Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Srgnoodles

On Replacement/Removal of the HUD

17 posts in this topic

so, something that i've been thinking about lately is the HUD., right now it seems too much of something out of an RPG than a survival game

so, my thoughts are take out the health bar, hunger bar, and all that stuff and replace them with more subtle and less direct indications of your needs

most of these things would be small like slight tinting of the edge of the screen or sounds.

so here we go

Cold: as you get colder, the edge of the screen starts to get a light blue tinge to it, you will move slower, and eventually start taking damage. at very low levels, the screen will start to shake slightly to show shivering

Heat: as you get overheated, thirst will go down quicker, the screen will start to get a slight orange tinge on the edges, slowing, and eventually damage, also, you will hear heavy breathing as you get more overheated

Exhaustion: if you get too tired (lack of sleep) the edges of the screen will darken,movement and mining speed will decrease, and you will deal less damage with melee attacks. possibly heavy breathing sounds will play.

Exertion: If you get too tired (running around/jumping/lack of stamina) movement speed will slow, sprinting will be disabled, thirst will drop very quickly, and heavy breathing will play.

Damage: as you take damage, the screens edges will begin to turn red, also, a faint heartbeat sound will play at lower health levels

Hunger: same effects as exhaustion except without the heavy breathing

Poison/Negative potion effects: Edges of the screen turn green and darken

Drowning: as your air depletes, the screen will darken and bubble particles will display around you

This is great an totally fits with the feeling of TFC. It would force you to always have water and food with since you don't know EXACTLY when you are going to starve or get thirsty.

Here is the kicker though: how would you deal with the health bar?

Slowed movement, Slowed EVERYTHING really. Like a super debuff slowness debuff. :P And possibly panting sounds?

I see you took the work to describe even things that we don't have yet, or we aren't even sure we will... Good job :3

Now, exhaustion... What happens if some troll goes AFK in a 1*1*2 safe hole, for everyone else in the server not to sleep? What happens when some users are on boats, in the middle of TFC's giant oceans, and lost (note on this one: you don't want to log off when you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean... you just log on to drown and die.)? You could make it so just getting on a bed helps, but there's a noticiable difference in how much you rest between simply liying on a bed, and actually sleeping*...

*Specially if there's more than one person on that bed...

I am still trying to think of how you could get away with having no health bar. I mean, I hate to be thinking so limitedly but don't you need a health bar so you know how much you have left? For you know, going into battle and stuff...? I mean IRL you know approximately how many more hits you can take cause its your body. How can you simulate that in game in a organic way?

I really like this idea. The only problem I can think of would be to be able to tell which ailment is which - maybe having it a buff(debuff?) on the left of your inventory too would help.

Here's some input of my own:

Cold - Maybe instead of just straight up blue, make an ice mask like the pumpkin helmet mask, and fade it in.

Heat - White round the edges, and a bloom effect would be more 'heatstroke-like' than orange.

Exhaustion - Maybe some staggering as well - random movements in random directions, swaying.

Hunger - Maybe have some noises for hunger - *stomach growling*

I am still trying to think of how you could get away with having no health bar. I mean, I hate to be thinking so limitedly but don't you need a health bar so you know how much you have left? For you know, going into battle and stuff...? I mean IRL you know approximately how many more hits you can take cause its your body. How can you simulate that in game in a organic way?

You could have no visible health bar, and when you take damage the health bar becomes visible for <insert> seconds, then fades out. So in any dangerous situation, your health would be there, but otherwise it would be invisible. Maybe a button to bring up the health bar too - just so people can check when they need.

It's probably hard to get rid of a health bar entirely, but to have it only when you need it would go a ways to making it more subtle.

I like that. I think that is a good approach.

I have more ideas for this thread but why not have a tool to bring up the health bar? I can't decide on a tool though as ancient medicine had very few tools for examination.

We could have an option to get back to the old hud, couldn't we? 'cause i don't think i will get used to this so easily, and in PvP it's better to be constantly aware of your health... The effects themselves don't need to be removed when changing to the old hud; this way, it's easier to realise what effects mean what.

TL;DR*: partially optional for users to get used to it more easily.

*If you actually found it too long, you got a serious problem... :

I see you took the work to describe even things that we don't have yet, or we aren't even sure we will... Good job :3

Now, exhaustion... What happens if some troll goes AFK in a 1*1*2 safe hole, for everyone else in the server not to sleep? What happens when some users are on boats, in the middle of TFC's giant oceans, and lost (note on this one: you don't want to log off when you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean... you just log on to drown and die.)? You could make it so just getting on a bed helps, but there's a noticiable difference in how much you rest between simply liying on a bed, and actually sleeping*...

*Specially if there's more than one person on that bed...

well for the boats thing, those tiny little vanilla boats never really worked for me anyway, so i think multi-block ships would be nice, with a cabin for you to sleep in

and about the rest thing, maybe sleeping wouldnt be the only way to reduce that, we coudl have chairs to sit on and slowly restore fatigue. and about the just lying in bed, vanilla minecraft kinda thinks that way too. Lies down for 10 seconds, wakes up and its morning)

oh and i see what you did there tiny text

And now imagine how new players will try to deal with it. Current HUD is almost too confusing already, and there's just a single extra bar added.

Besides, HUD represents inner feelings of the person. If I'm hungy, I can tell it not because my sight turned black, same with when I'm cold (and oh I know how is it to be cold, believe me) and blue tint/frozen texture over my cornea. Also I'm pretty sure I can tell how long I have before I starve. Checking on HUD is like checking on myself if I have something wrong. Now if I have some serious problem, my attention should be brought to the specific part of the HUD.

So, maybe this kind of representation as coloured bars is not the best we can have, but different tints aren't what we need either, I think.

hmm, interesting, but what about a third option: a fade-in fade-out HUD that only appears for a second if anything changes, if your attention is on something else at the moment, you wont notice whats up.

or possibly a hud that only shows that which is relevant (drowning under water) (thirst when over half bar) (health when taking damage) etc :D

This does sound cool, and like a really good idea.

I would add that it'd be nice in that case to have some kind of way to check your current status, like pressing a key to check temperature where it'd say something like "it feels chilly" or "it's hot as hell" or something like that - much like how it works in Roguelikes.

I think the same thing could be done with hunger, thirst and exhaustion too easily - like, you don't have a meter, but the first sign, far before dehydration (for example) would be the line coming up "I feel a bit thirsty!" (like ze's thinking it).

But for damage, poison, drowning etc - I fully agree. You also usually know when you've been hit so...

well for the boats thing, those tiny little vanilla boats never really worked for me anyway, so i think multi-block ships would be nice, with a cabin for you to sleep in

Good luck updating the 'Zeppelin' or 'Ships and Boats' mod.

Zeppelin, not Zipline.

Alhough ziplines are fine too, just not in the same way.

Wut? I thought they were the same mod... *checks for the zipline mod*... nevermind what i said, then :