Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shukrat

Getting sticks

16 posts in this topic

I suggest the addition of other ways of getting sticks. Punching literally hundreds of leaves gets old pretty damn quick, and I sure as hell don't go outside and gather the branches from trees when I need kindling or what not.

What I suggest is in a manner similar to how you use place an ax and a log in your crafting pane to get wood planks, do the same thing with those wood planks. Place a wood plank in there with the ax and get a handful of sticks. That's how I make kindling in real life, and it also follows a logical progression from log to wood plank to stick.

Thoughts?

POSTED SUGGESTIONS:

- Use an axe on planks or logs to get a handful of sticks.

- Add leather to sticks to get shafts for tools.

- Leaves drop to the ground after tree has been felled, and stay to either rot or for you to churn through for sticks/saplings

- Leave system as is, but generate 'junk' piles under where the tree had been. Texture to look like leaves and sticks. Open these to find sticks or saplings or nothing at all.

My only thought is kindling is not the same as the wood you would use for the handles on weapons/tools. Right now sticks fulfill both of those rolls. Maybe they shouldn't?

well kindling is just a name for a soft/easy burnable wood that is used to start a fire, so essentially it is the same as wooden sticks

That is what I meant.. We use sticks both as a study solid handle to high impact tools and weapons... And we also use sticks as the starters for fire pits :D Maybe these should be two separate items... we make hafts or shafts from actual blocks with .. some tool? I dunno.

That is what I meant.. We use sticks both as a study solid handle to high impact tools and weapons... And we also use sticks as the starters for fire pits :D Maybe these should be two separate items... we make hafts or shafts from actual blocks with .. some tool? I dunno.

hmm, well thats true, the hafts would need more precision in making than kindling. you can make crude handles by whittling with a knife. so it could be done that way. leaves drop kindling>flint tool>flint tool on kindling>sticks, kinda as a starter model how the progression would play out if you could then use an axe on the wood>wooden planks+knife/axe>sticks. cause essentially all that would be "whittled" into shape.

would make using bone for the stonepick a more interesting choice earlygame since you'd need some tool to make the shafts for tools :)

Yeah, anything to get away from having to punch thousands of leaves.

Whether it be crafting handles from logs or from planks, or just getting sticks from planks or logs. Either way would be preferable to what it is now. I understand TFCraft wants to be as realistic as possible, but I'm also trying to make suggestions that take tediousness outta the game.

well if it was realistic the branches wouldn't dissapear when chopping the tree, would be on the ground for easier access ;)

I liked the idea someone suggested earlier for a knife. Knives could be used on saplings to cut away the little branches, producing one stick each. It may not be a huge addition but it will help out.

And f.ex. (i just finished reading leather rack post) maybe add leather to hafts or shafts to reinforce them?

And f.ex. (i just finished reading leather rack post) maybe add leather to hafts or shafts to reinforce them?

There has been chatter on the IRC channel about adding in handle crafting and such to the mod :)

The only downside I could see to letting people get sticks from places other than leaves is that then you leave persons sitting there punching leaves just to get the saplings. I like the ideas that we presented earlier, such as the pile of stuff that could get left after you chop down a tree.

It'd be cool if there were one or two 'junk' blocks that get placed under where the tree used to be. Texture would be sticks, leaves/rotten leaves, etc. You can open them to see maybe a 3x3 storage interface where it could all be junk, or there could be a slim chance they're all saplings.

The only downside I could see to letting people get sticks from places other than leaves is that then you leave persons sitting there punching leaves just to get the saplings. I like the ideas that we presented earlier, such as the pile of stuff that could get left after you chop down a tree.

It'd be cool if there were one or two 'junk' blocks that get placed under where the tree used to be. Texture would be sticks, leaves/rotten leaves, etc. You can open them to see maybe a 3x3 storage interface where it could all be junk, or there could be a slim chance they're all saplings.

actually i really like this idea, it seems to fit with the "chop tree, it falls down" idea. and it can be randomly generated and have maybe be less rng dependent. saplings would still be rare of course.

maybe the leaves would "spawn" sticks similar to saplings found under trees the sticks would be found on the ground and if seasons were incorporated leaves would as well during Autumn(only for certain ones and the leaves would no longer be on the trees until spring comes along) but as a block modifier similar to snow and you could rake them up and use them for other things like compost or a primitive bed.

Sticks aren't the problem, saplings are. To get enough saplings to replant I end up with hundreds of useless sticks.

Uhh, personally I don't think we need more way to get sticks. I think instead that we need more stuff to do with sticks, I mean if you try to maintain a treefarm for your charcoal pit you'll overflow with sticks.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0