Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AlmightySquid

TFC Build 76!!!

175 posts in this topic

Hello guys. To answer a few questions: chisels do not take less damage than they used to. If all you did with a chisel was make bricks, you would only be able to produce 80% as many bricks as you used to. HOWEVER, I have tweaked the chisel slightly, and you *should* notice that chisels last 3 x longer when working with detailed blocks.

As for sand, if you don't mind a bit of a journey, deserts spawn in TFC at around z = -5000 to 5000, and you can find loads of sand there. Part of the fun of the game will be that not all of the resources you need will be located in the same place. Large servers will find it advantageous to capitalize on their local resources when trading.

Also, what's this about an L-key binding issue? If you tell me what it is, I'll try to fix it.

i know you play on Spumwacks server and in like episode 43, him and Beednox went forever to make mining camp just to find flux so traveling to far away places is a must in TFC which make this game different.

Dunk, are you reading this?

Is it possible to tweak metal armor?

As it stands now you seem better off never making metal armor, its so much effort with the same durability as leather.

Just need more of a metalsink in this game.

The ingots aren't a solid colour. To save time, I render the bricks using the metal block textures already in the texture folder. Because of the way minecraft renders blocks, it looks for a flat picture for each "block", similar to how player skins are set up, with each face of the block layed out flat. The block textures are only 16x16, so to fit all the faces of the block in the same texture, I lowered the resolution. This means that the ingots are at maximum, 8x8, but NOT a solid colour.

And whats this about minecarts being removed in TFC1? As the only dev, it's a little surprising to learn what I'm apparently going to be implementing.

The textures just didn't look like the other textures in tic, they sort of stood out. I figured the art people hadn't been let at them yet.

Also, with the minecarts, I thought I remembered you saying that you were going to remove them. I guess it was someone else.

Imagine a world where you need gypsum for bloomeries. Think on that for a while.

Maybe you could make a LOT of mortar with gypsum, and make the other mortar more expensive. This way you can make a bloomery, but you can't make a big brick house until you have gypsum. It would give gypsum a good use and make mining that much more rewarding.

I'll go fix my post about the minecarts.

No, I'm not going to make mortar any easier. Good try, though.

I think (just regarding the evil R-thing ;) ) to have gypsum (after being smashed on by a hammer perhaps) being a valid substitute for flux in the production of mortar is totally reasonable.

You could I guess also argue substitution of sand with gravel (but thats concrete then... but that opens possibilities to plank up something fill it with conrete(bucketwise) and wait till its hardened if you remove the planks to early you base gets flooded with halfdry concrete *gg*)

I think (just regarding the evil R-thing ;) ) to have gypsum (after being smashed on by a hammer perhaps) being a valid substitute for flux in the production of mortar is totally reasonable.

You could I guess also argue substitution of sand with gravel (but thats concrete then... but that opens possibilities to plank up something fill it with conrete(bucketwise) and wait till its hardened if you remove the planks to early you base gets flooded with halfdry concrete *gg*)

Why can't you guys just be happy with borax and move on?

Video looks good dunk..

I'm impressed with some of it for sure!

Curious: Can you get the raw 'wool' by shearing a sheep or do we have to put the sword to the poor beasts?

Very cool! I'm excited about this. :)

Also, we should start a "get Dunk a new computer" fund. Normally, the only time things look so blurry and jittery to me, it involves copious amounts of beer. :D

I'm glad that wool and leather are getting a remake - TFC Style. Everything looks awesome!

And I bet that those barrels are gonna make nice decoration...

I saw some amazing suggestions on that youtube video. Gunpowder inside the barrels is an amazing idea for a powder keg.

I love the barrels and the ingots.. And the leather, and wool..

Damn this mod is for me.

Just had time to watch the video. Nice work on the tanning, now we have yet another ingame vocation next to farmer, breeder, miner, cook and smith (and soldier I suppose)!

I saw some amazing suggestions on that youtube video. Gunpowder inside the barrels is an amazing idea for a powder keg.

I love the barrels and the ingots.. And the leather, and wool..

Damn this mod is for me.

Indeed, I fell in love with TFC the first time I played it. The only thing left wanting is a greater goal to work towards rather than more durable versions of the same stuff. I would really like to have better equipment as I go forward in the various ages.

e.g. shortbow>long bow>recrurved bow>compound bow>crossbow

e.g. leather armor>studded armor>scale armor>chain armor>plate armor>gothic plate

e.g. wooden club>stone javelin>metal javelin>short sword>mace/longsword/flail/halberd

I'd like to see us able to develop better types of workstations as well. As it is, we go from a basic fire-pit to a forge and bloomery. We should be able to take this further: a furnace, a foundry, a poleturning lathe, a sawmill, a charcoal oven, etc. Each being an upgrade from their previous counterparts, at the same time would have new requirements to function. For example, the poleturning lathe would require a chisel which would degrade with use. The furnace may require steel components in its construction but at the same time be able to store more fuel and be more efficient than the forge, A foundry could possibly make metal directly into ingots or even require pre-shaped molds to make tool heads, thus we go from blacksmithing to casting.

