Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
paradan

Hi.

37 posts in this topic

Greating's good sir!

sorry for the delay,

so heres the thing..

I have a secret,

but Im having a problem with my secret.

and so my secret can remain so no longer.

is there something I should know about how the mineral overlays handle tranparency?

as in partial tranparency is not supported?

There's two types of transparency in Minecraft, the first is binary transparency, like leaves blocks. This means each pixel of the texture needs to be either 100% or 0% transparent.

The other kind is partial transparency, like ice and nether portals, but they aren't used much, due to not being stackable and causing a visual problem (try looking at a forest through a nether portal).

I'm not sure which one the mineral overlays are, but for 99.9% of the mods, it uses either one of those.

ok got that mostly resolved, but last night I updated Java and now its locking up after 3-5 mins, i re-installed the latest LWJGL, but that didnt fix it.

Im hoping that by Friday I'll have everything in the bioxx folder done, except for the inventory sprites.

I need people to try these textures/gui's out and get some feedback.

ok got that mostly resolved, but last night I updated Java and now its locking up after 3-5 mins, i re-installed the latest LWJGL, but that didnt fix it.

Im hoping that by Friday I'll have everything in the bioxx folder done, except for the inventory sprites.

I need people to try these textures/gui's out and get some feedback.

Oh, new texture pack?

I'd love to see it. I was an artist for video games in a long gone past and I love seeing new texture packs :)

HI THERE MY GOOD SIR RASPBERRY!!!!!

-waves frantically-

ehh i seem to be a little late to this thread huh

That second row of leaves is for people with graphics set to "fast". Also, on your first row of leaves, they are all grey, but I think the originals had the same colors as the row below. If you want proper foliage colors, you have to keep that.

I like your rocks. And the whole thing!! Awesome TP. But yeah, Gil said it. Those leaves are the fast graphics leaves.

Posted Image

Really awesome rocks. I like this style because I used a similar one to draw rocks :)

crap I fell asleep...

ok terrablocks2 is done,

tilled ground came out sweet, grass reminds of floral wall paper, but it'll do for the interim.

Posted Image

o yeah, whats the wood at the top for?

hey where do I find the chest,torches,mine carts and tracks?

o and clouds and grass, I looked around in .minecraft but no luck.

this is my first time doing a texture pack for minecraft so Im pretty much just winging it.

That looks pretty amazing.

You may want to put holes in your doors, though, it is very nice to be able to see out before you leave.

hey where do I find the chest,torches,mine carts and tracks?

o and clouds and grass, I looked around in .minecraft but no luck.

this is my first time doing a texture pack for minecraft so Im pretty much just winging it.

This is in the minecraft.jar. Its not part of TFC, but vanilla Minecraft. The items are in minecraft.jar/gui/items.png, and the blocks are in minecraft.jar/terrain.png

haha! I'm back.

<the remainder of this post is best read while imaging the sounds of morse code>

state of the pack

bioxx folder

to be read to all TFC users

2-25-13

all GUI's finished, with the exceptions of quern,foodprep,and forge.

terrablocks2 is complete.

terrablocks requires only saplings and anvils.

terrarocks will be completed within the next 12-24 hours.

tfcplants and vegetation are slated for completion next, eta 3-1-13.

final assembly of Parafirma Pack projected to be mid-March.

end of transmission.

Posted Image

Can we get some in-game screenshots too?

you sure can...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so in this last one we have granite and limestone bricks plust smoothed limestone. i hate this limestone, it'll get changed eventually.

Most of these textures seem to be made for normal maps and provide no clear highlights/shadows. The smoothed limestone is an exception and looks way better. I propose you choose a light source (say, up-left, like the limestone) and shade everything accordingly to make it look less flat.

Apart from that, I do like the textures, they look a lot better than I first expected, that's why I asked for screenshots :).

The cave textures are fine btw, loving those.

thank you that's good feedback, I'm anxious to get a "beta" out the door so I can get more from you all.

actually, all textures ('cept the greyscale leaves and grass) have embossing and fake AO applied to them as you suggested, I was having an issue with the bricks lighting being way to pronounced, so they're toned done a bit.

in the past few week I've developed better lighting tricks then I had when I was working on the bricks and will come back to them.

Ah yes, emboss and fake AO should be fine. I guess you need to find the right balance. Here's some pointers:

Different surfaces have different light diffusion. For highly diffuse surfaces (say, dirt), apply blur to the highlights.

Rough surfaces might require a shadow blur (dirt again?)

Sometimes highlight or shadows look better with certain blending modes. In Photoshop, there's a lot too choose from. Try to make the contrast pronounced enough, while avoiding the "look, it's an emboss filter" look.

When I get home, I might try a few examples. Is there a texture you felt like you were struggling with? I could take a look at it and offer some options.

in the past few week I've developed better lighting tricks then I had when I was working on the bricks and will come back to them.

Discovering new tricks is fun :)

the dirt does have a bit of graininess to it but it'll do for now.

i'm using Substance Designer and was using white specular, lately have been lowering it a bit to a high grey and it seems to help.

also should probably mention that everything is being done procedureally, what that means for the normal folks out there is that its very easy for me to go back and change things that you dont like, well mostly easy.

forgot to put these up..

Posted Image

Posted Image

just noticed the wood edges beveling dosnt line up well, will fix or improve.

Posted Image

ok so it doesnt matter for in game but thats 2D sand "piled" against a 2D wall and I can shift it around in the "box" real time.

Posted Image

Compare the depth of the cobble to the door planks and wall. I think that's the main issue for me right now, getting the depth consistent to be believable. Apart from that, I love it all. One thing that might be fun is trying to apply a global filter to all these, so they come closer together, but I haven't figured out how to properly do it myself. I can't even explain what I mean :)