Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guest Blue_Beluga

Stealth

13 posts in this topic

Sometimes combat can be a little boring. You just don't feel like bashing on something waiting for it to die. So why not a stealth system?

Stealth System

For a start, realistically stealth has to be limited to mobs. Players would be too difficult to code in my opinion. Stealth mode would be activated by crouching (shift) The stealth would be based on two factors - sight and sound.

Sight

Your position would play into the stealth a lot. You are less likely to be seen if you are further away, just as a general rule. You are much less likely to be seen if you are further away in vertical relation than in horizontal relation to the mob, meaning height is your friend. It is also easier to sneak behind a mob, for obvious reasons.

Sound

It is harder to sneak depending on your tier of armour. Of course some higher tier armours are lighter in real life, but this may have to be ignored for the sake of gameplay. For example someone in leather armour would be far more likely to sucessfully stealth around than someone in blue steel armour.

Stealth Attacks

Why stealth? Well, sneak attacks of course. If you successfully sneak you can deal more damage. Stealth attacks with ranged weapons like bows or javelins deal x2 damage, whilst stealth attacks with a melee weapon deal x4 damage. This wouldn't be too unbalanced considering enemies would panic or be alerted to your location when you execute a sneak attack.

Stealth Weaponry

If a stealth system were implemented, it would be great to have gear to go along with it. For a melee weapon I suggest daggers, or added functionality to the knives in the game, less damage than a sword in general combat, but more bang for your buck with stealth. As for armour, chainmail would not go amiss as a kind of 'light armour' offering less noise but also less damage reduction.

Why Stealth?

Well, at the current moment, the idea seems useless, but as a lot of you may know, the fantasy monsters we are used to are to be confined to dungeons, and the overworld will have wildlife, some aggressive. Can you imagine how much more awesome hunting would be if you could sneak? Picking off straggler deer with deadly ranged attacks, or sneaking up on a bear before finishing it off with your knife, all possible with a stealth system.

As always, just an idea, tell me what you think in the comments!

Sometimes combat can be a little boring. You just don't feel like bashing on something waiting for it to die. So why not a stealth system?

Stealth System

For a start, realistically stealth has to be limited to mobs. Players would be too difficult to code in my opinion. Stealth mode would be activated by crouching (shift) The stealth would be based on two factors - sight and sound.

Sight

Your position would play into the stealth a lot. You are less likely to be seen if you are further away, just as a general rule. You are much less likely to be seen if you are further away in vertical relation than in horizontal relation to the mob, meaning height is your friend. It is also easier to sneak behind a mob, for obvious reasons.

Sound

It is harder to sneak depending on your tier of armour. Of course some higher tier armours are lighter in real life, but this may have to be ignored for the sake of gameplay. For example someone in leather armour would be far more likely to sucessfully stealth around than someone in blue steel armour.

Stealth Attacks

Why stealth? Well, sneak attacks of course. If you successfully sneak you can deal more damage. Stealth attacks with ranged weapons like bows or javelins deal x2 damage, whilst stealth attacks with a melee weapon deal x4 damage. This wouldn't be too unbalanced considering enemies would panic or be alerted to your location when you execute a sneak attack.

Stealth Weaponry

If a stealth system were implemented, it would be great to have gear to go along with it. For a melee weapon I suggest daggers, or added functionality to the knives in the game, less damage than a sword in general combat, but more bang for your buck with stealth. As for armour, chainmail would not go amiss as a kind of 'light armour' offering less noise but also less damage reduction.

Why Stealth?

Well, at the current moment, the idea seems useless, but as a lot of you may know, the fantasy monsters we are used to are to be confined to dungeons, and the overworld will have wildlife, some aggressive. Can you imagine how much more awesome hunting would be if you could sneak? Picking off straggler deer with deadly ranged attacks, or sneaking up on a bear before finishing it off with your knife, all possible with a stealth system.

As always, just an idea, tell me what you think in the comments!

There is just one flaw. All metal armor should make it either impossible or nearly so to sneak attack. Metal armor is noisy, regardless of the metal or how heavy it is.

Otherwise this sounds like a great idea! Coupled with wild animals that run away if spotted or damaged, faster than you can run, this would make hunting much better.

yeessssss, this would be a good change from the current minecraft fighting system, -spamclick spamclick-

Black leather armor: checked. Steel knife/dagger: checked. Steel sword, just in case: checked. Bow and arrows: checked. Meals with speed effect: checked.

This suggestion being approved and implemented for me to go on a PvP server and attack everyone ninja style: on hold.

Light level should also play a role on stealthing. It's the difference between a slightly suspicious shadow and a guy crouching on a ceiling like an idiot. Of course, some mobs will be unaffected (those who are used to low light levels), but some others won't (not every animal out there has night vision, you know?)

EDIT: oh, yeah, i forgot the night vision meals, checked.

Black leather armor: checked. Steel knife/dagger: checked. Steel sword, just in case: checked. Bow and arrows: checked. Meals with speed effect: checked.

This suggestion being approved and implemented for me to go on a PvP server and attack everyone ninja style: on hold.

Light level should also play a role on stealthing. It's the difference between a slightly suspicious shadow and a guy crouching on a ceiling like an idiot. Of course, some mobs will be unaffected (those who are used to low light levels), but some others won't (not every animal out there has night vision, you know?)

EDIT: oh, yeah, i forgot the night vision meals, checked.

Off topic: Can invisibility meals be made?

On topic: And jump boost! Checked.

Additionally on sound IMHO:

The material that you are walking upon should also make a difference. For example, walking on dry grass or stone would make it a lot harder to sneak than wet grass.

Also, a mace should be FAR less effective than a knife as the mace relies on a heavy blunt swing which would alert the mob in question.

Additionally on sound IMHO:

The material that you are walking upon should also make a difference. For example, walking on dry grass or stone would make it a lot harder to sneak than wet grass.

Also, a mace should be FAR less effective than a knife as the mace relies on a heavy blunt swing which would alert the mob in question.

Exactly. The logic behind sneak attacks doing more damage with a knife would be that you are stabbing them in a vulnerable place instead of just wildly hacking at them with it. You can't stab with a mace.

You can't stab with a mace.

You can, actually. It's not nearly as effective.

You can, actually. It's not nearly as effective.

You know what I mean.

It would be nice if we got a prone feature like in smart moving, perhaps crawling around in tall grass and sniping a deer with a bow like in AC3. Also leaves should make you nearly invisible to hostile mobs.

Raising some good points about weapons, I might make one of these on up-front combat..

Can't wait to lurk in a big tree and drop in on some guests.

Hmm, another awesome idea from beluga. Awesome, I support this. I don't have corrections for now.