmm, sleep. That's prolly a good idea. I think I'll do that too :P

I think watermills are out just because water only flows 7 blocks and it doesn't look like it has the power.

What about a grinding stone for sharpening bladed tools and such? The effect could be time based; as you held the blade to the stone, the remaining durability would improve, but the total durability would decrease, eventually rendering the tool irreparable, but extending the overall life of the tool.

Obviously this wouldn't work on stone tools, but the way I'm currently envisioning it, you would have moved out of stone tools long before you build a grindstone anyway.

(Sorry if this has already been suggested; I've been gone awhile)

The reason I bring this up here, is this seems like a great use for a water/wind powered device.

What about a grinding stone for sharpening bladed tools and such? The effect could be time based; as you held the blade to the stone, the remaining durability would improve, but the total durability would decrease, eventually rendering the tool irreparable, but extending the overall life of the tool.

Obviously this wouldn't work on stone tools, but the way I'm currently envisioning it, you would have moved out of stone tools long before you build a grindstone anyway.

(Sorry if this has already been suggested; I've been gone awhile)

The reason I bring this up here, is this seems like a great use for a water/wind powered device.

actually, i was thinking about sharpening too, but as a required step to make a tool, because honestly, a freshly forged axe is going to be rather dull, you need to sharpen it first to give the blade a keen edge so that it can cut. of course you can use an unsharpened tool, but it would be rather terrible at its job

I think watermills are out just because water only flows 7 blocks and it doesn't look like it has the power.

--- Or just simply put you don't know how or just simply don't want to place it in the mod. Hey, it is your baby after all (Bioxx's "TFCII" if he just so happens, per chance to take a break and notice this... you know once every blue moon, hell freezes over... you know how that goes)

Anyways when you say water flows only 7 blocks... you sure you aren't digging deep enough... or coaxing the water to flow farther? You aren't just trying to make up excuses... are you....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey I understand if forge makes an impossible limitation or something.... but that.... heheheheh.... your kidding me right. Surely the minor god (developer) of TFC can come up with something better to say.

Sides' if Better Than Wolves can do it... .why on earth... TFC can't? Right... unless all the other changes TFC makes gets in the way... then again... I understand :D

Your right, I didn't mean that... I meant opposite of cannon ball! Lol I actually knew that I just didn't know they were called minie balls.

Calling the early bullets 'minie balls' would be very awkward. Minie balls are the first(?) aero-dynamic bullet, invented by a French person named after the bullet. It flies farther and greater than smoothbore muskets, as it is fired by rifled muskets. Accuracy is 50% at 200 yards (I think), compared to the smoothbore musket's 5% (again, I think) accuracy.

If they were invented when the early muskets were being procured... that would've been a technology far ahead of its time... which might actually advanced firearms into a Civil War type (that probably means repeating rifles and rifled muskets in the Revolutionary War, maybe even actual rifles and WWI artillery pieces in the Civil War, WWII weaponry in WWI, and modern weaponry in WWII. Just a thought).

By "only flows 7 blocks" I think he means "only 7 blocks before it goes down a level"

Also what's with the ellispes?

By "only flows 7 blocks" I think he means "only 7 blocks before it goes down a level"

Also what's with the ellispes?

-- And that statement makes even more sense. Unless it's impossible, I see no reason why. It looks plenty powerful to me .. and also, there's plenty of room to stick a water mill in and have the blades not touch the ground... especially if the blades are 2-3 blocks long. Historically you couldn't build watermills just anywhere, so the same limitations would apply here.

But, as I said it's his baby, not mine. And.it's all up to him, not me.

And, for the second part, because I can!!!!

that probably means repeating rifles and rifled muskets in the Revolutionary War,

I said you were right did I not, I don't mean to across as a know it all, I apologize if I did. I mean miniball not Minie ball which I imagine is pronounced "Miniay" I imagine, but my spanish is not French so I might be wrong there. So, mini as in small actually different from Minie as the Surname of a French inventor (co-developer when I looked it up to confirm you the last time you posted). So, as you can see, not a far stretch. I'm from the American South, and had several Civil War buffs as friends, I did know the those bullets existed... I just didn't know what they were called or who invented them.

And by the way... Rifled muskets WERE in the Revolutionary war. That was actually a topic about American infantry... which was better American Muskets (longer and harder to load, more accurate. Or, Brittish muskets, shorter and easier to load... less accurate.)--- Anyways they were hunting rifles and less used in military... they were called long rifles.

-- And that statement makes even more sense. Unless it's impossible, I see no reason why. It looks plenty powerful to me .. and also, there's plenty of room to stick a water mill in and have the blades not touch the ground... especially if the blades are 2-3 blocks long. Historically you couldn't build watermills just anywhere, so the same limitations would apply here.

But, as I said it's his baby, not mine. And.it's all up to him, not me.

And, for the second part, because I can!!!!

I said you were right did I not, I don't mean to across as a know it all, I apologize if I did. I mean miniball not Minie ball which I imagine is pronounced "Miniay" I imagine, but my spanish is not French so I might be wrong there. So, mini as in small actually different from Minie as the Surname of a French inventor (co-developer when I looked it up to confirm you the last time you posted). So, as you can see, not a far stretch. I'm from the American South, and had several Civil War buffs as friends, I did know the those bullets existed... I just didn't know what they were called or who invented them.

