Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guest Blue_Beluga

Combat and Weaponry

20 posts in this topic

This is sort of a follow-up to my stealth suggestion. http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/3274-stealth/

Some people brought up some interesting points, and it made me think of the weapon variety compared to say a good medieval RPG. So here's my ideas,

Weapons

I would be happy to rip this system straight outta Skyrim since it works so bloody well. You would have a variety of weapons at your disposal, but some would work differently to others.

One-Handed Weapons

In order to make a system like this one work, there needs to be a ratio of damage output to swing speed. Since swing speed would be difficult to replicate in Terra Firma I think a cooldown would work best.

Spear

Cooldown: 0.25 seconds

Damage: Very Low

Right click ability: Block

Special: Bonus damage to opponents health

Sword

Cooldown: 0.5 seconds

Damage: Low

Battle-axe

Cooldown: 1 second

Damage: Medium

Right click ability: Heavy swing

Special: Bonus damage to opponents armour

Mace

Cooldown: 2 seconds

Damage: High

Right click ability: Heavy swing

Two-Handed Weapons

Halberd

Cooldown: 0.75 seconds

Damage: Medium

Greatsword

Cooldown: 1 second

Damage: High

Pole-axe

Cooldown: 2 seconds

Damage: Very High

Right click ability: Heavy Swing

Warhammer

Cooldown: 3 seconds

Damage: Extremely High

Right click ability: Heavy Swing

Shields

Two-handed seems better right? Well, kind of, depending on your play style. Shields could be implemented as an item that is unusable, but once activated is visible in your left arm and ups your armour. Standard shields should be made of wood and have metal studs, but higher tier shields would be 100% metal. This could also play into the stealth mechanic in terms of noise. Shields would persist to stay on-screen until deactivated or if the player selects a two-handed weapon.

Stamina

I think terra firma really needs a stamina system. Stamina would deplete as you run, and more importantly here, use your right click ability on your weapon. Stamina should replenish quickly when the hunger bar is full, and even quicker when the thirst bar is high.

Tiered Bows

Metal bows, increase in damage as they go. Perhaps tiered arrows too?

Why?

Well, to vary play styles and to give the player more things to craft. Don't you wish you had a little weapon wall in your house with all your arsenal, and you just go and pick what you're using to raid a dungeon, or hunt some animals? And have the satisfaction that when you defeat the enemy, it was a kick-ass weapon you crafted?

As always, just an idea, post your ideas and feedback, I love hearing people's opinions!

The shield has been discussed before, people said that it would not be possible to have one if you didn't know when the enemy where going to strike but i think the way you just explained it could very well be possible!

if it could be made to only work if the shield bearer is facing the enemy that strikes him, (does sword blocking work similar to this?) it would mean we could have actual strategic advantages in flanking your opponent!

Also, the shield should be very useful against arrows!

Although your ideas are well thought out, I'm not sure they're right for TFC. Shields, new weapons, etc are great in a combat based game but TFC is survival orientated, which seems more about avoiding combat and taming the land. Obviously Dunk has the final word, so that's just my 2 cents.

Shields, new weapons, etc are great in a combat based game but TFC is survival orientated, which seems more about avoiding combat and taming the land. Obviously Dunk has the final word, so that's just my 2 cents.

I would hate to think we have all that plate armor and those weapons already in-game just for farming!

I like the idea of more varied weapons and shields. Great ideas. Shields would be a great deck item if armor stands/wall hooks are implimented as well.

Tiered Bows

Metal bows, increase in damage as they go. Perhaps tiered arrows too?

I think... The answer for metal bows is no. I find it silly that skyrim does and Ill find it silly for minecraft. The reason is metal bows are a modern construction of bows.

Here is my suggestion.

Self-bow--- small and light. Faster shot but low attack.

Composite--- requires animal glue... A fire... And cane/deer horn along with wood and has high attack.--- low durability- fast shooting

Longbow--- same a self bow only bigger requiring a woodworking table or bench. Higher attack, range, and durability--- slower shooting

Tiered arrows, yes. While I think there should be attack increases with each metal tier... I think there should be an even greater emphasis on recoverability of arrows when fired on target.

Everything else I like... But maybe durability... Should be a bigger factor as you go up the metal tiers vs attack power. I think there should be a attack bonus... But just a smaller one... Particularly as you go up the metal tiers.

