Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Krski

13w09a snapshot

23 posts in this topic

What do you fell about the addition of hay barels to minecraft vanilla , and what if any use would it have in TerraFirmaCraft ?

:)

Huh? Hay barrels were not added from 13w09a from what I can see...

They were suposedly added ........

On the aesthetic standpoint, I think they look pretty sweet. A little variation goes a long way. But what purpose do they serve? Are they a visual stack aid for wheat (holding 9 wheat like iron blocks hold 9 iron)? Do they "feed" animals? This would be very useful in the breeding of cattle and horses. Inquiring minds want to know...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0IU7eH_-I4 They were suposedly added ........

"They weren't added just yet"

Means they MIGHT be in 1.5, but they are NOT in the snapshot.

They arent in, pushed to 1.6 per a report I saw.. dunno where that was tho

bales of hay? Great. I'll just smudge the crafting recipe a bit and reimplement it for TFC when it comes out

bales of hay? Great. I'll just smudge the crafting recipe a bit and reimplement it for TFC when it comes out

Welll... I don't think that you can say bales of hay. I think it would be better to say bales of straw.

I think that bales of hay should be made out of grass that we could cut with the scythe. It could be used as a food source for animals. Instead of eating grass block, they would eat out of the bales of hay. That can allow a higher animal concentration in a pen (they would not have to wait for grass to grow back. In real life you must dry the grass before making the bales or a fermentation process will begin and you will end up with silage (but you must cut the air source, like putting it in a silo or covering your bales with plastic wrap. Silage is good for cattle, but I don't think it's good for other animals.

On the other hand, it could be possible to change the crafting result of knife and cereals crops to give straw and grain. Straw is not good to feed animals, but can be used in building straw roof. Some people also make houses out of it, covering the outside with a kind of cement/mortar (and mortar will be part of build 76 right). It's also a component of the traditional white walls ins Japanese castle (can try to find picture of it if you want).

So, hay and staw have different use in real life.

On the aesthetic standpoint, I think they look pretty sweet. A little variation goes a long way. But what purpose do they serve? Are they a visual stack aid for wheat (holding 9 wheat like iron blocks hold 9 iron)? Do they "feed" animals? This would be very useful in the breeding of cattle and horses. Inquiring minds want to know...

I don't think it would be realistic to feed animals out of bales of staw. There is no grain in straw ans what animals eat is the grain.

Welll... I don't think that you can say bales of hay. I think it would be better to say bales of straw.

I think that bales of hay should be made out of grass that we could cut with the scythe. It could be used as a food source for animals. Instead of eating grass block, they would eat out of the bales of hay. That can allow a higher animal concentration in a pen (they would not have to wait for grass to grow back. In real life you must dry the grass before making the bales or a fermentation process will begin and you will end up with silage (but you must cut the air source, like putting it in a silo or covering your bales with plastic wrap. Silage is good for cattle, but I don't think it's good for other animals.

On the other hand, it could be possible to change the crafting result of knife and cereals crops to give straw and grain. Straw is not good to feed animals, but can be used in building straw roof. Some people also make houses out of it, covering the outside with a kind of cement/mortar (and mortar will be part of build 76 right). It's also a component of the traditional white walls ins Japanese castle (can try to find picture of it if you want).

So, hay and staw have different use in real life.

I don't think it would be realistic to feed animals out of bales of staw. There is no grain in straw ans what animals eat is the grain.

Did you even see the video?

Straw - Wikipedia

Animal feed

• Straw may be fed as part of the roughage component of the diet to cattle or horses that are on a near maintenance level of energy requirement. It has a low digestible energy and nutrient content. The heat generated when microorganisms in a herbivore's gut digest straw can be useful in maintaining body temperature in cold climates. Due to the risk of impaction and its poor nutrient profile, it should always be restricted to part of the diet. It may be fed as it is, or chopped into short lengths, known as chaff.

Did you even see the video?

Yes I saw it... and the guy in the video can be "wrong" on a realistic point of view. Hay is weed, straw is from cereal like oat or wheat. If Minecraft say that bales of hay are made out of wheat, they are wrong on a realistic point of view.

Straw - Wikipedia

Animal feed

• Straw may be fed as part of the roughage component of the diet to cattle or horses that are on a near maintenance level of energy requirement. It has a low digestible energy and nutrient content. The heat generated when microorganisms in a herbivore's gut digest straw can be useful in maintaining body temperature in cold climates. Due to the risk of impaction and its poor nutrient profile, it should always be restricted to part of the diet. It may be fed as it is, or chopped into short lengths, known as chaff.

... I most likely saw this... It has a low digestible energy and nutrient content. I will quote the same wikipedia article "It is commonly used as bedding for ruminants and horses." And I can tell by personal experience that my dad, who is a farmer, never ever gave straw to eat to his animals.

Yes I saw it... and the guy in the video can be "wrong" on a realistic point of view. Hay is weed, straw is from cereal like oat or wheat. If Minecraft say that bales of hay are made out of wheat, they are wrong on a realistic point of view.

... I most likely saw this... It has a low digestible energy and nutrient content. I will quote the same wikipedia article "It is commonly used as bedding for ruminants and horses." And I can tell by personal experience that my dad, who is a farmer, never ever gave straw to eat to his animals.

And I will quote you.... :P

"I don't think it would be realistic to feed animals out of bales of staw."

But... people do. Therefore it is realistic...

"---Straw may be fed as part of the roughage component of the diet---"

Diet = eat

Dye it = What you do to your hair... if you have any...