And by the way... Rifled muskets WERE in the Revolutionary war. That was actually a topic about American infantry... which was better American Muskets (longer and harder to load, more accurate. Or, Brittish muskets, shorter and easier to load... less accurate.)--- Anyways they were hunting rifles and less used in military... they were called long rifles.

Oh, I was trying to bring up some historical humor, but as usual (in my personal life), I gravely fail at it.

That's good to know.

--- Or just simply put you don't know how or just simply don't want to place it in the mod. Hey, it is your baby after all (Bioxx's "TFCII" if he just so happens, per chance to take a break and notice this... you know once every blue moon, hell freezes over... you know how that goes)

Anyways when you say water flows only 7 blocks... you sure you aren't digging deep enough... or coaxing the water to flow farther? You aren't just trying to make up excuses... are you....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey I understand if forge makes an impossible limitation or something.... but that.... heheheheh.... your kidding me right. Surely the minor god (developer) of TFC can come up with something better to say.

Sides' if Better Than Wolves can do it... .why on earth... TFC can't? Right... unless all the other changes TFC makes gets in the way... then again... I understand :D

Wanna know a good way to get people to like you? Limit condescension, sarcasm and insinuating that they don't know what they're doing.

Wanna know a good way to get people to like you? Limit condescension, sarcasm and insinuating that they don't know what they're doing.

...I must be tired... I read that as condensation...

Anyway, I'd love for a colonial tech endgame, maybe even an early steam / electricity inclusion (because let's face it, after a while, building what we've been building has been getting a bit dull). Coming up with different ways of utilizing something (such as redstone in vanilla) makes an endgame much more enjoyable. Just my 2 cents in here.

Much love for the mod, and I look forward to build 76 and the official TFC2 announcement =)

...I must be tired... I read that as condensation...

Anyway, I'd love for a colonial tech endgame, maybe even an early steam / electricity inclusion (because let's face it, after a while, building what we've been building has been getting a bit dull). Coming up with different ways of utilizing something (such as redstone in vanilla) makes an endgame much more enjoyable. Just my 2 cents in here.

Much love for the mod, and I look forward to build 76 and the official TFC2 announcement =)

wehhlll...if i remember correctly, our timeframe is prehistoric throught about the 1500s....or 15th century, idk but still, that leaves us around rennisance/sci.revolution times

wehhlll...if i remember correctly, our timeframe is prehistoric throught about the 1500s....or 15th century, idk but still, that leaves us around rennisance/sci.revolution times

Didn't Dunk say sometime ago that there wasn't *actually* a set timeframe, and it was just a veteran thing that spread? Or something like that? ...maybe?

Didn't Dunk say sometime ago that there wasn't *actually* a set timeframe, and it was just a veteran thing that spread? Or something like that? ...maybe?

ehh, idk i remember hearing from either a giant floating B or a prehistoric fish-shark that our timeframe was ending around that time, although it might have been a silver dragon with cool shades that said that....

but totally, i'd like to see the timeframe expanded as you move on to maybe even having clockwork machines and steam powered stuff

but the again, making higher teir things being in a different "age" might make things awkward on servers where new people would start in the stone age while some people are living with clockwork golems doing everything for them

Ah... No. Condescension isn't what I was going for exactly... or insinuating that you didn't know what you were doing. If was going for condescension, I could attack a lack of imagination... but, poking and stabbing someone I don't know or hasn't particularly insulted me isn't my game. I'm sorry you were offended, it isn't my intention... I was teasing BTW that's a better word.

People usually do like me btw ;) Or, bully me cause I'm too kind.

All I know is that you and Bioxx created a great mod. I like it, that's why you find me here, I don't have forum accounts at with any of the other mods I like.

But you have to admit, the remark you made is a little funny. "Because it don't look powerful enough"... lol.... In a world that's made of blocks, really? :D

AS I SAID... if its beyond your capabilities as a modder or Bioxx... same deal I understand. I'm not a modder myself, wouldn't know where to start... How does that even begin to sound condescending?... I don't know... but again it wasn't my intention to offend you.

While the saw mill might be during the Rennaisance period... which begins in the 1700s. Firmarms, windmills, or waterwheels are around that age. I want to think the first "muskets" were invented at around 1460s or something like that. Hand cannons I think were invented about a century or two before.

Although... flintlock muskets I think are new... if the 1500 century is the limit... matchlock muskets would have to be used. They were made a little differently.

SDA209... could you help me out here...? Sorry I didn't get your joke by the way.

during the Rennaisance period... which begins in the 1700s.

actually, my good raspberry, the rennissance ended in the 17th century, it began in the 14th century

You're right... Industrialism started around 1700. My mistake.

don't mean to be rude, sir raspberry, but you seriously should get a picture

but the again, making higher teir things being in a different "age" might make things awkward on servers where new people would start in the stone age while some people are living with clockwork golems doing everything for them

I think this isn't too far from reality - not all civilizations are in the same 'age', and can learn a lot about new technologies while visiting (or sacking) other countries... Also gives people a reason to group up/work together. Now clockwork golems! That seems a little far fetched! (unless you are nicknaming a stone aqueduct that is transporting your items around your base)