And pole arms/axes should have a bonus against spider jockeys/ spiders.... Those weapons where used against horse in real life.

Dude, I don't want to be a downer but every single thing you have in this post has been suggested before. Suggested and then stomped hard on by Bioxx. I agree, we should have a better combat and weaponry system like that outlined in Jed's "combat overhaul" three point threads. However, the big B has said absolutely not People need to stop suggesting this.

Dude, I don't want to be a downer but every single thing you have in this post has been suggested before. Suggested and then stomped hard on by Bioxx. I agree, we should have a better combat and weaponry system like that outlined in Jed's "combat overhaul" three point threads. However, the big B has said absolutely not People need to stop suggesting this.

well, my good raspberry, Bioxx is no loonger working on TFC so, it's up to our resident prehistoric fish-shark to decide wether or not we will have a combat overhaul

The coldown sistem is a nice way of replacing swing speed , but i don't like the "right click ability" , the weapon being able to do specific things to other things i really like but i think some weapons should have a "bash" (slownes efect) when hit on a special place , bows and other allright , shields suport but "right click ability" no i think that would be a RPG kind of thing , maybe a block with that item but shield blocks better is more likeley i think .

well, my good raspberry, Bioxx is no loonger working on TFC so, it's up to our resident prehistoric fish-shark to decide wether or not we will have a combat overhaul

Sooo, you're for having TFC have a very big feature added, but then TFCII just skip over it? seems kinda weird. Besides Dunk said no overhaul's. Don't get me wrong, I am all for a combat overhaul but 1: there is already three bazillion threads on it, it has been discussed to the death! Plus 2: If Dunk wants to add it, he will. if not, he won't! The idea has already been presented many times over. Making yet another thread is a waste.

The coldown sistem is a nice way of replacing swing speed , but i don't like the "right click ability" , the weapon being able to do specific things to other things i really like but i think some weapons should have a "bash" (slownes efect) when hit on a special place , bows and other allright , shields suport but "right click ability" no i think that would be a RPG kind of thing , maybe a block with that item but shield blocks better is more likeley i think .

yeah remember, this is still a survival based mod, so we have to strike a balance with our weapons systems to make them believable, but not overly complicated and RPG-esque

i agree that we should have more variety thatn spam clicking with a sword, but we still need to keep it simple

oh and Trey, i know a complete overhaul is probably not necessary, but we do need to change it just a bit, so that at least like i said it stops being just spamming with a sword

Everyone SAYS this has been discussed to death, but once you actually look at suggestions, you'll see that this subject has been touched upon just about as much as any other topic. In my mind combat is just as important as mining or crafting, so re-iterating it here is fine. Although I will say shields and other weapons are about as original as a lolcat, the swing speed cooldown had not been mentioned elsewhere, same with the way shields could function.

As for an overhaul... I see it more as an expansion. The development team added maces, so they'd be teasing if they weren't planning on adding some sort of functionality.

I would readily resign most of the ideas here, the main point was varying weapons so that the player has more choice in crafting and combat. That is a must-do in my opinion.

Either way this is what the suggestions section is for, suggestions. If everyone penned down points based on what the development team were already doing, have already done, or are planning on, they might never think to include innovative ideas from the community in Terra Firma.

Everyone SAYS this has been discussed to death, but once you actually look at suggestions, you'll see that this subject has been touched upon just about as much as any other topic. In my mind combat is just as important as mining or crafting, so re-iterating it here is fine. Although I will say shields and other weapons are about as original as a lolcat, the swing speed cooldown had not been mentioned elsewhere, same with the way shields could function.

As for an overhaul... I see it more as an expansion. The development team added maces, so they'd be teasing if they weren't planning on adding some sort of functionality.

I would readily resign most of the ideas here, the main point was varying weapons so that the player has more choice in crafting and combat. That is a must-do in my opinion.

Either way this is what the suggestions section is for, suggestions. If everyone penned down points based on what the development team were already doing, have already done, or are planning on, they might never think to include innovative ideas from the community in Terra Firma.

agreed, suggestions don't have to be for the next update!

Like I said, I'm all for it. We'll see what Dunk says.

Some things to note:

- This would eat up a huge amount of item ID's, what with all the variants.

- I *think* swing speed actually exists in minecraft. If you look at Hack/Mine, weapons have swing speeds there.

