Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Too-DAMN-Much

Leaving TFcraft

32 posts in this topic

first of all, drop the pitchforks and torches, this isn't what you may think.

what is it then?

well i've been gone for a while from TFcraft and i won't lie, it probably will stay like that for the forseeable future, but when i read the blog post in december from bioxxx that mentioned people leaving the mod and going on strike and such, i felt like that was misunderstood, at least it had nothing to do with my reasons really.

in truth, chest size changes or whichever hot button topic people post about and then leave in a huff wasn't what made me stop enjoying TFcraft, they hurt a lot, sure but that wasn't the reason by a mile, not even close.

so why did i leave and stop having interest in tfcraft?

good question, fortunately, the answer is a simple one i can explain pretty well, i didn't lose interest in tfcraft, moreso i felt such a renewed interest in techmods and honestly that's where my heart leads me at any rate, that i felt so compelled to get back into the scene of techmods by all the goings on on forgecraft and more than that, i remembered what i loved about techmods that made them great and still does, engineering a solution instead of looking one up really, i don't want to discuss gameplay mechanics in this post really because that's not what it's about, but i like having a slight problem getting things to behave as i want to chew on.

right, that was a bit of a long read wasn't it? let me try again.

i think, what really culminated in me no longer playing TFcraft really has to be pinned on being forced to choose between two things i love and really like quite a lot, namely TFcraft and techmods, i really love how smelting up ores and stuff is done in TFcraft, the bloomeries are such a wonderful thing and i hope bioxxx is happy to read that they've actually inspired my girlfriend to someday try implementing them into techmods when the mod API is finally finished along with a few other things, i won't say what because firstly it's not what this post is about and secondly she hasn't even started on it yet, plus some things just can't be public until they're ready.

so what's the point of this thread? what am i getting anyway?

well.... don't make me choose, TFcraft won't be the choice i make 9 times out of 10 sadly and the having to choose between two things i enjoy is only going to hurt both to at least some extent.

thanks for reading.

sincerely, Too-DAMN-Much

*waves hankerchief*

Do what you gotta.

It's not my decision or the community's to make you choose between TFC and the amazing technological modifications, but have you tried MultiMC? It's an MC application that allows the user to create seperate MineCraft folders where they have the power to modify them without having to switch the mod files out with new ones manually. Also allows easy installation.

I think you're taking this thing a bit too serious! dude! it's a mod for a game! it's not like you're dedicating your life into something that leaves no room for other things!! You'll come back when you feel like playing TFC again! just as you now feel like playing with techmods!

I haven't been playing TFC in a while actually! i too have been having way too much fun with Direwolf20's Feed the beast modpack!

I'll play TFC again when i feel like it!

It's not my decision or the community's to make you choose between TFC and the amazing technological modifications, but have you tried MultiMC? It's an MC application that allows the user to create seperate MineCraft folders where they have the power to modify them without having to switch the mod files out with new ones manually. Also allows easy installation.

yeah of course i use multimc, it's actually the only thing that keeps me sane while maintaining and updating our server.

honestly the real barriers were not being able to get the metals for other mods, even if TFcraft over rides terrain or ore generation or both is fine, but there's no reason to use the techmods if you can't craft their items because you can't produce any vanilla or modded ingots.

i think the liquid changes might cause problems as well, but honestly there may be ways to work around that already i think, not sure though.

[edit] also, it was my decision, no one forced me into it, just my primary interest is in techmods [/edit]

no.

i do not play singleplayer only on my private server for me my girlfriend and our family friend, they both refuse to play TFcraft over techmods.

also the mods that we play with alter the client so much i'd have to create a completely separate instance from scratch to even be able to create and enter a vanilla world without crashing instantly, it's because of the difference of required installed versions of some of the mod's components for single and multiplayer.

i guess i should clarify, it's not that this thread is about leaving, it's about wanting to come back, there are reasons i can't due to not being able to get vanilla ore and metal among other things, i just wish that at some point TFcraft and the rest of modding could reach some sort of compromise so that we can all enjoy both.

The techmods are amazing things, no doubt about it. I've had a lot of fun with several (notably Tekkit and IndustrialCraft). I settled in the opposite path, and decided I prefer TFC's rugged survival challenge more for my limited time investment. But I can respect the choice.

