Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sda215

The (Inevitable) End of the TFC Forums -- Now a Forum for Newcomers and Veterans

93 posts in this topic

Seems that you need more forum veterans here. Tbh, I didn't post so much in the "third age", because I was busy. I also noticed many other vets doing this. Maybe because in the third age TFC didn't have so many releases. Also, lots of users are gone away, like Esteban, Ditto, Scooterdanny (he went away before the third age), EternalUndeath and many others that we may and, probably, will miss.

How exactly does this age system work?

How exactly does this age system work?

In the Age System, for every six months (I decided to increase the number from three to six), an age is defined in that time interval. We've recently started the Third Age, since the Second Age was a time of turmoil and the increasing disappearance of TFC Veterans, which was a sad age. We have yet to see what happens in the beginning of the Third Age (The First Age was a time in the Elder Days [TFC Alpha] of TerraFirmaCraft).

...the increasing disappearance of TFC Veterans, which was a sad age.

Yeah, sure that it was sad. Lots of them were really nice and funny.

In the Age System, for every six months (I decided to increase the number from three to six), an age is defined in that time interval. We've recently started the Third Age, since the Second Age was a time of turmoil and the increasing disappearance of TFC Veterans, which was a sad age. We have yet to see what happens in the beginning of the Third Age (The First Age was a time in the Elder Days [TFC Alpha] of TerraFirmaCraft).

With that system the summer would be included in the 2nd age, and that's bollocks if you ask me. The summer and into early fall was when this place thrived.

With that system the summer would be included in the 2nd age, and that's bollocks if you ask me. The summer and into early fall was when this place thrived.

yes, i'd have to say the second age began around more january/late december, as these forums were rather active up until then

I know im a bit late to the party, but I would just like to speak my peace on this. I lurk alot, Im a programmer, and my job lets me do dumb stuff, like youtube, and listen to music all day, and sometimes I find myself in need of just, well backing away from whatever im working on and let go for a few minutes. This helps me work through whatever problem im dealing with. I usually use those times to come here and post. At first I started posting discussions / suggestions, but I stopped shortly there after, after seeing most ideas (sometimes spectacularly good ideas), get hashed out by the community, and never spoken of again. After getting over that, and accepting that the suggestions, even if really popular and well hashed out, arent really making it into the game (with a few notabe exceptions), I decided to hang out in IRC, and maybe get to see whats going on with the dev team. While there I learned that Bioxx didnt (dono if he does now) even view these forums unless he had to. We had to rely on dunk, or other people in IRC to relay information to the dev team. To me that meant that dev, through inaction and relying on second hand information, was either too busy or just didnt want to engage much with the community, and the information they were getting was from a single (or a very small number of) interpretation of posts. Watching posts about Dunks homework get 30x the number of views of legitimate suggestions was painful, so I trended away from suggestions and started focusing on support. I tried to be nice, and help people who were being mindnumbingly ignorant, but that scene quickly fell appart as well, because more and more of the posts were simply being replied to with "search the forum" or "stupid noob" or some other really unhelpful, sometimes slanderous attacks on people who were just looking for help. This made it really difficult for me to want to go and help out people who are just having trouble because shortly after a legitmate post, the thread would fill with all these "God TFC is so easy to install, read a book you douche" type posts :/. So now I typically just lurk around, looking for new posts, and usually dont find them. As for TCF2, I read that sea level will be at lvl 16, and im all about mining. That alone really depressed me, but the island chain thing is the worst of all imo. I play this game usually with my wife, and boating is a nightmare, and something she really doesnt want to do, so TFC2 is not something we will be playing. If these things prove to be true, I probably wont play it much, and I know my wife wont at all. As for posts, I wont have much to contribute to the community until 76 comes out, if it ever does...

I dont have any solutions, and as of today, im going to continue to just lurk. I just felt like maybe my experiences here since I joined might be identifiable to some of you, and maybe shed some light on what I can only assume is a typical experience for people who come to this forum, and a contributor to its decline.

A community which reinforces poor behavior inevitably collapses from within. I've watched good members take flack and then back away from the forums after trying to make them a more open and accepting place for new arrivals. I think, though, that Crysyn is making some good progress in this area. His post on the matter was very refreshing, and I think that it will serve as a strong foundation for the community which is bound to spring up around TFC2.

