Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
spuksas

What do you think about TFC2?

41 posts in this topic

Just post here your opinion and what do you think or know it is going to be like. Will you play it?

i hope they dont make to many different color pixels in their textures this time >_<

they should let the one who did the food textures make all the textures! ^^

I like too much the new terrain generation that will be introduced...the idea of having a lot of islands is awesome :D !!!

Personally, I wish we didn't have to sacrifice the underground areas in favour of the mountains, but given the choice, I'd go for the mountains

Personally, I wish we didn't have to sacrifice the underground areas in favour of the mountains, but given the choice, I'd go for the mountains

Ore generation should not depend on absolute depth, but on depth relative to the surface. That way, mining mountains would be an easier way of getting high tier metals, as they would be generated much higher.

I think "depth", for this definition, should be the distance to the nearest sunlit block. I don't imagine it to feel believable to have extreme ore abundancies in the easily-reached base of a very steep mountain.

I think "depth", for this definition, should be the distance to the nearest sunlit block. I don't imagine it to feel believable to have extreme ore abundancies in the easily-reached base of a very steep mountain.

But that does make some sense tho..

maybe bioxx could make most islands angular up and have some plateau-esque islands that have a nice cliffdrop, makes for a nice house and adequate space to go underground too, also i hope waterfalls will now look tons better :3

More crazy terrain gen lie this awesome vista/island chain thing, and plateaus, rolling hills, REAL mountains....underwater caverns, Mariana Trench type things (the landform, not the band. :P)...

I like the large islands for a lot of things-- but I feel like they should maybe be a bit bigger than Bioxx is currently discussing. 2k across is a decent size, but it's going to feel small after dealing with the very landmass-heavy terrain gen of TFC1. I'd rather see them in the 3-4k range than the 2-3k one.

Or maybe there could a way to toggle landmass size in the world generation? Small islands, large islands, TFC1 super-continents, etc.

Eh, 2km is pretty small, and unless Bioxx is secretly working on improved transport over the water I'd rather the islands be bigger, but if not then 2km islands rather close together would be fine for me.

I like that he's willing to actually add his own flavour for it instead of just modifying essentially what is current minecraft generation.

/me still needs a massive naval update, the entire ocean is just water, squid, and a moveable block boat with a crappy animation, FIX THAT PUHLEASE *begs bioxx*

sigh. I hear you guys about naval changes. Someone needs to revive and retool Ships and Boats for much improved transportation.. and man would it be fun to live on a boat! make sure the beds work properly and all :)

the islands are 4k, with a radius of 2k(source: IRC) This is a rough number due to psudorandomization. There is an approximate 'buffer' space of 2k between grid squares the islands generate in. This makes for a total of 8k. I may be wrong in this and could have misread, but that is a lot.

Mineral and ore depots are in nature not dependent on relative distance to any object(however surrounding rocks do play a role). the ores we mine and use today are the result of tectonics and erosion. Smaller depots ARE generally found closer to the surface however quite large ones can be found as well. If ore changes at all, it should be to disassociate ourselves from the depth system and move into simulated tectonics pre-mapgen. My point in this is that simply saying 'distance from surface' is not where we need to go with this as a blanket rule.

If I can make a statement, I think hot air balloons would be nice. Expensive, but nice. Or zepplins, even better. Nothing too big, but big enough to make sense. You need room for your fuel. And ballast, of course. Need to be able to steer, am I right?

I really don't think different terrain gen is what TFC needs right now. I think it is fine right now. What it needs: better and much more logical ore generation, make actual use of the ores it generates, more breath of features (eg. stuff you can do early or mid-game, without need of high-end metals, like brewing, clothscrafting, glassmaking, woodcrafting, etc.), more end-game features (eg. mechanical energy, steam power, pipes).

I'd also wish that, and I'm not sure I would go for the mountains given the choice :(

the islands are 4k, with a radius of 2k [...]

I'm not sure I get this. Do you mean to say 4k length and 2k breadth? And I'm not sure I get the 2k being a radius either. If that was the case, the total area would be closer to 12k if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, if islands are indeed generated in 'chains' I personally wouldn't mind smaller sized islands compared to the current worldgen.

I really don't think different terrain gen is what TFC needs right now. [...]

As you correctly point out there is somewhat a lack of breadth except for metallurgy and agriculture to a point.

However, as I've understood, the current tfc is quite problematic in regards to implementing new features, hence the total rewrite.

Furthermore, if the mod is being built up from scratch why not make an effort to get rid of the current world gen? To me it does not currently feel believable. The world consistently consists of 3 rock layers with ore being concentrated in the border zones between these layers. Essentially making depth and not knowledge about rock types and their ability to generate specific ores the primary factor for success in mining. Basically the way things currently are, mining in tfc1 still feels alot like mining in vanilla. Any effort made on the developers part to move away from vanilla and to a more complex, rich and believable gameplay is welcomed by yours sincerely.