I'm sure that there are others as well to be used without leaving the middle-ages era tech. Seriously, my brain explodes with the possibilities this mod creates.

Or a way to melt down your 99% broken armour and get 'somthing' back out of it, or repair it with more ingots :D

Video looks good dunk..

I'm impressed with some of it for sure!

Curious: Can you get the raw 'wool' by shearing a sheep or do we have to put the sword to the poor beasts?

Of course you can get wool without killing them! :) that's the point. You won't get anymore wool however, still the same piece. (I don't see how you would get more shearing a live animal than you would when you have just the skin... it's not like it starts deteriorating when the animal dies >_>) but live sheep will regrow wool, making them useful to keep around.

Very cool! I'm excited about this. :)

Also, we should start a "get Dunk a new computer" fund. Normally, the only time things look so blurry and jittery to me, it involves copious amounts of beer. :D

:blink: wow that would be kinda crazy...

Indeed, I fell in love with TFC the first time I played it. The only thing left wanting is a greater goal to work towards rather than more durable versions of the same stuff. I would really like to have better equipment as I go forward in the various ages.

e.g. shortbow>long bow>recrurved bow>compound bow>crossbow

e.g. leather armor>studded armor>scale armor>chain armor>plate armor>gothic plate

e.g. wooden club>stone javelin>metal javelin>short sword>mace/longsword/flail/halberd

I'd like to see us able to develop better types of workstations as well. As it is, we go from a basic fire-pit to a forge and bloomery. We should be able to take this further: a furnace, a foundry, a poleturning lathe, a sawmill, a charcoal oven, etc. Each being an upgrade from their previous counterparts, at the same time would have new requirements to function. For example, the poleturning lathe would require a chisel which would degrade with use. The furnace may require steel components in its construction but at the same time be able to store more fuel and be more efficient than the forge, A foundry could possibly make metal directly into ingots or even require pre-shaped molds to make tool heads, thus we go from blacksmithing to casting.

I'm sure that there are others as well to be used without leaving the middle-ages era tech. Seriously, my brain explodes with the possibilities this mod creates.

As far as advanced fireworking elements go, I would LIKE to change the way the current smelting process goes down, but I'm not sure how it would affet the community. I would be pushing it towards more realism, but not for the simple sake of it, but because it presents itself as a logical, understandable and interesting way to rework the system. The thing I like about the smelting system we've always had is that we grabbed the data we used straight from real life, ie all the metals had the same melting temperature as they do in real life and the colour that the hot metals glowed was based off a thermal incandescence chart we found during our research, ie if you looked up the temperature that copper melts at IRL and what colour a metal of that temperature would glow, you could figure out the in-game melting point of copper. How many games can cite science as a wiki? lol.

The changes I would make though would be to swap some things around. Currently, ores smelt at their metal's melting temperature, but as I'm sure some of you know, those two temperatures are rarely related except in cases of native metal ores. Cassiterite, for example smelts at closer to 1250 degrees celcius, (higher than melting copper) and as such wasn't the first metal to be worked into tools. Bismuthinite wasn't properly discovered until the 18t century and sphalerite has a higher smelting temperature than zinc's BOILING temperature, so a very complex system was needed to be even able to produce straight zinc, as the vapours had to be collected.

The earliest metal-working (aside from with small bits of gold) was with small chunks of copper which were cold-worked into simple beads and awls. As technology progressed, people started using claybrick and mudbrick kilns to melt the copper down. This was the beginning of the chalcolithic (copper-stone age). This is a replica of the copper axe that was found on Otzi, the iceman:

Posted Image

As copper working spread throughout europe and into the middle east, impurities began to accidentally enter the melting crucible. People discovered that these rocks changed how the copper behaved and began actively looking for these stones. These were the first bronzes, arsenic bronze being prevalent as it was easier to make, until people started connecting it to the sicknesses being caused by the arsenic. The first bronzes only had about 2.5% arsenic or tin in them, but this grew over time as people began actively adding the ores. Tin became the dominant impurity added to the copper, but only in the form of cassiterite, a very rare and tin-poor ore found in the mountains of Afghanistan. At the time. no one knew that cassiterite was a metal ore, or that it was tin that made the copper so strong, but they continued to add the ore to the copper anyway. Copper has a melting temperature of 1085 degrees celcius, while cassiterite smelts to tin at around 1200-1300 celcius. The cassiterite would smelt into tin during the melting process and mix with the copper, producing bronze. The bronze was harder than copper (which is relatively soft), less spongy, held a sharper edge, had a lower melting temperature and had a colour closer to gold than the orange copper did. Even though it was 90% copper, it was revolutionary at the time.

Brass too, was formed in a similar way. Sphalerite could also be added to the molten copper, and the smelted zinc vapours would actually mix into the copper before they would have a chance to disperse.

Records show that the first tin ingots weren't actually created until around 500 BC, up to 2000 years after bronze started being made.

So yeah, that's a bit of a history lesson. If I reworked the metal working process, it would probably involve adding kilns for smelting ores that don't require extreme heat or chemical reactions. Cassiterite requires carbon to smelt the same way that iron ores do (or most oxides, for that matter) but native copper just needs heat.

