Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
stringburka

Brewing and beverages

80 posts in this topic

Ok, if you like the idea that Blood Wine is targ pancreas whiskey, then I could add more detail. Let's make it more efficient that human whiskey. Start by taking barley, don't sprout, instead crush and boil to kill any organisms on it. Then cool, but not to room temperature, just to pig body temperature. Take the pancreas of a pig from a butcher shop, puree raw in a food processor, add lukewarm water and soak for a couple hours. Then filter through a permanent coffee filter. Not cheesecloth, that isn't fine enough. And a paper filter would remove too much. The resulting liquid will then be added to the grain stuff. Enzymes work best at a specific temperature, pig enzymes work best at pig body temperature. Then filter with a lauter tun. Remember that's a barrel or bucket with a sieve on the bottom. The idea is to keep the liquid, but remove grain husks. Then add yeast. I make beer with 1 week of primary fermentation in a food grade plastic bucket, covered with a plastic sheet held with string and a blue elastic band to hold the string tight. Then finish fermentation in a carboy with fermentation lock. After you make the beer, distil it.

A few years ago a co-worker invited me to a gun show where he showed off his guns. Guns are not my thing, but I went to establish a good relationship with this co-worker. To my surprise someone at the show was selling laboratory glassware. He said he got it from an employee surplus sale from the local distillery, that's where Crown Royal rye whiskey is made. One piece looked expensive, but had a $5 price sticker. I called my friend who has a chemistry degree. He said the one piece I described cost $110 new. So I went back and asked how much for the lot. He asked $50, and that was 5 full boxes (2 cubic feet each). Ok, so I took the lot. I now have laboratory glassware. No beakers or test tubes, but lots of glass flasks and distilling things. Officials in my province claim it's not legal to distil at home. I checked the law, you require all sorts of permits and licenses etc. to make alcohol for sale, but there's nothing stopping anyone from distilling at home for personal consumption. Prohibition existed in this province from 1916 to 1921, just 5 years. It was repealed in 1921, but the government owned liquor store has somehow convinced the police that it's still illegal. I'm told they convinced the police to charge anyone who home distils a fine equal to what the government owned corporation would have gotten in profit. Uh huh, profit. It's a monopoly. But I don't want to cross the police. I make beer and wine at home. In fact I grow grapes in my back yard for wine. I'll just drink it as wine. So I'm not going to try this recipe. Still, it's interesting to research this stuff.

Ok, if you like the idea that Blood Wine is targ pancreas whiskey, then I could add more detail. Let's make it more efficient that human whiskey. Start by taking barley, don't sprout, instead crush and boil to kill any organisms on it. Then cool, but not to room temperature, just to pig body temperature. Take the pancreas of a pig from a butcher shop, puree raw in a food processor, add lukewarm water and soak for a couple hours. Then filter through a permanent coffee filter. Not cheesecloth, that isn't fine enough. And a paper filter would remove too much. The resulting liquid will then be added to the grain stuff. Enzymes work best at a specific temperature, pig enzymes work best at pig body temperature. Then filter with a lauter tun. Remember that's a barrel or bucket with a sieve on the bottom. The idea is to keep the liquid, but remove grain husks. Then add yeast. I make beer with 1 week of primary fermentation in a food grade plastic bucket, covered with a plastic sheet held with string and a blue elastic band to hold the string tight. Then finish fermentation in a carboy with fermentation lock. After you make the beer, distil it.

A few years ago a co-worker invited me to a gun show where he showed off his guns. Guns are not my thing, but I went to establish a good relationship with this co-worker. To my surprise someone at the show was selling laboratory glassware. He said he got it from an employee surplus sale from the local distillery, that's where Crown Royal rye whiskey is made. One piece looked expensive, but had a $5 price sticker. I called my friend who has a chemistry degree. He said the one piece I described cost $110 new. So I went back and asked how much for the lot. He asked $50, and that was 5 full boxes (2 cubic feet each). Ok, so I took the lot. I now have laboratory glassware. No beakers or test tubes, but lots of glass flasks and distilling things. Officials in my province claim it's not legal to distil at home. I checked the law, you require all sorts of permits and licenses etc. to make alcohol for sale, but there's nothing stopping anyone from distilling at home for personal consumption. Prohibition was existed in this province from 1916 to 1921, just 5 years. It was repealed in 1921, but the government owned liquor store has somehow convinced the police that it's still illegal. I'm told they convinced the police to charge anyone who home distils a fine equal to what the government owned corporation would have gotten in profit. Uh huh, profit. It's a monopoly. But I don't want to cross the police. I make beer and wine at home. In fact I grow grapes in my back yard for wine. I'll just drink it as wine. So I'm not going to try this recipe. Still, it's interesting to research this stuff.

