Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
turtletechy

Melting down tools, anvils, etc?

9 posts in this topic

I had thought it might be nice to be able to have some way to melt down unused tools, anvils, and other things to recycle material. Obviously, you'd only get a portion of the metal in the tool, equal to the tools durability, minus a little for loss of course, to give you a bit of usable metal to work a new tool out. The same is desirable for anvils, as it would be nice to be able to melt down your lower level anvils to recycle for material, not to have them just sitting around doing nothing.

Yeah, this is already suggested. Lots of times. But I find this a logic idea. Of course we could need this when we will have mined all the ores in our surrounding area.

Yeah, this is already suggested. Lots of times. But I find this a logic idea. Of course we could need this when we will have mined all the ores in our surrounding area.

Sorry, I didn't know it was suggested already. But as I said, if this is something unique at least, make it a process that is NOT lossless. You will get a loss of a bit of metal each time you melt something down, as well as related directly to the durability of a tool, to make it so you can't just melt down a tool to get a totally new one out.

..., if this is something unique at least, make it a process that is NOT lossless...

The other suggestion had loss of metal.

The brilliant thing about this idea is that the smelting system in the mod would allow for a thing like this. I suppose you could have the amount of metal receive=remaining durability rounded down to the nearest amount that you would receive from bits of small ore (The percentage I mean, I don't know whether the actual numerals are the same).

it takes 100 units to make a tool make it so the % of durability left equals the base amount of metal you get minus 5% or so becuase this isnt dwarf fortress where you can reuse the same ingot hundreds of times

I think you already can melt down anvils. I might be wrong, but I'm 98.473% sure I'm right

I think you already can melt down anvils. I might be wrong, but I'm 98.473% sure I'm right

You can, in a crucible. Pretty much the only thing you can't melt down is tools and armor. Metal sheets, double ingots, double sheets and anvils can all be recycled and melted back down in the crucible. One of those isn't melting properly in 78 (can't remember which one) but they all do for 79.

I am all in for recycling tools, let me share two ideas i instantly got on this.

No.1 Broken tool heads: This would require a rewrite of how durability works but i will just go for it, the more you use the tool the more you just up the durability however the remaining durability decides what the odds of the tool breaking is say X in a 1000 blocks (So X increase the more used the tool is) it would still break if it made it to 0 durability but anyways when it breaks you will get a "Broken [Metal] tool head" the broken tool head would have its own durability which would show how much it would return to you, and how much metal you would get back would be determent by how many % durability the original tool had when it broke rounded to the nearest 5 or 0 % to keep it like the ores.

With this system you could get incredibly unlock but still get a fair bit of metal in return, smiting skill could increase durability or decrease the likelihood of the tool breaking (increasing the 1000 part would do that)

No.2 

the durability would determent how much metal you'd get back, which would make you able to recycle tools without breaking them. to do this in a believable fashion would mean to make the durability only account for 25-75 units of metal while the rest would be "pure return". the is a alternative to No.1 but would still require the broken tool head but if done this way it'd not need to be dynamic in the amount of metal you'd get from it.