Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sda215

The (Inevitable) End of the TFC Forums -- Now a Forum for Newcomers and Veterans

93 posts in this topic

I feel like a late comer to the party.  Of course I just started playing Minecraft last Spring.  No game, no matter how great will hold one's interest forever.  My personal time frame with even the best games is about 12 to 18 months before boredom or burnout takes hold. The ability to mod a game greatly extends this time of course.  I've found that taking breaks and playing other games helps.  I was hoping to find an active vibrant community here, but all I see are a few newcomers and a couple of old timers, with very little really being said.  Also, there seems to be an unhappy, almost angry mood hanging over the place.  I'm not sure if there is a specific cause or if it's just the continual frustration from having to deal with children or those with a childlike mentality. I'm a 27 year veteran of the Military, so I have very little patience for stupidity, but you can let it get to you or just ignore it.

I also tend to say what I think and might at times be too blunt.  If so, I apologize.  No harm intended.  I really like what's being done with this mod and if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.  I look forward to seeing what future updates hold. 

Will

Also, there seems to be an unhappy, almost angry mood hanging over the place. 

I rather agree... but this might be common to many fora (forums?). The TFC community is small. Maybe many more people play the mod and are not registered here or do not post, but we are still talking about a small proportion of all MC players. Browse youtube for lets plays, and you wont find a heck of a lot. So that's how i judge the size of the community. The best videos are made by the mindcrack members in my opinion. I play TFC because i'm driven by their enthusiasm rather than from people showing off on these forums. However, i do enjoy reading about the occasional adventures people describe here - the rest probably plays out on multiplayer servers. I also enjoy the flow of updates for the mod and even the gratification that a bug of feature i suggested gets fixed/implemented. Finally, something about myself. I do not wish to open up as much as might be necessary for a vibrant community and since i only play single player mode, i do not read the multiplayer servers forums so i do not know what is going on in there. I was once part of an audiophile community of a media player no longer in development. But when things went sour, i learned it is unhealthy to get emotionally involved. I registered here to do mainly two things, 1) show off some of my builds in single player and 2) help new-comers to learn the basics of TFC. 

Благородная цель, на счет новичков.

Благородная цель, на счет новичков.

ah Petersburg otschen charascho  ...  we should learn all the russian language

ah Petersburg otschen charascho  ...  we should learn all the russian language

это может быть очень классно

also i have a feeling people are forgetting the lurkers. ones who watch from the shadows and necro dead threads about steam pipes and whatnot. there may not be a lot of people posting i guess but i think there are still a lot of people who check in every once in a while to see what is going on and start posting once there is something new happening.

now that i think about it the community is like a hibernating bear that explodes into action during the summer and then slows down and sleeps during the winter.

Things change as time goes by. As quoted by Pharos:

"No one can escape time. It delivers all to the same end. You can't plug your ears and cover your eyes."

Certainly, if you were to compare the younger, immature me with the person you're speaking to right now, one would be lead to believe we're completely different persons.

0_0 I HAVE FOUND A RECENT POST. I AM NOT ALONE!!!

I am a proficient lurker on this forum. I have been visiting it at least once per day for years. I'm 100% sure that there are many others like me.

I too used to lurk this forum. But now that im here, I Intend to stay!

Ya how will the creators and admins reject stupid suggestions of this isnt here any more! I presume a free digital puppy for every post!

So..... I'm afraid I am a little late for the party...

Anyone here?

im always here dukejuke. lol i lurk fro time to time to keep the addons i use updated and the check up on TFC2 updates. :3

On 1/19/2017 at 4:39 AM, dukejuke said:

So..... I'm afraid I am a little late for the party...

Anyone here?

I know that this reply is almost exactly a month late, but I'm still here. Kitty and Bunsen as well.

As far as I know, none of the other older members are here anymore. Aside from the mods, I think it's just you, me, Terex, and maybe Dunk. Seems like we're all relics of a bygone past, aren't we? :)

Man, was I such a younger mind back in the day...

Oh man, that's....

Yeah, back when the world was young eh? :wub:

Where did Noodles go off to? Or our resident real life miner?

And.... B is still active right?

Peekaboo, I'm still ghosting around here, though I don't really post anymore and spend my days hiding credit card ads.

I was only here for around a few months actively, and since then just ghosting about the forums looking at references for my lone playthrough, and keeping an eye out for potential servers rising up. (With no success really)

Seeing as how this thread started... 3 years ago? I can't imagine how it was back when updates were rare but still happening, everything's kinda slowed into a game of praying that TFC2 isn't lost in development Purgatory while the rare and few enjoy TFC's last version for what it was left as.

I suppose with the versions having stopped, and TFC's prime being yester-years ago, the forum's just been running through a slow age of people running the paces of TFC until there's nowhere forward to move, and servers aren't staying populated enough to really build the community around.

On 24/3/2017 at 5:45 PM, Codaisthisguy said:

I was only here for around a few months actively, and since then just ghosting about the forums looking at references for my lone playthrough, and keeping an eye out for potential servers rising up. (With no success really)

Seeing as how this thread started... 3 years ago? I can't imagine how it was back when updates were rare but still happening, everything's kinda slowed into a game of praying that TFC2 isn't lost in development Purgatory while the rare and few enjoy TFC's last version for what it was left as.

I suppose with the versions having stopped, and TFC's prime being yester-years ago, the forum's just been running through a slow age of people running the paces of TFC until there's nowhere forward to move, and servers aren't staying populated enough to really build the community around.

Actually, B was really generous with the upates then. Might partly be because of frequent bugfixes and "ohgodnowhathaveiwrought" moments,
i remember distinctly there once were five patches to a new version, all in the same day.

99 little bugs in the code
take one down, patch it all around.

117 little bugs in the code
take one down....

Dunk was kinda moderating the forums, and always had something to say to suggestions, be it good or full on lockdown. Derails were a norm too.

(Sherlock Holmes incident anyone?)

It seems like things are too serious nowadays :unsure:

Actually, the revival of Minecraft of a game recently has had positive effects on the TFC community, too. TFC can now be said not to be dying - instead, it's prospering with two active forks, TFC-TNG (TFC 1.12) and TFC+, both with over 3000 and 1000 members on Discord respectively.

Dries has mentioned that the Terrafirmacraft forums might be archived and replaced with a more modern solution. This is because the current software is troublesome to work with, and this prevents any progress forum-side. Hopefully, once the new solution is set up, the forums will become lively again.