Now GTFO. We don't want you industrialist pigs in here anyway! ;)

My personal feeling is that I play through a mod, become proficient and when the challenge dies I try something else. This is the strength of the Minecraft game and community and allows cross fertilisation. TFC is a fantastic challenge with lots of content, which I'm enjoying playing and even more I'm looking forward to more content and TFC2 when they come out.

honestly, i understand that and for some people, i agree it's very true, but honestly i had a pretty easy time with TFcraft once i got used to it, probably not as easy as with all the mods i'm used to honestly, but now that our server is left on the hard difficulty setting i'm not so sure, i had 15+ death points on the first (RL night) we played with the server in hard mode difficulty.

at any rate, techmods have long since ceased to hold any sort of challenge for me, last i played TFcraft i could smelt and work ingots i was used to with a pretty high success rate so i'm not sure it's exactly different.

oh and, of course you don't want us industrial pigs here, neither do the trees, at least that's what they say when i burn the forests down. ;)

first of all, drop the pitchforks and torches, this isn't what you may think.

what is it then?

well i've been gone for a while from TFcraft and i won't lie, it probably will stay like that for the forseeable future, but when i read the blog post in december from bioxxx that mentioned people leaving the mod and going on strike and such, i felt like that was misunderstood, at least it had nothing to do with my reasons really.

in truth, chest size changes or whichever hot button topic people post about and then leave in a huff wasn't what made me stop enjoying TFcraft, they hurt a lot, sure but that wasn't the reason by a mile, not even close.

so why did i leave and stop having interest in tfcraft?

good question, fortunately, the answer is a simple one i can explain pretty well, i didn't lose interest in tfcraft, moreso i felt such a renewed interest in techmods and honestly that's where my heart leads me at any rate, that i felt so compelled to get back into the scene of techmods by all the goings on on forgecraft and more than that, i remembered what i loved about techmods that made them great and still does, engineering a solution instead of looking one up really, i don't want to discuss gameplay mechanics in this post really because that's not what it's about, but i like having a slight problem getting things to behave as i want to chew on.

right, that was a bit of a long read wasn't it? let me try again.

i think, what really culminated in me no longer playing TFcraft really has to be pinned on being forced to choose between two things i love and really like quite a lot, namely TFcraft and techmods, i really love how smelting up ores and stuff is done in TFcraft, the bloomeries are such a wonderful thing and i hope bioxxx is happy to read that they've actually inspired my girlfriend to someday try implementing them into techmods when the mod API is finally finished along with a few other things, i won't say what because firstly it's not what this post is about and secondly she hasn't even started on it yet, plus some things just can't be public until they're ready.

so what's the point of this thread? what am i getting anyway?

well.... don't make me choose, TFcraft won't be the choice i make 9 times out of 10 sadly and the having to choose between two things i enjoy is only going to hurt both to at least some extent.

thanks for reading.

sincerely, Too-DAMN-Much

I feel very much the same way you do. I really enjoyed my time with TFCraft but haven't played with it in a while because it doesn't have near the possibilities of the other combined Tech Mods. Still hoping someday TFCraft will play nicely with my other favorite mods.

If I can play Skyrim and Pikmin in the same gaming session, you can play two mods separately for the same game.

pfffftttt, play 'em in two other tabs if your man enough!

In other words, if you're that dedicated to tech mods, destroy your pc and console, discs and cartridges, you obviously won't ever want to play them again...

sorry to disappoint, but i was never a fan of skyrim or pikmin, especially skyrim, was.... a half decent fallout 3 clone but really fell flat in quite a few ways for me, not the least of which had anything to do with my general "meh" feeling about fantasy genre/themes in general.

also mura, yeah i posted for that reason too, but at least personally it's because aside from techmods and probably one of the main reasons i like them (of course, chief reason would be my love for sci-fi/futuristic/etc and so on) but it's really the playing together with my close friends and having to pick between that honestly, i mean, i like futuristic and all but i can still enjoy a well thought out and executed primitive mod as well, if i could get them interested enough i'd probably at least be playing TFcraft off and on when there's things going on with it, but they really have zero interest with it.

i've asked them why numerous times, i honestly don't quite entirely understand the answer, i mean i mostly do but i disagree with it, they cite that techmods add much more interesting features to MC than TFcraft does because they aren't restrictive to what is actually possible IRL, all of the stuff that can only exist in dreams at the moment is what they really enjoy about techmods, me i like coming up with workarounds for things that don't cooperate out of the box primarily. :)

and also if any of the developers team and people like that read and listen to this post, even if it was like 64 TFcraft ore only smelted down to about 16 vanilla/mod ore, i mean, losing quite a lot in the conversion would honestly seem more balance to me anyway considering the TFcraft ore stack size limits and output of a fully packed bloomery, i guess what i'm saying, is i'm willing to take a big penalty for being able to play techmods alongside TFcraft, i would really actually think it appropriate, let's talk and discuss what would be wanted from both ends.

[edit] didn't notice that until just now, but please don't accuse me of owning or playing console games, i take quite offense to that insinuation, PC only is the way i game. [/edit]

It be so awesome to be able to role play from stone age to the nuclear age with a tekkit/tfc combination! I personally prefer TFC, if only because tekkit, and mod packs like it make the game WAY to easy. I have limited experience with tekkit, but it seems to me that things like EE cannot be balanced. Without the EE, doing things like getting those klien crystals or whatever they are called would be so mindnumbingly tedious, that I could never muster up the motivation to actually get that far, and with it, you end up pumping out a stack of RM every hour or so with a well designed setup. Thats all fine and dandy if youre all about having unlimited resources for building or whatever, but I want a challange. Im more than happy to give up the power plants, the neat ores, geological formations, etc for a chance to finally be challanged in minecraft. TFC delivers :D. TFC on hardmode, imho, is the only way to play and actually feel like you accomplished something.

umm... don't take it the wrong way mdub, but you really need to go poke at the current version of EE, almost everything you mentioned is probably not coming back, maybe the klein stars, but i'm not sure.

as for having infinite building resources.... well that's inevitable, i had about 3 stacks of extreme condensed diamonds, gold and iron up until last night when i updated to a bad logistics version and.... now we're enjoying starting all over from the beginning again, yay.