Whether it is of low or high whatever is moot. You can still feed it to animals. People still feed it to animals. Straw is fed to animals. Animals eat straw. Straw + Animal = Poopie. Your dad doesn't feed it to animals. I don't eat it... but I'm an animal. Remember we are talking about a game too... a game with Zombies... and Square People...

Animals....

Straw....

Poo.....

Ok... so based on your reading of a single wikipedia page, you are an expert in cattle diet? Congratulation.

I did some research and I did find out that straw can, indeed, be part of the diet of cattle. On that point, I am sorry, I was wrong. However, and I quote "You can spin straw into gold for your total mixed ration (TMR) when you chop this unconventional fibre source to the right length and add it in the right amounts." (source). In other words, you can not give a bale of straw to you cow, you need to chop it the right size and mix it to other ingredients. So I think that you are wrong, people do not feed animals with bales of straw, they process it and include it in the ration.

Yes we are talking about a game, and TFC try to be as realistic as possible (to the point it is not affecting the gameplay). What is the most realistic thing to do? Gives bales of hay to the animals or give them bales of straw?

Ok... so based on your reading of a single wikipedia page, you are an expert in cattle diet? Congratulation.

I did some research and I did find out that straw can, indeed, be part of the diet of cattle. On that point, I am sorry, I was wrong. However, and I quote "You can spin straw into gold for your total mixed ration (TMR) when you chop this unconventional fibre source to the right length and add it in the right amounts." (source). In other words, you can not give a bale of straw to you cow, you need to chop it the right size and mix it to other ingredients. So I think that you are wrong, people do not feed animals with bales of straw, they process it and include it in the ration.

Yes we are talking about a game, and TFC try to be as realistic as possible (to the point it is not affecting the gameplay). What is the most realistic thing to do? Gives bales of hay to the animals or give them bales of straw?

Hello fellow Canadian, nice to meet you. However indignant we may find ourselves, we should all refrain from escalating things. It doesn't end well.

Yes, and it won't escalate. Nice to meet you too dunk.

I was a bit insulted that someone tell me that I am completely wrong just based on a wikipedia article.I think that I was able to admit that I was somehow wrong, and I will not reply if he is not able to admit that he could have been wrong too.

Anyways, I would be happy to have a conversation about implementation of hay/straw in TFC if you ever think about it.

I'm just gonna say, I LIVE on a bloody farm and I know for a fact that no animal is ever gonna eat straw. Seriously, I have been in situations were I'm out of Hay, so the animals are really hungry for a day. Do they start much on their Straw? Hell to the no!

Period.

I'm just gonna say, I LIVE on a bloody farm and I know for a fact that no animal is ever gonna eat straw. Seriously, I have been in situations were I'm out of Hay, so the animals are really hungry for a day. Do they start much on their Straw? Hell to the no!

Period.

Are you talking about the straw they walk around and poop on? I wouldn't expect them to eat that anyway...

No, I actually walked in one day and gave them a fresh bale of straw in their feeding trough. The didnt go for it. They LOVE hay though! One time I ran out of straw in the middle of the winter and I tried to use hay for their bedding for a little bit before I could get more and they just ate it.

After they shit all over it.

No, I actually walked in one day and gave them a fresh bale of straw in their feeding trough. The didnt go for it. They LOVE hay though! One time I ran out of straw in the middle of the winter and I tried to use hay for their bedding for a little bit before I could get more and they just ate it.

After they shit all over it.

lol

well treyflix, i will contradict you, i had a relative lot of animals (rabbits, horses, guinea pigs) they ALL switched to straw, albeit relunctantly, when they ran out of hay, (although not the stuff they walked on, they took a bit of fresh straw and gobbled it down :D) i WILL agree with you that its not healthy for the animals however, theres no sustenance in straw that is present in hay (or at least not in quantaties fit for such animals)

You can already cut tall grass with Shears... why not add a system to make hay out of it.

And we already have a Scythe, a tool used for cutting grass. (i used to love doing that with my grandfather when i was a boy :) )

That could & should give more then one grass when used on tall grass.

The grass could be used to feed the animals or to make hay to feed them later.

Making it stack like charcoal would also make sense and look cool :)

You can already cut tall grass with Shears... why not add a system to make hay out of it.

And we already have a Scythe, a tool used for cutting grass. (i used to love doing that with my grandfather when i was a boy :)/> )

That could & should give more then one grass when used on tall grass.

The grass could be used to feed the animals or to make hay to feed them later.

Making it stack like charcoal would also make sense and look cool :)/>

Great idea!

Yes, and it won't escalate. Nice to meet you too dunk.

I was a bit insulted that someone tell me that I am completely wrong just based on a wikipedia article.I think that I was able to admit that I was somehow wrong, and I will not reply if he is not able to admit that he could have been wrong too.

Anyways, I would be happy to have a conversation about implementation of hay/straw in TFC if you ever think about it.

Sorry, AliceinGame. I didn't mean to insult you. I don't ever mean to insult. I tend to be a bit sarcastic and silly at times.

I too have seen animals eat straw, growing up in Upstate NY, we have our fair share of cattle, horses, and the like. I do know the difference between straw and hay. But I have seen on two separate farms (one farm in Red Hook NY, and Stables in Philmont) Where straw bales (Square, not round) were utilized.

I figured I would skip the "I seen it" and just quote the Wiki. It kinda skips the whole UFO/Bigfoot phase of "I once saw..."

But I digress. I am most definitely not an expert, especially in farm animals, but I have seen livestock eat straw... however bad it may be for them. And I have seen goats and pigs eat much much worse. >->. YUCK!

So please forgive?

GAME ON