And some comments:

- There are a _lot_ of different weapons here. While I think it's nice to have some variety, I just feel this may be unnecessary and just further confusing.

- Most people are just going to have a favorite anyway and always use the same things - there isn't much of a "different weapon for different scenarios" here, so I don't really feel the need for this. I mean, in real life there's a HUGE difference between a spear and a sword, they're used in different situations and with different styles. That isn't in minecraft, and I'm not sure if just adding more different weapons will make that much difference.

- I do think that there's use for weapons with different characteristics. With the weapons currently existing, I think maces should have lower damage but higher durability than swords. I could see adding spears that can't block and have less damage but longer range and only uses a single ingot, but I don't think we need either a shield system, swing speed system nor a bazillion different weapons. That takes a lot of work and time that might be better put into other things. Though of course, I wouldn't oppose it as an addon (though I probably wouldn't use it)

- For the purpose of having many different weapons to hang on the wall, I think that could be easily solved by simply making the shape of the weapon tied to the metal - right now, all metal weapons look nearly the same but with different colors. For example, it'd be easy to just replace the zinc, bismuth, bismuth bronze and pig iron swords with battleaxes - doing the exact same thing that they do now, just looking differently. The black bronze sword into a falcata and the blue steel one into a falchion. To match, one could swap the copper, bronze, black bronze and rose gold maces to horseman's picks. For example. They would be crafted like now and work like now, just with different names and sprites.

Some things to note:

- This would eat up a huge amount of item ID's, what with all the variants.

- I *think* swing speed actually exists in minecraft. If you look at Hack/Mine, weapons have swing speeds there.

And some comments:

- There are a _lot_ of different weapons here. While I think it's nice to have some variety, I just feel this may be unnecessary and just further confusing.

- Most people are just going to have a favorite anyway and always use the same things - there isn't much of a "different weapon for different scenarios" here, so I don't really feel the need for this. I mean, in real life there's a HUGE difference between a spear and a sword, they're used in different situations and with different styles. That isn't in minecraft, and I'm not sure if just adding more different weapons will make that much difference.

- I do think that there's use for weapons with different characteristics. With the weapons currently existing, I think maces should have lower damage but higher durability than swords. I could see adding spears that can't block and have less damage but longer range and only uses a single ingot, but I don't think we need either a shield system, swing speed system nor a bazillion different weapons. That takes a lot of work and time that might be better put into other things. Though of course, I wouldn't oppose it as an addon (though I probably wouldn't use it)

- For the purpose of having many different weapons to hang on the wall, I think that could be easily solved by simply making the shape of the weapon tied to the metal - right now, all metal weapons look nearly the same but with different colors. For example, it'd be easy to just replace the zinc, bismuth, bismuth bronze and pig iron swords with battleaxes - doing the exact same thing that they do now, just looking differently. The black bronze sword into a falcata and the blue steel one into a falchion. To match, one could swap the copper, bronze, black bronze and rose gold maces to horseman's picks. For example. They would be crafted like now and work like now, just with different names and sprites.

yeah too many weapon types would just be a bit over the top and unneeded

as for the different metal swords being different weapons? no, that wouldn't make sense with the smithing recipies and combat tyle of each weapon, although i do think that the swords for each should look different to match the different styles for the the armour

I would be happy to rip this system straight outta Skyrim

Are you talking about Morrowind?

...Somebody skipped their wheaties this morning.

my thoughts on weaponry so far:

add in a lance, a melee weapon with extended range, and crossbows, tiered in chu-ko-nu (repeater, short range but fast RoF), normal (slow, heavy damage) and metal stocking (slower but massive impact (knockback) and heavy damage) together with tiered arrows.

as for current system, the spam-clicking is annoying as hell, and probably the only reason i suck at PvP so yea im not a fan of that either ;)

my thoughts on weaponry so far:

add in a lance, a melee weapon with extended range, and crossbows, tiered in chu-ko-nu (repeater, short range but fast RoF), normal (slow, heavy damage) and metal stocking (slower but massive impact (knockback) and heavy damage) together with tiered arrows.

as for current system, the spam-clicking is annoying as hell, and probably the only reason i suck at PvP so yea im not a fan of that either ;)/>

There is a lot more to it than just spam-clicking, but I agree there needs to be more as well.

What is the point in a shield if you can not hold a weapon in the other hand? So perhaps a slot for each hand?