Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sting_Auer

Rare Phenomenon and Artifacts.

6 posts in this topic

First off, this idea is partially inspired by the SCP universe, I highly recommend that if you're a fan of horror, alternate-reality, or supernatural writings and stories, you go check it out.

The basis of this suggestion is to add rare and one-of-a-kind "things" that have varying anomalous affects on both the environment and players. Some are useful, some are dangerous, and yet others simply cannot be destroyed and must be contained or subdued.

The Benign and Beneficial:

These types of artifacts usually can be destroyed, but players would want to instead utilize them in some way. A few examples could be:

1.) A stone bowl that rarely spawns near farmland, and occasionally spits out a small amount of water.

2.) Several totems that can be found on the walls of some caves, and attract animals during the day, but attract monsters at night.

3.) A large wooden carving of an egg that can be found incredibly rarely in barren plains. Nearby animals are fed by it, causing them to, over time, grow to double or triple their size. On the downside, larger animals will often attempt to break out of their pens and try to eat your crops.

The Sinister and Dangerous:

Not all phenomenon can be useful to the player. Many are dangerous, and downright deadly! You need to be careful with these ones, and if they cannot be destroyed, they must be contained.

1.) A wicker basket that, if a chunk receives enough traffic (such as in a large, developed player city in a server), will teleport to that chunk. At varying intervals, it will spawn small monsters that are actually very weak, but will attempt to eat crops, leaves, and other types of food. As they eat, they will become larger and stronger, eventually becoming a threat in a one-on-one fight with an unarmored player. If the basket is destroyed, it will spawn a group of these monsters, and reappear a few in-game weeks later at a different highly-trafficked location.

The basket can be pushed to be moved, and can be pushed up 1-block rises in elevation. Additionally, it can be placed inside a minecart and safely moved to a different location. If moved into an unloaded chunk, it will reappear someplace as if it was destroyed. The best way to contain it is to put it in a closed area and kill the monsters when the room becomes filled.

(Side note: Procedurally generated monsters would be great, but I'm well aware that it would be very difficult in a game such as Minecraft.)

2.) A traveling island. This island isn't actually a physical thing, but is instead a 2D sprite "on the horizon". It will only appear to people near an ocean, and if someone attempts to approach it, their render distance is set to Tiny for a few seconds, and the island disappears during this time.

When the island is visible, exotic creatures will spawn in the water from the direction you can see the island in. These monsters aren't necessarily hostile, but some are, and can be a threat.

(Again, if at all possible, procedurally generating these creatures would be excellent.)

3.) "Forgotten Beast" type creatures, as seen in Dwarf Fortress. These are simply large, rarely-spawning, procedurally generated monsters. Nothing more, nothing less. The reason they are ever a threat is usually because of being made of stone or metal instead of biological material, or having a strange ability, such as poisonous blood, or being able to spew dust that instantly makes all of your skin fall off and your eyes fall out.

Note on procedurally generated creatures:

The way I can see it being done is creating several different limb, torso, and accessory (horns, claws, wings, etc.) parts that are randomly selected when a procedurally generated creature is made. The parts are then attached at appropriate locations.

Obviously these examples aren't necessarily the best, but the goal was to, well, give examples of what I had in mind, and to spark discussion on what these different Artifacts and Phenomenon should be.

I think this would be excellent material for an addon, and I'd probably try it out a few times. I do not think it should be part of the base mod though.

SCP deserves it's own mod, different from TFC. Which it already has...

3.) "Forgotten Beast" type creatures, as seen in Dwarf Fortress. These are simply large, rarely-spawning, procedurally generated monsters. Nothing more, nothing less. The reason they are ever a threat is usually because of being made of stone or metal instead of biological material, or having a strange ability, such as poisonous blood, or being able to spew dust that instantly makes all of your skin fall off and your eyes fall out.

Forgotten Beasts should spawn deep in caves, like they do in DF; near the magma layer (in TFC, not DF). I'm still a bit new to DF (though I did read a good deal of information on the DF Wiki), so aren't some Forgotten Beasts made of biological matter?

A variety of syndromes that could make you vomit, have poisonous (or acidic) blood, spit corrosive dust, or breathes fire breath? They should be very rare....

this is loosely inspired and I rather like the core ideal behind this. it moves us away from creepers(which btw, are useless little shits) and more into 'lore of the land'

Let me explain how I could see this happening(most likely as some kinda add-on as even I dont want this in my personal build unless I make some serious map modifications). First, im going to ignore the examples in the OP(btw, OP, you should label them as examples otherwise you'll get eaten alive because people assume...) and go on my own. In the IRC, talking to dunk about this very thing I mentioned a rare structure spawning. This structure only appears in the most inhospitable place in game and has a rarity akin to strongholds. its a place that defies the laws of the land, sitting in the coldest place imaginable it is in fact a very warm oasis, on the surface appearing somewhat tropical, inviting in many ways, as it draws you in with the aroma of fruits, the prospect of rare woods, and an exotic stone you've never seen before but hear its a prize to own. Everything about it is about appeal, literally everything. but that is what its supposed to be. but that is all what your told from afar. From within its a different story. yes, there are wonders within, more then could be expected from the cold edges. but from within you realize why this oasis has survived so long. Its filled with amazing and dangerous creatures and deep ravines. Even if you make your approach in, you'll soon find the only way out is down, into the dark twilight ravine. The inside is just as wondrous and dangerous. Strange glowing fruit, ferns larger then trees, and more dot this underworld. A fog sparkles around you, and fills every crevice. This fog though hides what is truly there. In this underdark world creatures exist stronger then even what forced you into this world. Eyes glow just outside of your vision, the chatter or mandibles and teeth permiate thoughout, and most of all the long distant and disembodied screams of those before you ring out.

Its too good to be true, and taking a step inside reveals how much it really is.

Surface: similar to current jungle 'biome' however contains a number of unique trees and plants. Despite being located at the poles, is always warm enough for all crops to thrive. Contains an abundance of naturally growing crops and fruit All rock in area is the same down to bedrock and is unique in texture.(turquoise is what I have in mind).

Underground: does not allow caves,lakes, or ravines to generate though it. it generates umbrella shaped ravines frequently(long funnel shaped hole with a 'bowl' of water at its base) Bowl is dotted with small islands with trees. Generates its own VERY large caves(40+ radius) with soil along the bottom of the structure. Sizable trees and huge grasses generate here. Light level in the area is 4. void particles generate up to sea level. Fog is pushed to small render distance fog. Ores generated here are iron, gold, silver, coal, lead, quicksilver. the region naturally buffs the players strength and debuffs the players speed(and mining speed).

mobs: generate with 3000 more HP then strongest player online, are either passive-aggressive or aggressive, vary between ranged and mele(and in some cases, both), and deal debuffs of all kinds when contact is made. Surface mobs are slightly weaker then underground mobs, there are no particular mobs I will mention(though making a Dunk mob that spawns in the 'bowl' would be kinda badass)

yeah, I went overboard. sorry.

I like your idea ECC, and I did make a note in the OP that my ideas were just examples.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0