Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Danelli

The complete range weapon revamp

13 posts in this topic

Okay, so this is in fact my third suggestion on range weapons. I personally feel I did a terrible job with the other two and if the forum moderators could just delete them I would be very grateful. Before I start, I would like to thank ejzzje, who helped correct a bloody ton of my mistakes in my previous suggestion and this one. I also want to quickly apologize I cannot say exact damage values, but I do not know the default life of a player or any of the mobs in TFC. Anyways, on to the idea...

The sling shot:

This tool is created by putting a stone knife and one piece of leather in your crafting grid. It requires 20 uses of the knife's durability. The sling shot uses cobble stone as ammunition (the pebbles on the ground or what is dropped when mining stone with a pickaxe). The sling has the durability of about 164 uses with one being depleted for every stone fired.

The stones fired break when they hit an entity or a block, and are therefore non-retrievable (similar to a snowball in vanilla). The stones do the equivalent damage of a half a thrown javelin, but can fire a longer distance (max of about 100 blocks), easier to aim, and there is the advantage of not having to retrieve your weapon.

The sling takes half of the time a vanilla bow takes to draw back before the stone can be fired.

Bow durability:

Before I get into the long talk on the different types of bows, I feel it would first be best to describe their durability. The durability of a bow is determined by the wood plank/planks used to create the bow shaft/handle. It would be far to much space to give each wood type its own shaft, so instead there could be three different shafts determinant on the type of wood used. Clearly a bow made of oak would last longer than one made from a softer wood like pine or spruce would definitely have less durability than one made from say oak or hickory. Bows made from stronger woods would have a durability of 671, middle durability woods would have a durability of 532, and the weakest woods would have a durability of 318. Every time an arrow is fired, one durability is used.

Three bows:

I imagine no one wants to use a sling forever... well maybe some of you do. For us who enjoy advancing through the weapons we would of course like a bow. Bows were made several different ways by several different cultures, so it is really hard to say what materials one would need to make a bow. For that reason, there should be three different types of bows. Each one has its advantages and weaknesses.

The Native Bow (Mid Range):

The first is the more Native American type bow. The shafts of these bows are made by putting a plank and a knife together in a crafting grid (either the 2x2 or a crafting table's 3x3.) From there the player would enter the knapping phase, but instead he or she would be forming the shape of a bow shaft. This process requires 50 uses of the stone knife.

After a handle/shaft is made, the player will need a form of string. As monsters will be moved to crypts underground and spider string will probably be less common, this seems like a good time to add in linen, yucca, hemp, or milkweed. You can use these plants to create string using another stone knife and a crafting table (no knapping phase this time). Alternatively, you can use a knife on rawhide from animals to make string instead if rawhide is ever implemented (I think it's been suggested). Most likely though, yucca, linen, hemp, or milkweed would be used.

Once that is complete, just put the bow shaft in a crafting grid with three string and the player will have created a native bow.

Advantages: Cheapest and fastest to make requiring only a stone knife

Neutral: Three shots to kill a zombie that is fifteen blocks away, drawback speed of 1.3x that of a normal vanilla bow

Disadvantages: Fully charged fires at a speed of only 32 meters/second which also means it has a shorter range

The Long Bow (Long Range):

While Native bows do well as short range weapons, but often times will be hard to shoot at far away targets. There is also the annoyingly slower draw back of the Native bow. For both of there reasons, there is the long bow.

Long bows are made on a new table called a bowyer table. A bowyer table is made by combining a crafting table and a saw blade. The bowyer table has a 3x3 crafting grid. To make a long bow shaft/handle a metal knife is required along with a log. The player will once again enter the knapping grid, but this time is will be a 6x6 instead of a 5x5. The player will again make the shape of a shaft. The process requires 25 uses of the metal knife.

Yucca, linen, hemp, or milkweed can once again be made into string as done with the Native bow. Possibly also rawhide if it is ever added into the game. The player can then combine the long bow shaft with three string in a crafting grid and will have successfully created a long bow.

Advantages: Very fast drawback (half that of a vanilla bow), always does the same damage no matter how fast it is traveling (Arrows tend to do less damage the farther they travel, this is not the case with this bow. It is meant to be used as a long range weapon)

Neutral: Fires at a speed of about 67 meters/second which is quite a bit more than a vanilla bow and gives a longer range, not very expensive or time consuming to make

Disadvantages: Four shots to kill a zombie as long as it is in range, cannot be fired unless fully drawn back (you can't half draw it and release)

The Composite Bow:

Now there must of course be a bow that focuses on power and range. This final bow is the composite bow.

Composite bows are consisted of several parts to construct the core. A total of three wood parts must be created using planks on the bowyer table (each using 25 durability of the metal knife). These parts include the grip, the lower limb, and finally the upper limb.the shaft as well.

Next the player will need two horns. These horns can be dropped by deer once they are implemented. After the horns, three tendons must be acquired. Then finally rendered animal skill will be used as glue. Combine these with the original wood parts to create the composite bow shaft.

The player can then combine the composite shaft with six additional tendons in a crafting table to finish off his composite bow.

Advantages: Two shots to kill a zombie that is twenty five blocks away, fires at a speed of about 72 meters/second which gives it a very long range

Disadvantages: Very slow drawback (double that of a vanilla bow), very time consuming and expensive to make

Feel free to tell me what you think and post your ideas.

ok dude a+ for the effort d for the research

first of, bows are made from branches/sticks not logs, that would be a waste of wood and worktime

2. linen string is much more common as string

3. hazzelnut birch and greyling are the most common wood types used in europe i dont know about the americas or australia :P

4. for an composite bow you need horn and glue now wheels dude, what you mean are compound bows =)

That averages like a B right? I'm okay with that.