Bloomeries IRL were used exclusively for iron smelting. The reason they consume so much charcoal in TFC is because the real bloomeries needed pure carbon for the chemical reaction which would free the iron from the oxide. This is obviously not needed to smelt things like native copper, so I might look into reworking that to be a little more forgiving.

*snip*

Wow. And people say you can't learn anything form video games.

I remember being slightly confused about the bloomery being used for metals other than iron, but then just figured that sometimes allowances must be made for the sake of gameplay.

I actually thought that the charcoal usage for smelting was a bit on the cheap side, personally. I did a lot of the same research for another project a long time ago, and IIRC, it takes about 80kg of charcoal per kg of finished iron in bar form. It's amazing any trees were left in Europe at all!

Anyhow, I didn't realize that quite so much research actually went into the formulation of the mod. That probably has a lot to do with why I like this mod so much. Thanks for the history lesson, mate. :)

Any chance we will see a similar stacking mechanic for 2x ingots / metal sheets / 2x sheets?

Any chance we will see a similar stacking mechanic for 2x ingots / metal sheets / 2x sheets?

2x ingots, probably not. metal sheets? I don't know about placing them for storage, but sheet metal might be a good block to place as siding on a frame, ie as a block to walk on, or have as a wall

That... would be really neat to do, as metals have far more interesting and varied colors than stone and wood right now. However, would we need to craft nails to attach the sheets perhaps?

That... would be really neat to do, as metals have far more interesting and varied colors than stone and wood right now. However, would we need to craft nails to attach the sheets perhaps?

Do you need nails for planks? Probably not

Fine, just ruin my carpenter's dreams, why don't you? See if I ever leave you an opening to introduce an atomic-powered rivet gun again. Some people... ;)

(was totally just being cheeky about the nail bit. LOL)

Dunk, i don't know if you noticed but many people use and love Backpacks mod :) you have completely changed the way to create leather and how much it can be created from cows and pigs.. so with b76 people can't create as many backpacks as they need.. have you done this to throw a monkey wrench in the works? or was this casual? :) i'm wondering if you can add a method to create your own TFC backpacks in the leather worker new feature you've implemented :) that will be a nice idea, not nice like your base ideas, but nice too

I certainly can't wait to play the new update! Sounds really awesome. I was wondering about a thing or two, though:

-An entire leather skin from an animal seems like a lot for a single book. Maybe craftable book covers are in order? (a result of x4 leather covers sounds reasonable) Or add damage values to leather used to craft a book?

ooxooooxooxxxxxooxooooxoo
-It also seems a tad redundant to have vanilla and TFC books. Can we just cut out regular books entirely?

-Are clay bricks in the future of TFC?

-Can we look forward to a rebalancing of food availability? I seem to rely almost entirely on fruit for food - which is real easy to come by, and crops take such a long time to yield that I almost never get anything from them.

-Have spawn eggs been fixed to include the animals sex and other metadata? The rare animal wherever you want might make a tantalizing reward for a dedicated builder.

-Will the stacking bug be fixed?

In any event, What's going on now seems real cool. Honestly, I'm happy with what's been revealed so far, and am content if you want to save anything else for the next build.

Dunk, i don't know if you noticed but many people use and love Backpacks mod :) you have completely changed the way to create leather and how much it can be created from cows and pigs.. so with b76 people can't create as many backpacks as they need.. have you done this to throw a monkey wrench in the works? or was this casual? :) i'm wondering if you can add a method to create your own TFC backpacks in the leather worker new feature you've implemented :) that will be a nice idea, not nice like your base ideas, but nice too

Compatibility with mods like the backpack mod isn't a high priority at the moment. In the future, I will add a config option to craft TFC leather into vanilla leather, or might even talk to the creator of the backpack mod to look into getting a TFC specific version.

I certainly can't wait to play the new update! Sounds really awesome. I was wondering about a thing or two, though:

-An entire leather skin from an animal seems like a lot for a single book. Maybe craftable book covers are in order? (a result of x4 leather covers sounds reasonable) Or add damage values to leather used to craft a book?

ooxooooxooxxxxxooxooooxoo
-It also seems a tad redundant to have vanilla and TFC books. Can we just cut out regular books entirely?

-Are clay bricks in the future of TFC?

-Can we look forward to a rebalancing of food availability? I seem to rely almost entirely on fruit for food - which is real easy to come by, and crops take such a long time to yield that I almost never get anything from them.

-Have spawn eggs been fixed to include the animals sex and other metadata? The rare animal wherever you want might make a tantalizing reward for a dedicated builder.

-Will the stacking bug be fixed?

In any event, What's going on now seems real cool. Honestly, I'm happy with what's been revealed so far, and am content if you want to save anything else for the next build.

How much do you know about how ancient books were crafted? You're lucky I'm even letting you use paper! (papyrus being a horrible form of ancient paper that didn't hold ink very well)

Interesting facts I encountered while doing research about ancient books. European books used to use vellum, not paper for pages. Vellum is a type of leather. Do you know how many cow hides were needed to make one bible?

I think the one leather is fair =P