[edit] actually i'm unsure on red matter as well now that i think about it [/edit]

for reference CBM's storage blocks go (all take 9 of previous) ingot -> storage -> condensed storage -> super condensed storage -> extreme condensed storage. :)

Are... are we supposed to convince you to stay? I'm not sure how to contribute to this thread.

then don't.

if you can't figure out how to reply to a thread with constructive criticism and thought out debates and points, i certainly can't teach you how. :)

you know with that new, what is it called gary's mod or what ever, that is connecting all the mods in the feed the beast mod pack. perhaps when this mod reaches a good point feed the beast can create a mod pack around tfc? i would love to be able to play thaumcraft and simply horses in the tfc world.

not sure what that is, but... wha? more info on that please :)

i think we should already be able to create private packs for TFcraft as well with FTB by the way.

you know with that new, what is it called gary's mod or what ever, that is connecting all the mods in the feed the beast mod pack. perhaps when this mod reaches a good point feed the beast can create a mod pack around tfc? i would love to be able to play thaumcraft and simply horses in the tfc world.

On that, two guys in the forum are working on a TFC crossover thign for multiple mods, i.e, RP2, TC3,, etc.

But Garry's Mod, What does that have to do with TFC or even Minecraft? Could you explains bit better?

yeah i'm not sure on that either, maybe it's just a nickname is all i can think of honestly.

[edit] while i'm at it, just to pre-empt a certain point, why not say bloomery then forge then anvil produces 100% of the TFcraft ore type, vanilla or mod smelting method produces one fourth of vanilla ore, macerating produces half and the TFcraft ore -> vanilla useable would be a 50% loss, opinions? [/edit]

i don't remember the name of the mod that is doing the crossover. i think it is calledc garry's mod or maybe gregtech or something. all i know is that they are reducing the number of ores spawned by making it so only 1 type of copper, one type of tin so on so forth spawns in world gen. then they are revamping recipies so every thing uses all the diffrent types of tin and so on until they change all the recipies to only use and produce one type of each. it make something easier to make, other thing harder to make. and it drasticaly reduces the randomness of never knowing what metals or ores are for which mod or machine. even adding essentia to all the other mods so you can use advanced items and blocks from the other mods to get more combo's of esentia. even make rarer esentia more common and have more options. lots of great stuff.

they have entire teams working on each mod pack. it truely is awesome cause now i can use any of the god know how many diffrent types of tin in place of any other tin. so if i need redpower tin to make a redpower machine. i can use any other tin, from any of the other mods in the pack if i can't find redpower tin.

im not very good at explaining things. just go look up a recent feed the beast video or play one of the mod packs for yourself and see what i mean.

ah ok, it sounded like it was a terrafirma craft compatibility thing, dang.

then don't.

if you can't figure out how to reply to a thread with constructive criticism and thought out debates and points, i certainly can't teach you how. :)

That's not at all what I meant... Constructive criticism on what? Debating about what? You're leaving the mod and you make it seem like you don't want to be convinced to stay. Techmods are pretty fun, I play them myself, I can certainly see the issue of running a server and the people on it like techmods more than TFC. Yeah that's a real issue, but you don't seem to want to choose TFC yourself, and yeah that is fine but it doesn't make it seem debatable.

So am I supposed to say why TFC is better than those techmods? Okay, well then the first thing to say is that it isn't. It's all about opinions, and it's going to be hard to convince people to go against their opinions. Personally I like TFC more than techmods. Some popular modpacks such as FTB and Tekkit contain a load of really neat mods, but when you put that many mods together it's going to cause incompatibility and problems, I believe a major issue in FTB is that some things can only be crafted with copper(A) from mod(A) while the mod combiner made it so the world only spawns copper( B ) from mod( B ), and that can get really annoying, especially on a server where you can't just swap stuff out with NEI or TMI. That can get super annoying when you've made it halfway through a project only to have to stop. Another thing is that these modpacks is that they can get very unbalanced. Mod(A) might let you grind something up, and mod( B ) will let you get 2 from the dust you get, and then you can just grind up the 2 you have and get infinite amounts, and that can really take the fun out of it. Some also let you create something out of nothing or get a lot of materials really fast and IMO the gathering of materials is one of the best parts of the game! TFC makes things difficult, which is much more fun (for me) to have to get stuff, and it's much more satisfying when you finish your building.

But hey, techmods are real fun too. So do whatever you want, your opinion is your opinion.