Anyways, since I posted I found your right in all those things Gizmos. I am still going to keep that you can make a bow from any wood as you can. Instead it reflects upon the durability. I am going to change from logs to planks. Sticks seem a bit to small and sadly there are no real branches in TFC. I did mean to add linen in that list, but you can make a bow string with the other three plants. Finally, my apologies for the compound and composite mix up.

All in all, I blame wikipedia.

I'd like this. I feel that it'd be nice to have quick shortbows, and longbows that have a somewhat long draw time, but that do good ranged damage, seeing that that's what I try to do when hunting animals.

Sticks are far too weak to use for a bow, you are however correct on the branches part but for later bows, like the longbow, trees

were cut down to use for bows, it even lead to a shortage of yew (the favored wood for the longbow) in england in 1350 that led to

Henry IV ordering his bowmakers to go into private land to cut down trees to make bows. The construction of the english longbow

was even done in a fashion that the heartwood was in the inside and the sapwood on the outside making it a sort of hybrid between

a standard self bow made from a single piece of wood, and a composite bow made from multiple parts. Because of this he actually was

correct is saying a plank for the normal bow and a log for the longbow as a plank represents just any wood while a log is both heart and

sapwood allowing for the proper construction of each bow. In the americas milkweed was used but it would be more ideal to use cow tendon

as a bowstring instead of plant fibers as it only requires a drop to be added instead of a new plant.

From what I know, of the woods in the game, these are the best for bows:

Hickory, Elm, Ash, Maple, and Oak.

All of these woods are hardwoods, so the bow durability and strength could be seperated into 2 groups, akin to how knapped tools' durabilities differ based on the group of stone used (Sedimentary, Metamorphic, Igneous Intursive, Igneous Extrusive). Hardwoods would give greater durability than softwoods.

Aditionally, I do believe that yew longbows (yew is the best wood for longbows) were carved from the log itself in order to obtain heartwood from the core fo the tree for the bow. So Gismo, you aren't ENTIRELY correct. :P

While true, Kimble, we're a bit lacking in yew trees in TFC to make bows with. So, the heartwood thing is a null-issue unless they add the new tree type.

I'd love it if they did, though. Especially if this sort of archery update came into play. Make yew a relatively crappy burning wood, with a really slow growth time. But make it provide bows that are actually even better durability than the other hardwoods (so that the progression goes softwood, hardwood, yew).

Words cannot describe how much I want to build a yew house right now.

Let's take the bow suggestion one step further and make some suggestions for revamping the way arrows work. I think fletching arrows would be an excellent addition to the game. As such, I'm going to provide some TFC-specific ideas for going about it, based mostly on the information from this article: http://sagittaria-handcrafts.com/en/handcrafts/making-of-arrows/

First and foremost, I think vanilla arrows would need to go out the window entirely (and have skeletons no longer drop arrows). Fletched arrows should have a more involved process and they should be mostly retrievable (more on this later down); their damage should also be dependent on the resource used. Now onto the suggestions, separated by stone versus metal arrow heads after shafts:

Shafts: The first element to fletchery is obviously going to be the shaft of the arrow. Ideally, the ability to make heavy and soft shafts from different wood types would be the way to go, but I think that a revamped woodworking system would need to be put in place before this (wood planing and such for all matter of goods). For now, we'll just go with something simple and basic that would be easy to code in to get things started. Basically, just use a knife with a stick, uses up some uses of the knife, and the stick becomes a "notched arrow shaft."

Fletched Feathers: Similar to shafts, a basic building block for all arrows. Like with shafts, just use a knife on a feather to create 4 "fletched feathers" and have the final arrow recipe only call for three, that way one feather is worth 1.25 arrows' worth of fletched feathers.

Stone Arrow Heads: This one is pretty easy: just add a new knapping recipe to make an arrow head. Done.

Metal Arrow Heads: Again, pretty easy. Just add a new plan for "metal arrow head" and go about forging as normal. However, I would make the recipe call for using a sheet of metal, and make one sheet of metal create 4 metal arrow heads.

Putting it all together: The final crafting recipe would look be an arrow head, a notched arrow shaft, and 3 fletched feathers, creating a "primitive arrow" (stone arrow head) or a "[insert metal name] arrow."

Using the arrows: Now, as I mentioned before, arrows made this way should be fairly retrievable, which I'll explain in more detail in a moment. As far as damage scaling goes, I think that primitive arrows should be fairly weak, tier 0 metal arrows should be about on par with current arrows, and tier 1 metal arrows should be about on scale with javelins; from there onward, they just get better. As far as making them retrievable, I think that when an arrow connects with an entity and does damage, it should have roughly these chances for each component to be recovered:

-5% chance entire arrow is recovered, and if the entire arrow isn't recovered, then...

-75-95% chance the arrow head is recovered, based on material

-50% x3 chances for fletched feather to be recovered

-10% chance for notched arrow shaft to be recovered

I think by doing this, you can make arrows a lot more fun to play with, and while they'd be significantly better weapons than previously, you'll likely be more conservative with using them since the supply for them is much more finite than before (no more farming skellie bones for 'em!).

Hmm, not a bad idea. I do not think Dunk or Biozz will ever implement arrow heads, but this would be a pretty interesting feature especially along side the range revamp.

I really think the removal of skeletons dropping arrows would be nice. And least until they are in crypts.

Anyone else have any improvements? :D

I don't think it's worth adding a new crafting block just for that (honestly I don't understand the metallurgy table).

EDIT:it's a fauxrnace.