Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
stringburka

Brewing and beverages

80 posts in this topic

TFC has an interesting and good cooking system - I love it. However, one thing that puts a dent on an otherwise great system is the lack of things to drink. I tried looking for a suggestion on this but couldn't find one - there may very well be one that i missed, and in that case feel free to lock this thread.

I think beverages could really add something to TFC. It wouldn't be very hard to implement I think (at least compared to a lot of other systems) and would add a new depth to the farming system (fruit trees especially). It also fits very well with the slow pacing of TFC, I think, especially when it comes to things like fermentation and aging.

I understand that TFC1 is mostly going to be minor features and bugfixes and that TFC2 is a completely new beast, but I thought this might be useful as a reference in the future if nothing else, and well, it's a suggestion forum ;D

So, this is my idea.

The Barrel

This would be a new item, crafted like this.

Posted Image

It would be more or less excactly the vanilla cauldron, but made out of wood. It can be filled with water with a standard wooden bucket, and right-clicked with a bottle to fill it with water. Unlike vanilla cauldron, filling bottles from it does not empty it (since you can just drop the water in a hole and fill how many bottles you like (even with wooden buckets) it makes no sense that putting it in the cauldron would make the water less useful).

This is just like, a generally useful item and stylish way to keep your water.

Posted Image

Making Juice

In order to make juice, you place a Quern on top of an empty barrel. This marks this as a juice press, a single machine (much like how forges etc work) and the quern gains a new GUI when right-clicked, that looks like this:

Posted ImagePosted Image

It can, and need to, be filled with six fruits, berries or some vegetables (including things like tomato but not things like squash). Then the quern is activated as normal by rolling it around, and the juice is pressed into the barrel below. The juice can be removed with glass bottles as normal, but this time vanillas limit of three bottles from a cauldron applies - you get three bottles of juice out of the six fruits. If you remove the top quern, you can see the liquid that is yellowish (it seems to be the most common fruit juice color, it may make little sense for grape juice to be yellow but this keeps it simple).

Posted Image

Making Fruit Wine

Fruit Wine is made by removing the top quern from the juicepress to turn it into a normal barrel filled with juice. Then let it stand, without touching it. Every week there's a 20% chance of it fouling, but if it manages to not foul for a month, it has turned into wine. During this time, the juice has absorbed the yeast particles in the air and allowed them to grow. As a side product, by right-clicking the barrel with a gold pan you get the yeast mass too (must be done before bottling the wine). Note that this also means unbottled fruit juice risks fouling regardless, so bottle the juice as soon as you can if you want to have it.

Making Beer

So, you want to make beer? Simply throw four pieces of cereal grain (wheat, barley, rice et cetera) right into a barrel filled with water (like when throwing sticks on the ground to make a fire). The water takes on a slight brown tint. This is wort. However, let it stand for a month and it will have turned into beer, just like juice turns into wine. Yeast can be gathered as a by-product.

Posted Image

Faster brewing

Once you have yeast, you don't have to rely on the tiny amounts of yeast in the air. Instead you can just add yeast to the barrel - this reduces the brewing time from four weeks to two weeks. In addition, if you've added yeast you can put a lid on the barrel, crafted from four planks in a 2x2 pattern. This removes the risk of the brew fouling.

Posted Image

Aging the alcohol

If you put a lid on a full barrel of alcohol and don't touch it, you can allow it to age. After 6 months for beer and 18 months for wine you get Quality Beer/Wine. Letting wine age for 72 months (6 years) turns it into Great Wine. Since aging takes such a long time, it makes sense to create large wine cellars.

The effects of the beverages:

All beverages can be collected from barrels into bottles, and put back into barrels as long as any liquid in is of the same type.

Fruit Juice is filling 2, and also restores a bit of thirst.

Wine/Quality Wine/Great Wine is filling 1, thirst neutral, gives resistance 1 for 2/4/8 minutes. Also has a 30/10/0% risk of causing Mining Fatigue for 4 minutes.

Beer/Quality Beer is filling 1, thirst neutral, gives strength 1 for 2/4 minutes. Also has a 30/10% risk of causing Slowness for 4 minutes.

