Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
JDCollie

No Durability / Weapon Sharpening

36 posts in this topic

Metal breaks in combat for two main reasons, metal fatigue, and poor metallurgy/smithing. Perhaps when the smith creates the 'unsharpened blade/tool' the skill of the hammer work sets up a % chance for breaking, the better the smithing, the less likely it is to break, the poorer the job, the more likely.

This would also replace the durability bar, and the magical ability to take two tools of like metal, put them in a crafting bench/window, and -DO MAGIC- and get a new tool from that. When you are bashing away at enemy skulls, one does not have a finite meter telling you when your sword is going to break, you have to trust in your smith, and his skills, and thus good smiths are sought after, because their work doesn't snap in mid swing, surrounded by hoards of undead, hungry for flesh.

The unknown chance of breaking adds to that fear of, man, I hope this was made right, and when it does break, it will be at the most inoperative time, adding to the survival aspect of the game.

Sharping a sword, though it does remove some metal from the blade itself, really is not detrimental to the structure of the weapon/tool and really shouldn't effect it's durability, sure you could add a few ticks to the likelihood of it breaking each time you sharpen it to simulate age and wear and tear, and that could actually be a really simple way of simulating that.

I like this suggestion very much, but there are some things that i think would go along nicely with it as well for instance I think it would be good if you could sharpen all tools, not just swords.

My other idea is that when you use tools they have a random chance to temporary break, (for example I go mining when suddenly my pickaxe handle break, so I craft a new pickaxe handle for the tool head. Another thing that could happen would be that a bit of the pickaxe head chips off, so to fix that you must melt some more of that metal onto the head)

@The attachment idea:

I think the coolest way to resolve that would be to make the sword/mace you use for a long time be better stat-wise than the equivalent, freshly made one, but only for you (unless someone else uses it for long enough).

My idea is that you could name your weapon and, once named, it would keep track of your kill count, increasing damage by a small value every X kills. It'd function as a Sword skill in an RPG, with kills needed increasing exponentially, except it would be tied to a single, specific sword, and Bioxx and Dunk confirmed skills are coming soon either way.

Perhaps an object could be added that lets you manage your weapon's history with you, which would allow you to name it first and then, if you'd rack enough kills on a certain mob type, would let you choose if you want to add a trait (based of vanilla enchantments, 1 max per weapon) that would give bonus damage against that mob along, perhaps, with a custom appendix to the name - say 'Bane of X', X being the mob you killed.

Additionally, to keep with scarifying death, your history with a weapon would be wiped when you die, leaving you a nice, custom weapon in legacy, which, however, would not be powerful for you anymore. Perhaps using it long enough again would re-unlock the weapon's trait, but you wouldn't be allowed to change it.

Perhaps the sword could be named in a scribing table? or using the new name tags? I think that there should be some way of upkeeping your sword(wiping, polishing, greasing, scraping off rust), and if you don't upkeep it often, there is a chance your sword will break, making it so there not AS infinite and OP, they still would be extremely valuable, but you would have to minimally take care of them....

Please Dunk, give us a sign of approval, for we love this.

I like the natural feel the tools will give you with this implementation, but I think there are some room of improvements if we want to make your tools truly unique. I saw that the sharpening of the tool is made very simple and I think this is where you could make it more complex.

Adding choices where you sharpen the tool(I. E. Which sides and maybe even what angle?) and how much you sharpen it could have an impact on the tool sharpness, it's strengths(slashing, piercing etc) and the chances of breaking(completely or partially if that's even believable. It'll make sharpening also a form of skill that could be included in smithing.

This is my two cents on how to make somewhat more unique tools. I'm sure there are more things where we can look into to make a perfect smithing and metallurgy system for TFC, so we can make tools with really unique properties.

Would be interesting if length and width etc would also be added into the equation, though I wonder if that's necessary.

...a sword was an excessively valuable commodity. A good steel sword could be passed down for generations.

My understanding is that those were the swords hanging on the wall, not the ones that did a lot of hacking at shields and armor.

The bulk of surviving medieval arms and armor are ornimental.

This idea has tobe the best suggetion in a weapon fix so far.

My understanding is that those were the swords hanging on the wall, not the ones that did a lot of hacking at shields and armor.

I can tell you for a fact, having gone behind the ropes at museums to take measurements off of "surviving medieval arms" so our work can be more historically accurate, that many in fact have been in battle/seen combat, some of which extensive. Hell we -love- those more, because we can see the work put into them for repairs. Top of the list still goes to the Persian Shanshir which had a forge welded wootz steel blade, cracked clean in half sometime in it's life. That smith, had skill to repair that.

Just because it looks all shiny in that case, is just a testament to the smiths who forged it/maintained it.

Posted Image

The "Tizona" sword, belonged to Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, "El Cid", who expelled the moors from Valencia. That sword was used in battle multiple times.

well the way i see sharpening is that it shouldnt be a bonus thing, it should be part of completing the tool, a sword that you just shaped is going to be very dull, and practicaly useless, you need to sharpen it up before you can use it, same goes for all tools, -exception of the mace-

sharpening for repair should only be available if the tool is slightly damaged, simulating the repair of average wear and tear on the tool, as much as you might want, sharpening isnt going to fix a sword that's been snapped in half, only re-smelting it will.

for more in-depth repairs, you would have to take your dinged up axe to your local forge, heat the tool up a bit, then hammer it back into shape on an anvil, of course, you would have to remove the tool rod first, as it would probably burn up in the forge, but that would be a simple crafting recipie

speaking of, so on what happens when a tool completely breaks? well i think it should return broken shards of said tool, so say a sword would return a couple blade shards and a handle, other tools would just return the shards of the tool, unless you made a special handle(because really, you don't just slap a tool head onto a random stick), thern it would return broken halves of the handle. then, you take said shards, fit them together in a forge, maybe use a bit of extra metal to fill in for missing slivers, fuse the shards back together, then a bit of toutch up with the hammer or grindstone, and voila, you have a repaired tool head. as for the toolo rods, wood based rods arer pretty much goners if they break. dunno if metal tool handles make much sense, but they would require the same process.

TLDR: sharpening tools should be required to finish the tool, but also used for small repairs, bigger repairs require the forge and anvil. Completely broken tools drop broken shards, which can be put back together in a forge to re-make the tool with a bit of added metal.