Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
stringburka

The difference between metals within a tier - how large is it?

29 posts in this topic

Apart from the heat levels/melting points, there seems to be very little information on this on the wiki. Does anyone have knowledge of the difference between tools/armor made out of, for example, bronze, bismuth-bronze, brass and gold? I assume at least gold is softer than the others, but haven't tested (as I have no gold).

Can all tools, weapons and armor be made out of all materials, or is it limited to the ones stated on the wiki? (for example, is there brass armor?)

Thanks a lot for any help!

Can all tools, weapons and armor be made out of all materials, or is it limited to the ones stated on the wiki? (for example, is there brass armor?)

It's limited to those in the wiki.

Thanks for the answer.

Does that mean that brass for example is completely without a purpose atm? EDIT: I realize that must be the case, as seems to be the case for many other metals.

Regardless, my other question still stands; is there any difference between a bismuth-bronze chestplate and a rose gold chestplate, for example?

Yes there is, bismuth bronze is better (i think...). The thing is, i don't know the exact difference between 'em : but the fact two metals share a tier does not make 'em equal except with blue and red steel.

Ah. Thanks a lot. Good thing bismuth bronze is better then, it's less straining on the copper! :)

Though Bronze is better than Bismuth bronze... I remember Dunk said so somewhere.

goshdarn and i just made 32 bisbronze ingots. well, better than nothing anyway :)

you can spend 14 of those in an anvil; it will serve the purposes of smithing higher tier ingots, while being technically cheaper than a bronze anvil. There isn't a difference in anvils. And a green anvil will definitely look better than the brown one :3

Well, I already have a bronze anvil lol :)

But if nothing else, the bisbronze armor at least looks awesome :D

(and we need two to three sets on the server so it's a good thing you warned me - now the rest of the armor pieces can be true bronze)

A lot of times the wiki is wrong it simply fails to mention things... if you can get NEI... and if you find an Item that doesn't say Uknown or is greyed out, but it doesn't show how to make it... ask, for example... for the longest time I had to trouble figuring what the "meals" were for. But some one posted something on the wiki for them.

Apart from the heat levels/melting points, there seems to be very little information on this on the wiki. Does anyone have knowledge of the difference between tools/armor made out of, for example, bronze, bismuth-bronze, brass and gold? I assume at least gold is softer than the others, but haven't tested (as I have no gold).

Thanks a lot for any help!

Bismuth (from a Reality perspective) is a brittle metal, which is not ideal for tool-making, though I believe it is highly-corrosive resistant (which is useless in TFC, as there isn't a feature that is corrosive as of yet).

Bismuth-Bronze, I think it remedies it's brittle problem to an extent, but I think it improves its corrosion-resistance as well (again, useless, as there is no corrosive feature in TFC yet).

Gold? You can't make sharp, pointy things out of gold (based on playing Dwarf Fortress (I think it is possible IRL, but it's very arduous because it's soft), you can only make sharp, pointy things out of steel (throwing a DF reference, apologies for off-topic)!

Brass? I don't know, but I do recall that Spartans carried brass shields (or brass-tipped bronze shields)?

There's a lot of variance between the 3 starter metals and the 4 tool-worthy tier 2's. We unfortunately don't know all the details, just that bismuth is crappy, bronze is awesome, and making the one that's both at once is more crappy than awesome. Bioxx and Dunk are anti-number in their explanations, which is mostly fine by me.

Bismuth (from a Reality perspective) is a brittle metal, which is not ideal for tool-making, though I believe it is highly-corrosive resistant (which is useless in TFC, as there isn't a feature that is corrosive as of yet).

Bismuth-Bronze, I think it remedies it's brittle problem to an extent, but I think it improves its corrosion-resistance as well (again, useless, as there is no corrosive feature in TFC yet).

Gold? You can't make sharp, pointy things out of gold (based on playing Dwarf Fortress (I think it is possible IRL, but it's very arduous because it's soft), you can only make sharp, pointy things out of steel (throwing a DF reference, apologies for off-topic)!

Brass? I don't know, but I do recall that Spartans carried brass shields (or brass-tipped bronze shields)?

In reference to brass:

According to extremely reliable and prestigious sources (wikipedia), brass was primarily used in the ancient world as coinage, though there were some military applications.

However, because of the metals' low friction, it is suited for mechanical applications (doorknobs, valves, gears, bushings, etc.). It is also germicidal and has excellent acoustic properties (trumpet, trombone, etc.).

~Alt

In reference to brass:

According to extremely reliable and prestigious sources (wikipedia), brass was primarily used in the ancient world as coinage, though there were some military applications.

However, because of the metals' low friction, it is suited for mechanical applications (doorknobs, valves, gears, bushings, etc.). It is also germicidal and has excellent acoustic properties (trumpet, trombone, etc.).

~Alt

So, what you're saying is that when TFC2 is out/finished, and people start trying to build techmods that work with our mod, Brass will finally be important?

Sweet.

So in the current build, what are the best tool metals ? i'm thinking the High tier Steels, but i'd like some clarification on this.

So in the current build, what are the best tool metals ? i'm thinking the High tier Steels, but i'd like some clarification on this.

In build 75. (and it has been like this for a looonnng time :D) Blue and Red Steel, like you said the Tier 6 or high tier metals. They are the best tool metals. Additionally they are EXACTLY the same. Normally, metals within a tier are different, but Blue and Red steel are 100% the same.

In build 75. (and it has been like this for a looonnng time :D) Blue and Red Steel, like you said the Tier 6 or high tier metals. They are the best tool metals. Additionally they are EXACTLY the same. Normally, metals within a tier are different, but Blue and Red steel are 100% the same.

Thanks Kimbblesrath good to know B)

Would dunk be opposed to me counting how many blocks I can destroy with one pickaxe?

Would dunk be opposed to me counting how many blocks I can destroy with one pickaxe?

If you like, an easier way to find out is to install the MorePlayerModels mod. Last I checked, there is a tooltip available that shows the numeric damage values of items.

I usually disable it because I find it a bit annoying.

If you like, an easier way to find out is to install the MorePlayerModels mod. Last I checked, there is a tooltip available that shows the numeric damage values of items.

I usually disable it because I find it a bit annoying.

Or just press F3+H ingame. :P

Finding the numbers for yourself if you want to go that route is fine, just don't go broadcasting the numbers to others.

Or just press F3+H ingame. :P

I heard it was F4+Alt ;)

F4+Alt

That doesn't do shit.

That doesn't do shit.

In Lubuntu it does, at least. Don't know for PC, doesn't it work as alt-f4 there?

In Lubuntu it does, at least. Don't know for PC, doesn't it work as alt-f4 there?

Alt+F4 closes the window you are on. :P Try it.