yeah too much work for blood wine

besides, it's best fresh from the source

A few years ago a co-worker invited me to a gun show where he showed off his guns. Guns are not my thing, but I went to establish a good relationship with this co-worker. To my surprise someone at the show was selling laboratory glassware. He said he got it from an employee surplus sale from the local distillery, that's where Crown Royal rye whiskey is made. One piece looked expensive, but had a $5 price sticker. I called my friend who has a chemistry degree. He said the one piece I described cost $110 new. So I went back and asked how much for the lot. He asked $50, and that was 5 full boxes (2 cubic feet each). Ok, so I took the lot. I now have laboratory glassware. No beakers or test tubes, but lots of glass flasks and distilling things. Officials in my province claim it's not legal to distil at home. I checked the law, you require all sorts of permits and licenses etc. to make alcohol for sale, but there's nothing stopping anyone from distilling at home for personal consumption. Prohibition was existed in this province from 1916 to 1921, just 5 years. It was repealed in 1921, but the government owned liquor store has somehow convinced the police that it's still illegal. I'm told they convinced the police to charge anyone who home distils a fine equal to what the government owned corporation would have gotten in profit. Uh huh, profit. It's a monopoly. But I don't want to cross the police. I make beer and wine at home. In fact I grow grapes in my back yard for wine. I'll just drink it as wine. So I'm not going to try this recipe. Still, it's interesting to research this stuff.

I think the major reason why private stills are frowned upon comes down to money.

You take away from tax revenue by making your own at home.

Not only that, but if you don't know what you are doing, you could very easily make something that could make you very sick.... if not kill you. :(

I think the major reason why private stills are frowned upon comes down to money.

You take away from tax revenue by making your own at home.

Greed

Not only that, but if you don't know what you are doing, you could very easily make something that could make you very sick.... if not kill you. :(

Yea. I thought of going into business making a custom gas chromatograph. This would be optimized to measure only alcohol. If there's methanol in it, a solenoid valve would route the alcohol to a vessel for disposal. If it's pure ethanol, route it to your booze bottle. Methanol is toxic, and can be a product if you don't distil right. This equipment would make it safe. A fancier gas chromatograph could produce a print-out of exactly what's in your booze. So the simple one would be used for home distilling. And it doesn't have to measure everything, just ethanol vs methanol. Cost should be reduced if that's all it can measure. The fancy one that could produce a graph and printed report from a personal computer would cost more, sold to home brew stores so customers can pay them to analyze their booze. But I could only sell them if home distilling is legal.

Ok, back to fun stuff. In the US, average yield of wheat is 2.2435 tonnes per hectare. Barley grown in Manitoba produces 3 tonnes per hectare. Potatoes in the US yield 17.4 tonnes per hectare. So if the goal is to maximize booze per hectare, potatoes provide more. Should we claim that Klingon Blood Wine is made from a potato-like root vegetable?

I'm trying to figure out how to add Blood Wine to my mod. Is raw pork chop close enough to targ pancreas? One friend suggested rotting meat, but that's from a zombie. Rotting meat sound foul, it would spoil. Besides, zombies spread to villagers. Do you want a beverage that carries the disease?

Ok, back to fun stuff. In the US, average yield of wheat is 2.2435 tonnes per hectare. Barley grown in Manitoba produces 3 tonnes per hectare. Potatoes in the US yield 17.4 tonnes per hectare. So if the goal is to maximize booze per hectare, potatoes provide more. Should we claim that Klingon Blood Wine is made from a potato-like root vegetable?

I'm trying to figure out how to add Blood Wine to my mod. Is raw pork chop close enough to targ pancreas? One friend suggested rotting meat, but that's from a zombie. Rotting meat sound foul, it would spoil. Besides, zombies spread to villagers. Do you want a beverage that carries the disease?

well, how about villagers drop blood or something like that when you kill them?

Well... you could always make it so you can increase a farm animal's blood sugar by feeding it sugar cane.

Ooor... mix sugar with the blood.

Either way, sounds pretty damn disgusting...