Further Thoughts

This is just a baseline for a simple to implement and simple to use system. It could of course be made more complex and interesting by having things similar to the meal receipts granting buffs for random combinations. It could also be made to care about temperatures - going above 37 degrees would kill fermentation, while nothing would happen while it is below 15 degrees.

So, what do you people think?

EDIT: Sorry for the picture sizes, tried resizing them but it won't be saved for some reason.

EDIT: I just realized very few beers benefit from aging, so maybe that doesn't make sense. However, I like there being something more than just "beer", and distilling seems partly borderline too high-tech (refined methods of distillation wasn't common until the 16th century as far as I know), and might be complicated to make. If possible though, being able to distill beer into whiskey and wine into brandy might be interesting.

I love the idea of brewing beer. I'm sure people will post a bunch of threads where brewing was discussed, but this is very well thought out - love the pictures and descriptions. All of your numbers seem good as well, not much to criticize on that front.

I also really like the fact that you'd have to set up a big wine cellar/brewery - sounds like something I'd really like to do.

I like it, love the thought of brewing things, though... how about adding mulled wine, and some other fun variations?

Also, if you have it in a cellar it would, most likely, be protected from heat, so maybe have it ignore heat if the lightlevels, RL, are below... like 7?

Nice work on making it a serious suggestion, hope Dunk sees and likes it.

Nice Idea But I dont like the the thing with the Vanilla cauldron...

In IndustrialCraft theres "Boozeception" Many different kinds of beer brews can be done. Strong dark Beer to Light Ale. Yes with aging.

In that mod there are real barrels crafted from 2 planks and rubber wood log. It can hold up liquid for up to 32 mugs inside. I'd like to see something like that barrel in TFC too.

Thanks for the feedback all :)

flamestrider: that's a good way of promoting cellars. Isn't a new temperature system in the works/talks at least? I though dunk had written something about temperature being reworked to be more dynamic, but I may remember wrong. If it is, cellars would probably be a good way to insulate.

Hmm, and to that on a slightly off-topic part - what if the temperature in a block was equal to it's base temperature + 1/2 light level? While light isn't heat and it would be a simplification, it'd make days be warmer than nights outside, and would make torches increase heat while darkness made it cooler - without having a complex system for it.

Cycrow: That is an option, but I wanted to make it simple enough that it could be implemented without that much work. Boozeception is pretty complex in many different ways, occupies a lot of item ID's et cetera. It's also _much_ faster than how TFC works. The benefit of using the vanilla cauldron is that it's easy to implement since it's already in, it's quite simple to balance, and it doesn't need a lot of work to be able to both remove and add liquids to it - the IC2 barrels can only have liquid removed, which I don't really like. In addition, they are always closed-lid, and I don't see how a closed lid barrel would cause spontaneous fermentation very well (it clearly can, I've had several juice bottles start to ferment, but it's after like 6 months on a shelf)

This is a great idea. It gives a reason to make yet another kind of building, and I like that.

In addition, if you've added yeast you can put a lid on the barrel, crafted from four planks in a 2x2 pattern.

I'm pretty sure you can see what's wrong with crafting the lid this way. 2x2 planks in a crafting table gives a plank block, and 2x2 plank blocks in a crafting table gives a crafting table. Perhaps a different recipe should be used, like 3x3 planks in a crafting table?

This is a great idea. It gives a reason to make yet another kind of building, and I like that.

I'm pretty sure you can see what's wrong with crafting the lid this way. 2x2 planks in a crafting table gives a plank block, and 2x2 plank blocks in a crafting table gives a crafting table. Perhaps a different recipe should be used, like 3x3 planks in a crafting table?

Or four planks in a cross design, with the middle block missing. Kind of like how gears are made with sticks in -- Insert Tech Mod Here --.

O X O X = Plank

X O X O = Empty

O X O

Edit: Actually makes more sense to have that middle block a plank as well.

Edited by dockwithme

I meant plank, not plank block ;) I felt it was an amount that made sense, considering the whole barrel is made out of material comparable to 10 planks. 4 plank blocks would also be extremely expensive for a small lid. Should've made a pic for that too xD

But yeah, dockwithme's suggestion works too, but should still be plank, not plank blocks.