I know im a bit late to the party, but I would just like to speak my peace on this. I lurk alot, Im a programmer, and my job lets me do dumb stuff, like youtube, and listen to music all day, and sometimes I find myself in need of just, well backing away from whatever im working on and let go for a few minutes. This helps me work through whatever problem im dealing with. I usually use those times to come here and post. At first I started posting discussions / suggestions, but I stopped shortly there after, after seeing most ideas (sometimes spectacularly good ideas), get hashed out by the community, and never spoken of again. After getting over that, and accepting that the suggestions, even if really popular and well hashed out, arent really making it into the game (with a few notabe exceptions), I decided to hang out in IRC, and maybe get to see whats going on with the dev team. While there I learned that Bioxx didnt (dono if he does now) even view these forums unless he had to. We had to rely on dunk, or other people in IRC to relay information to the dev team. To me that meant that dev, through inaction and relying on second hand information, was either too busy or just didnt want to engage much with the community, and the information they were getting was from a single (or a very small number of) interpretation of posts. Watching posts about Dunks homework get 30x the number of views of legitimate suggestions was painful, so I trended away from suggestions and started focusing on support. I tried to be nice, and help people who were being mindnumbingly ignorant, but that scene quickly fell appart as well, because more and more of the posts were simply being replied to with "search the forum" or "stupid noob" or some other really unhelpful, sometimes slanderous attacks on people who were just looking for help. This made it really difficult for me to want to go and help out people who are just having trouble because shortly after a legitmate post, the thread would fill with all these "God TFC is so easy to install, read a book you douche" type posts :/. So now I typically just lurk around, looking for new posts, and usually dont find them. As for TCF2, I read that sea level will be at lvl 16, and im all about mining. That alone really depressed me, but the island chain thing is the worst of all imo. I play this game usually with my wife, and boating is a nightmare, and something she really doesnt want to do, so TFC2 is not something we will be playing. If these things prove to be true, I probably wont play it much, and I know my wife wont at all. As for posts, I wont have much to contribute to the community until 76 comes out, if it ever does...

I dont have any solutions, and as of today, im going to continue to just lurk. I just felt like maybe my experiences here since I joined might be identifiable to some of you, and maybe shed some light on what I can only assume is a typical experience for people who come to this forum, and a contributor to its decline.

It's quite disappointing to hear that, MDub.

A community which reinforces poor behavior inevitably collapses from within. I've watched good members take flack and then back away from the forums after trying to make them a more open and accepting place for new arrivals. I think, though, that Crysyn is making some good progress in this area. His post on the matter was very refreshing, and I think that it will serve as a strong foundation for the community which is bound to spring up around TFC2.

We can only hope to see what affect his progress will make, but I agree with you. Crysyn's progress might make the TFCII Forums a much more interesting and hopefully safer place.

However, History has a tendacy to repeat itself.

although these forums might end sooner than expected if the pictures stay so dagnabbed small...

no srg, dont go berzerk about the pictures, im gonna keep hammering spanser about it :D

also, i like ti pride myself on having helped reduce the negativity by a large deal, and being partly responsible for helping crysyn's public statement being executed.

as for the boating issue mdub, i think me and some other guys have convinced crysyn that it needs a rework given tfc2's enlarged focus on naval systems, and we've brought forth some amazing ideas already, lets see how that works out before writing it off as bad boating = bad mod

and remember, since world generation will now go all the way up to 256 instead of vanilla's limited 128, and bioxx has MASSIVE control over its generation compared to before, you will get awesome mountain ranges that allow you to make a extensive honeycomb of mines inside, that should replace your issue of underground feeling, (and theres also a suggestion for a entirely underground dimension being raised and hailed, perhaps post there?)

most sincerely,

a member that hasnt taken enough flack to back off yet :D

I think Google makes an account on every forum they find so they can map it out to improve searches for the forum via Google.

hmmm but still... its quite hilarious isn't it ^^

Although I would never call someone on this forum a lazy idiot for asking how to install a mod I do notice that more and more posts are turning from "I tried hard to do it myself" to "I'm bad with computers so you do it for me"i rarely respond to the first type but I would never bother with the second. If you are too lazy to even try it try again then you don't deserve help.

@killsert, Well, I never said I was going to write it off :P. I will without a doubt try TFC2, and may very well enjoy it (with or without the wife :D), but given the information I have now, it doesnt seem likely. Whatever I choose to do, im not stubborn enough to go so far as to not even try it.

@TK You seem to be pretty knowledgable with computer science, and thats a big plus, but remember youre bias. Alot of people just dont 'get it' when it comes to computers, and trying to do it typically ends in failure. I wouldnt willingly engage in some behavior which has historically ruined my day, or otherwise worked out badly for me unless I absolutely had to. You cant just assume people are lazy because they dont want to try to modify files for a game they enjoy, especially when you know nothing about their technical background. Luckly, this problem in particular will probably just go away when TFC is in FTB.

I just must say sorry for all my absense in these forums... just too much work :/ and last 3 months my commuting route is over a hour per oneway x/ And having kids and (soon to be wife??) girlfriend takes their own time :) Winter just takes its toll on all heavymachinery and all this new courses for all upcoming stuff for those things are taking much time, so im like waking up 6 am, come back 4-5 pm, and rest off the day goes reading new manuals and playing with my kids so just not enough hours in days to play much :/ I have been checking in now and then but noticed that this place has gone quiet, maybe TFC2 helps? Im atleast trying to get back in bughunting when workload eases off my back :P

@killsert, Well, I never said I was going to write it off :P/>. I will without a doubt try TFC2, and may very well enjoy it (with or without the wife :D/>), but given the information I have now, it doesnt seem likely. Whatever I choose to do, im not stubborn enough to go so far as to not even try it.

