Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turtletechy

More Clay!

12 posts in this topic

Seriously, this is a major issue in the game. There is almost no clay. There needs to be more clay upon world generation. I've only found enough on my main world to make two tools. Otherwise, if it would be possible to make the ceramic molds reusable, that would work equally well.

Seriously, this is a major issue in the game. There is almost no clay. There needs to be more clay upon world generation. I've only found enough on my main world to make two tools. Otherwise, if it would be possible to make the ceramic molds reusable, that would work equally well.

I've never really had a problem with clay, but some people do report it. The thing is, clay can spawn quite a ways from any water, so the restriction of clay only spawning near rivers and stuff isn't always true. That, and grass can grow over clay, so it can be very hard to find. Just keep looking, it's there somewhere.

I've never really had a problem with clay, but some people do report it. The thing is, clay can spawn quite a ways from any water, so the restriction of clay only spawning near rivers and stuff isn't always true. That, and grass can grow over clay, so it can be very hard to find. Just keep looking, it's there somewhere.

Isn't it funny, I went looking around after this, and I just started digging a pit to get some dirt to fill a hole I had made while trying to pan for minerals, seeing that I broke my last pick, and I found clay finally, and not just a little bit, but a whole mess of it. Time to smelt up the half an inventory of copper I found in my mine I suppose now. BTW, that mine is wonderful now. I found a good deposit of copper, as well as galena (for silver).

Isn't it funny, I went looking around after this, and I just started digging a pit to get some dirt to fill a hole I had made while trying to pan for minerals, seeing that I broke my last pick, and I found clay finally, and not just a little bit, but a whole mess of it. Time to smelt up the half an inventory of copper I found in my mine I suppose now. BTW, that mine is wonderful now. I found a good deposit of copper, as well as galena (for silver).

Told you! Have fun with the clay you'll never end up completely using :D

Told you! Have fun with the clay you'll never end up completely using :D

IKR. I've got over 128 molds now. So I'm good for quite a while. Too bad there isn't another purpose for clay. I think it could be used to make bricks, not the usual minecraft bricks, but something similar. But as another thing, I made a mistake I don't think I'll want to make again. I tried smelting copper ore over a campfire. It doesn't really work. I really don't know how I'm going to get it hot enough. I'd make a bloomery, but I can't make the chisel needed to make the stone bricks. Stone chisels would be a nice thing to have, maybe do something to limit their use to only a few types of rock, such as only the sedimentary rock, and have the chisel needing to be made from something harder, and only for three or four uses, so they aren't inexpensive enough to replace a normal chisel.

Isn't it funny, I went looking around after this, and I just started digging a pit to get some dirt to fill a hole I had made while trying to pan for minerals, seeing that I broke my last pick, and I found clay finally, and not just a little bit, but a whole mess of it.

I had something similar happen in my previous seed. Had to travel a couple of hundreds of meters before I found my first clay. Later, while digging around my home, I found clay within about 50m of my spawn point. Damn grass!

On my current world I haven't found any clay yet. I have travelled many 1000 blocks, checked shores and cliffs and found none.

I am in a wet biome. (1000 rain)

I even sailed over a vast ocean to warmer climates (like 8000 blocks) and still nothing there.

Any ideas?

On my current world I haven't found any clay yet. I have travelled many 1000 blocks, checked shores and cliffs and found none.

I even sailed over a vast ocean to warmer climates (like 8000 blocks) and still nothing there.

Any ideas?

Dig randomly near the water. In time, you'll be lucky. And hundreds of meters isn't a big deal, what kind of man are you? I travelled 500m to find a good place to make my home. Don't complain if its a long distance. It really isn't. 5000m might be something to complain about though. Not that much though, really.

Any ideas?

Start digging (but don't break the dirt!) any dirt with a shovel. From my experiences, grass-grown clay, when applying a shovel, has a slight difference in terms of the breaking process compared to grass-grown dirt.

And hundreds of meters isn't a big deal, what kind of man are you? I travelled 500m to find a good place to make my home.

I didn't check only hundreds of meters, I checked thousands. A square kilometer for sure.

Start digging (but don't break the dirt!) any dirt with a shovel. From my experiences, grass-grown clay, when applying a shovel, has a slight difference in terms of the breaking process compared to grass-grown dirt.

Thanks for the hint. Though I have no idea how it should look like, if there actually is clay under the grass. But I'll see in time I guess

Ok, now I've finally found clay. It was quite a bit away, though I should have found it the first time around.

Posted Image

It was about 400 meters away at the shore of a river. I don't know if you can see this here, but the area I'm in is pretty hilly. To the right of the screenshot is the ocean with a shore just as steep and it is that way for longer than that 400 meters. And nowhere on that coast did I find clay.

Anyway I finally did find clay, so all is well. I just think it could be a bit more common.

Clay is plenty common. A good hint if you're having trouble is to turn off better grass in the configs, removing the grass growth on vertical surfaces, and switch to the Blockheads texture pack as its clay is a very distinctive orangy red which can be seen from a long way off.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0