Tbh I'd have no problems sacrificing a black goat on an altar in the middle of a pentagram drawn with blood if that's what it takes to move this mod out of the dark ages that is vanilla. ;)

to lazy to copy paste so... Guy above me:

I am not speaking in terms of area. I am speaking in terms of radius. The radius is simply 'half way to the middle' and thus the total distance between any two given points on opposing ends(at sea level) is approximately 4k. Again, I could be wrong on the distance, Bioxx already corrected me about the 2k buffer space(its 1k, making a total of 2k for each)

I really don't think different terrain gen is what TFC needs right now. I think it is fine right now. What it needs: better and much more logical ore generation, make actual use of the ores it generates, more breath of features (eg. stuff you can do early or mid-game, without need of high-end metals, like brewing, clothscrafting, glassmaking, woodcrafting, etc.), more end-game features (eg. mechanical energy, steam power, pipes).

Agreed 100% here. Obviously, revised terrain generation is just the starting point of the rewrite and hopefully debugging all of the existing features will be easier now that they aren't being tacked on after the fact and instead worked into the code from the beginning (I assume at least). But beyond that, what the mod really needs is more depth in various processes. It starts to feel repetitive using essentially the same technology/processes you used in the stone age and tier 0 metal age all the way through endgame. You should really be able to approach things differently as you get access to better materials.

As an example, think back to when you were able to make your first metal tools (likely a pickaxe, prospecting pick, and chisel)... It felt like a whole new game, as now you could bust through stone, build forges and bloomeries, and just generally feel awesome. The problem is that that's pretty much it, from there the only new and exciting things to happen are being able to make a few things with wrought iron and being able to make water spring/lava buckets at endgame. There's definitely room for improvement in other areas the quoted poster mentioned (brewing, tailoring, etc.), but even before that, I think that there's a lot of room for improvement on just dealing with metalworking. Things like blast furnaces and tempering come to mind immediately.

So yeah, that's my hopes for TFC2... I'm really hoping that the game continues to provide fresh, exciting experiences through all the ages. I also know it's a lot of work to make a total conversion mod as detailed as TFC with just 1-2 coders, though, so my hat is certainly off to them for everything so far and I certainly don't begrudge them for going at a pace that some of those bigger modding groups would scoff at.

Could not agree more with Credinus. I do not really care much how the world generates (in fact it is rather disappointing I can no longer build a huge underground fortress and be a dwarf because sea level is being raised so much)

More than that though, I really do miss that awesome feeling when you slowly upgrade in technologies during the stone age and early metal. Terrafirma craft really does give you this amazing feeling of advancement no other game has. Sadly, it is short lived as there is not much of a change from the Copper and Bronze age until the end game. I feel like new blocks and abilites should be provided with each new age, not just new items.

I am not trying to complain. This is without a doubt one of my favorite mods. It is very well thought out so far and is extremely unique. The mod already adds amazing things such as charcola pits, forges, breading, aggriculture (which is sadly not used due to over powered fruit trees :( ), smithing, cooking, chisels which actually allows statues and art, and so many other features. I just think it would be more interesting if you advanced long term in more aspects than just what your pickaxe is made from.

I really hope he changes smithing. taking more than an anvil hopefully, but at least changing the numbers on the anvil buttons. too many people have figured out the numbers. maybe a random choice of 3 numbers for each button instead of set numbers?

Could not agree more with Credinus. I do not really care much how the world generates (in fact it is rather disappointing I can no longer build a huge underground fortress and be a dwarf because sea level is being raised so much)

More than that though, I really do miss that awesome feeling when you slowly upgrade in technologies during the stone age and early metal. Terrafirma craft really does give you this amazing feeling of advancement no other game has. Sadly, it is short lived as there is not much of a change from the Copper and Bronze age until the end game. I feel like new blocks and abilites should be provided with each new age, not just new items.

I am not trying to complain. This is without a doubt one of my favorite mods. It is very well thought out so far and is extremely unique. The mod already adds amazing things such as charcola pits, forges, breading, aggriculture (which is sadly not used due to over powered fruit trees :( ), smithing, cooking, chisels which actually allows statues and art, and so many other features. I just think it would be more interesting if you advanced long term in more aspects than just what your pickaxe is made from.

I have to say I agree with alot of what you said; what really gets me is the lack of 'further development' after you reach the basic metal tools (tin, copper, bronze) and that is generally where I begin to loose interest and start a new game. Further objectives while retaining a sandbox environment would be amazing, though I'm stumped myself on what could be added to achieve this/that.

the standing tradition of adding everything world-gen, then implement a use for it later.... (saltpert, olivine, etc...) i have to question if that is the right way to go about those features!

we may not NEED to start a new map with every game update, but i think a lot of people do anyway. so we arent really saving ourselves anything by implementing the minerals in before a use for them. if anything its a huge annoyance having to navigate around all the "useless" items. my suggestion. make your worldgen addition be like a plugin, where you could add any number of new worldgen features without needing to reprogram the entire thing from the ground up. If you add a new worldgen item i'm sure everyone will be more than happy to make a new world to see what kind of new and crazy use they can have for it. Honestly i have total confidence in bioxx' plan and ideas in tfc. every new feature is well thought out and has a good reason for being added.