+1 from me

I would love something new to do in TFC.

And I do brew bear beer my self, so this is a fun idea.

Posted Image

Anyway, best OP on the forum right now

Only, please make a pick-up-able non-stacking version of the barrel for easy transport of moderate amounts of booze - you can't open up a winery if all your product is in a cellar 1500 blocks away

Also, temperature should have an effect on fouling chance.

lesse, room temperature is about 22C...

so I'd say that if foul chance is F and temp in celsius is T, then

F = 0.20 + abs[0.128(T-11)]

Brewing, Distilling, and Viticulture: Alcohol!

My topic started November 29th of last year with the same suggestion.

Search engines are OP, nerf plz! ;)

No, but seriously, there are some good ideas on this thread. I just thought I'd leave our previous discussion here to make a more complete suggestion.

Brewing, Distilling, and Viticulture: Alcohol!

My topic started November 29th of last year with the same suggestion.

Search engines are OP, nerf plz! ;)/>

No, but seriously, there are some good ideas on this thread. I just thought I'd leave our previous discussion here to make a more complete suggestion.

Heck yeah I remember that awesome thread! I love those ideas, and still think fermentation included would rock!

I love this idea, *hips* ,but not the infinite amount of water in barrels,this is unbalanced

Good to see barrels appear in the game now! Hope they get used for alcohol soon. The implementation is so much smoother than the one I suggested too, though not as transparent so to speak.

Good to see barrels appear in the game now! Hope they get used for alcohol soon. The implementation is so much smoother than the one I suggested too, though not as transparent so to speak.

Damn smooth.

(Also, you've been able to *make* alcohol for a while now, although it has no use and can't be taken out of barrels. There are 7 different alcohols to make. You can make them by putting different food items in barrels with water and sealing it. Who can find all 7?)

The thing about early beer is that you don't really add sugar and yeast is in the air. Water plus mashed up gains (which has sugar) into barrel, and you have something, after a period, that may be beer. It depends on the yeast that floats in. Maybe a chance it will not produce anything drinkable?

And beer, the week stuff that the early American colonists called 'soft drink', is safer than water. Early beer in fact had little in the way of alcohol and was almost like drinking bread.

There have been MANY drink mods, one wine & beer mod, so this is not something that would be unworkable. And cool.

(Also, you've been able to *make* alcohol for a while now, although it has no use and can't be taken out of barrels. There are 7 different alcohols to make. You can make them by putting different food items in barrels with water and sealing it. Who can find all 7?)

Oh I've missed this completely! Cool!

Why does Dunk keep adding hidden features like that?

I love it!

This has all been fine and dandy, but I don't think that alcohol should give any thirst meter. Actually it should take away hydration.

This has all been fine and dandy, but I don't think that alcohol should give any thirst meter. Actually it should take away hydration.

That's how it is irl: in order for the liver to remove the alcohol from your blood, it uses water. That's how many people who drank a lot last night have a headache the next morning. I don't know the exact process since I'm not experienced in that part, but I 'm 100% sure that it makes you thirstier in time, along with the fact you can' t think and do things straight, but I think everyone knows about the last part.

Wouldn't that depend on the sort of alcohol you drank? a 5% beer would probably contain more than enough water to outweigh the liquids consumed digesting the small portion of alcohol.

It's not the alcohol that dehydrates you, it's your brain. When you drink alcohol your brain does not produce as much anti-diuretic hormones. These hormones regulates how your body will deal with hydration. Your posterior pituitary gland produces more of this hormone when your body has consumed too much salt or has not had enough water, which makes you not have to pee as often. When you produce less because of alcohol consumption your body thinks that it is over hydrated so you urinate more. If you drank 60-80 ml. of beer which has on average 10 grams of alcohol you will pee 120 ml. of water out. The same deal goes with soda except it doesn't have the fun properties of alcohol haha

Found them. :D Video in Lets Play area.

You didn't find them all. There are 7 unique alcohols.

I was thinking about this and perhaps use one block for fermentation and another like an Alembic to make liqueur or brandy (if we can make wine first).

It would be fun to add horizontal barrels perhaps placed on top of something like a tool rack so it wouldnt roll over. max of 6 could be placed above 3 racks on the floor like this:

X

X X

X X X

^^ ^^ ^^

I wanna make a liquor cellar in TFC now, like the tavern and meadery in our LP

I will discuss this with you next time we record