More than 8 planks (2 plank blocks, 1 log) seems wrong to me.

great ide and love that you have pictures

just thinking that there need a bigger reward

yes you can have a wary big basment with a lot of barrels and have a lage fruit farm

but you still need to make all of the barrels and the fruit farm

the reward needs to be bigger than the investment in time and resources you have to but in to make it.

also way not use the wood cauldron to make juice and use a metal to make beer and/or win were you need a fire under?

and yes there than need more coding but cant the same code that the firepit are useing to make a charcoalpit be used

Besides beer and wine, I would like to see ale and rum. And different kinds of beer, wine, ale, and rum.

i am all for this, for one reason

Apple Juice, it's one of the three halves of my soul

just thinking that there need a bigger reward

yes you can have a wary big basment with a lot of barrels and have a lage fruit farm

I think the investment is low-tech and simple enough that individual payoff shouldn't be that large. It's quite easy to carry around a lot of liquid, far easier than having to warm meals before a fight. It provides a benefit that isn't otherwise available (instant buffs) so I feel they themself can't be too powerful.

The largest investment is that it takes a lot of time to get the higher-tech stuff, but not sickly so, and it's passive waiting, so you can do whatever you want during the time.

I have two banana trees and foraged them for just like one morning and one half-day, and that gave me about a stack and a half of bananas. If bananas could be juiced, that'd be about 50 bottles of juice (or as many bottles of wine, if I waited long enough). I don't think that's a very high requirement of a large farm. Especially not if some berries/crops such as tomato also work - I think a crop drops 1.5 fruits average, and it should only take like two or three years tops to get a sizable farm.

Besides beer and wine, I would like to see ale and rum. And different kinds of beer, wine, ale, and rum.

Yeah, ale would be the recipes I mentioned in the OP - basically, since the beer/ale here is made the way ale is made, it's mostly just a case of the amount of hops. But I'm no expert at brewing (and far to bad to talk about it in english, which have very different expressions for those things and a very different beer/ale culture).

In the same way, making beer out of rice is done in the real world too, but rice is more known as an ingredient in wine, and it'd be nice to have rice wine.

And in the same way, of course, having different juices for different fruits would be fantastic. I wanted to make the base concept simple, but adding ale, rice wine and different juices would make it a lot more interesting. I wonder how one would go about differentiating them though - I feel if we have beer/ale/rice wine, there should be some difference between them, but not to huge.

When it comes to rum, I feel distilling is borderline too high-tech, but only borderline. It should be really late-tech to do it at least. But if it's possible, both brandy, whiskey, rum and vodka shouldn't be too hard to make (though I imagine vodka might be the hardest, as that's usually distilled to a much higher percentage).

I will put potatoes in there...and I WILL make vodka!

~The resident Russian/Alcoholic

I will put potatoes in there...and I WILL make vodka!

~The resident Russian/Alcoholic

Yeah, potatos really fit there. On that note, when I studied for bartender, we learnt that pine foliage has been used to make vodka in modern times, but I can't find anything on it and now I start wondering if that's even possible. If it is, it'd be a cool thing to have.

pine foliage

o.O I thought that was only used for pine "tea"?

edit: spelling

o.O What CAN'T be made into vodka?

Heh. Not much.

I wonder if there's some way to alcoholize fat or proteins. It'd be interesting to have meatbeer. In real life, I mean.

Rubber Ducks....i think

Or four planks in a cross design, with the middle block missing. Kind of like how gears are made with sticks in -- Insert Tech Mod Here --.

O X O X = Plank

X O X O = Empty

O X O

Edit: Actually makes more sense to have that middle block a plank as well.

Or, he was talking about actual planks, not plank blocks :)

+1 from me

I would love something new to do in TFC.

And I do brew bear beer my self, so this is a fun idea.

And I do brew bear my self, so this is a fun idea.

poor bear :(

*facepalms*

Liking your own posts.....really? :P

+1 from me

I would love something new to do in TFC.

And I do brew bear beer my self, so this is a fun idea.

Is brew bear the adult version of pooh bear? Instead of honey he asks for mead? Or bitches? Or both?