@TK You seem to be pretty knowledgable with computer science, and thats a big plus, but remember youre bias. Alot of people just dont 'get it' when it comes to computers, and trying to do it typically ends in failure. I wouldnt willingly engage in some behavior which has historically ruined my day, or otherwise worked out badly for me unless I absolutely had to. You cant just assume people are lazy because they dont want to try to modify files for a game they enjoy, especially when you know nothing about their technical background. Luckly, this problem in particular will probably just go away when TFC is in FTB.

Well I'm not your regular pc user. You are right in some respects but I still think people are being a bit lazy. When I see a problem in something I don't just give up or try to go around. I punch that problem to death with my bare fists. And if it takes 10 minutes or 10 years I don't give up. I started trying to learn to program when I got my first computer when I was 8. At first i was highly confused but eventually here I am not giving a damn that the problems I'm solving have already been solved and trying to solve them myself. When I first saw dwarf fortress in its true glory I wasn't scared by the interface in plowed straight in so instead of failing to get past the embark screen i now fail in even more creative ways like having my military slaughtered by 3 goblin sieges in a row and the attack of a forgotten beast which eventually lead my fortress to go into a spiral of decline.

I might be unique but what is stopping all those people from facing problems in the same way?

When I first saw dwarf fortress in its true glory I wasn't scared by the interface in plowed straight in so instead of failing to get past the embark screen i now fail in even more creative ways like having my military slaughtered by 3 goblin sieges in a row and the attack of a forgotten beast which eventually lead my fortress to go into a spiral of decline.

At this point in my Dwarf Fortress career, if all that takes me down is a tantrum spiral, I count it as a win.

At this point in my Dwarf Fortress career, if all that takes me down is a tantrum spiral, I count it as a win.

I mean I had fought off the 3 goblin sieges and killed the forgotten beast and I also could have probably managed to bring the fortress back up from the tantrum spiral but I was getting a bit bored with the fortress,

I managed to survive a tantrum spiral once, but I lost the will to continue and tried destroying it, which took too long and I abandoned it, rather. Same with a more recent fortress. Had to lock myself out from my first goblin invasion, as I was still getting my military ready. After a little while, I again lost the will to continue and tried to let them in, only the remaining goblins (as their first wave was disasterous due to traps) were pummelled, though the ones got through did some carnage, but were killed by my hunters. Decided to dig into cavern I discovered, nothing happened after little while, abandoned it.

I should probably be more patient about destruction.

I might be unique but what is stopping all those people from facing problems in the same way?

Let me refer you to my original point. They are not you, you dont share identical experiences, skills, or motivations. Believe it or not, people do behave differently from individual to individual, and their motivations are often times much more complex than simply "they are lazy".

I find it troubling that you dont understand this... its like you lack a theory of mind or something :/. You might wanna consider working on your interpersonal skills, especially empathy :P.

Let me refer you to my original point. They are not you, you dont share identical experiences, skills, or motivations. Believe it or not, people do behave differently from individual to individual, and their motivations are often times much more complex than simply "they are lazy".

I find it troubling that you dont understand this... its like you lack a theory of mind or something :/. You might wanna consider working on your interpersonal skills, especially empathy :P/>.

Lies! You spew liiieeees!

We are all the same. You are me! I am you! We are one!

I have no choice but to call the Grammaton Clerics now!

Your individualistic viewpoints must be purged!

I find it troubling that you dont understand this... its like you lack a theory of mind or something :/. You might wanna consider working on your interpersonal skills, especially empathy :P.

Heh, active empathy.

EDIT: Wait what?...wrong thread.......

Since this a derail i will get it back on topic, following the law of similarity it is a good thing to be individual.

Menoch, if i punched myself in the balls, you would feel the pain too, to that degree in which we are similar.

That said it would be passive empathy as it is in our nature we are similar.

Active sympathy on the other hand is forcing our natures to be alike by means of (yes -TK-) active empathy.

The inverse side of this is antipathy (???), is differing and not being similar to one another, take for example -TK-.

Following Mdub's statement he passively is different in nature as others, that would mean that it would not work the way as with menoch.

Or he is actually actively trying to be different from others. Thereby both ways would not work.

That is commonly known as the law of similarity, or empathy magic.

Derail turned back to on topic derail :P.

Menoch, if i punched myself in the balls, you would feel the pain too, to that degree in which we are similar.

Really?

Mmm...yes ... your theory... it...

Ok. Go ahead and lets test that.

If I don't respond, do it again... it may not have been hard enough.