Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
triplethreat78

Calling all LP'ers, and people interesting in a political/rpg style project with TFC

23 posts in this topic

INTRODUCTION:

First off, I'd like to introduce myself to those of you who may not know me. I'm triplethreat but people call me TT. I run a fairly popular TFC server (see the Servers posts for our server thread) and we have recently got many bukkit plugins to work with our server, allowing for us to have plugins such as Towny, Factions, and Essentials. The last month or so we have been playing around with the these getting them just right for how we'd like them. This has really improved the game play I feel however, it seems that with a lot of the popular LP'ers calling it quits and with TFC2 in the making, TFC1s popularity seems to be waning these days.

MY PROPOSAL:

Enter my project/idea: Start a fresh greylisted server and open it up for an interactive LP/political project using plugins such as Towny and Factions. I've decided to take a stab at doing a LP but its not going to just be "How to play TFC". Its going to be a "day-in-the-life" of a TFC server. I will vlog about the happenings on the server and such. My episodes might be short (approx 10-20min long) and occur about 2 - 3 times a week. I will go about my business of setting up shops and selling items to players. I'll discuss the progress of the town i'm living in as well as visit other towns on the server. If nations decide to start war, then I will vlog about that as well. The server will be PvP with no bans on stealing orgriefing. We can do this by using Essentials to lock chests, doors, tool racks an anvils (set up in the configuration). Being apart of a town means no one will be able to build or break blocks within your plots that you've purchased, encouraging players to play cooperatively. However, "homesteading" is an option if you'd like to join the server. I was waiting for build 76 to come out for this project idea but really couldn't wait.

HOW "LETS PLAY" CONTENT FITS IN THIS PROJECT:

I really would like to encourage LP'ers to join the server and vlog about what you are doing on the server. When you post your videos, add the tag: #tttfc so that when people view your videos they'll be able to find OTHER LP'ers who are on the server and they can see their perspective on whats going as well. Joining the server and contributing as a non-LP'er also allows for an interactive experience as they get to contribute to what they are experiencing when watching LP'er videos.

ATTRIBUTES OF THE SERVER:

I mentioned greylisting You might be asking what that is. Essentially, anyone can join the server without being whitelisted first. However, until they apply to the server so we can check them out on mcbans/mcbouncer they can't do anything except walk around and chat.

The mods we are running (aside from TFC of course) will be:

Smart Moving

Simply Horses (Simply TFC Horses is underway and may start using that when it comes out)

Custom NPCs (Used for making custom recipes, usage of coins and possibly some NPC quests)

Lanterns (custom recipes will be made for TFC compliance)

Leather Water Sack (made for TFC)

Medical Mod (made for TFC)

The Elegant Punt (The Whitehall is also avaiable for 1.4.7 so when build 76 comes out I will add that as well)

TradeBoothMod (Great for making player based economy. You create your own shop and sell your own items there)

To apply to the server, you can go here: http://terrafirmacra...orld-gaurdedit/

PICKING A TRADE:

One of the things I'd like to encourage on the server is choosing a trade or role. If you focus one task such as mining, meals, metalurgy etc you can use the economy to trade/sell your products to other players on the server. I'd also like to see traders too... people who utilize SimplyHorses to make a horse drawn cart to carry your items so you can travel from town to town trading and selling. This is the type of stuff I'd like to see on the server.

SO WHEN WILL WE BEGIN?

We are currently setting up the server and in the next few days the server will be ready to go public. Until then, feel free to apply to the server here: http://terrafirmacra...orld-gaurdedit/

well I for one am going to do a LP because we need some documentation of all the hilarious stuff that happens when you put these guys together.

Well if your server town ever needs a fine blacksmith, call me. Also, don't do mcbans checks, I have nothing on my mcbans ban-list since I was never banned on mcbans but its quite unfair if some moron who owns a shitty server puts you on there because you raid his base on a pvp server. And he decides that because his base is visible from 50 miles in each direction, it means you used wallhax to find his base. (I was a witness to this happening)

Also, about the towns, will the server literally start fresh and if someone want's to set up a town they can, and also can a town owner decide to do plots on a non payment basis, (are you using iconomy? if so can people opt out of using it?), or will the server start with, pre set town areas?

Well if your server town ever needs a fine blacksmith, call me. Also, don't do mcbans checks, I have nothing on my mcbans ban-list since I was never banned on mcbans but its quite unfair if some moron who owns a shitty server puts you on there because you raid his base on a pvp server. And he decides that because his base is visible from 50 miles in each direction, it means you used wallhax to find his base. (I was a witness to this happening)

Also, about the towns, will the server literally start fresh and if someone want's to set up a town they can, and also can a town owner decide to do plots on a non payment basis, (are you using iconomy? if so can people opt out of using it?), or will the server start with, pre set town areas?

-TK- I feel you on this. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I usually add people anyway on a "probationary" period. If they were banned longer than six months ago then I disregard the ban altogether.

The server will start fresh and you can create your own town if you choose to. You start out with $30 in iConomy cash but you dont have to use that money. If you want to use Custom NPC coins (which will be available) you can use those instead or cash them in for iConomy money to pay for towny plots.

-TK- I feel you on this. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I usually add people anyway on a "probationary" period. If they were banned longer than six months ago then I disregard the ban altogether.

The server will start fresh and you can create your own town if you choose to. You start out with $30 in iConomy cash but you dont have to use that money. If you want to use Custom NPC coins (which will be available) you can use those instead or cash them in for iConomy money to pay for towny plots.

Sounds nice actually, but my only fear is that I will be forced to use iconomy because if for example I wanted to make a town (with an anvil as its emblem :3) which will be famous for it's blacksmithing, If for example some small shop arose in another town, where would people with iConomy money go? To the place that has a wide range of items for sale but doesn't accept iConomy money? Or a place with a small range of items that accepts iConomy money? I really feel using simple haggling and then maybe some coins would work the best.

Depends on how the system is setup. I can imagine that iConomy could be like a banking system, all your money is stored safely, while the CustomNPC coins is the "hard" currency of the server. If you have a town, and thus have to pay taxes and such, then the taxes would come out of your bank account automatically. Actual purchasing of goods from player to player could be handled via coins and bartering only.

Dunno how they intend to impliment it, but I'm sure it would be easier for the towny plots to be automatically handled by iConomy. So if you want to claim an area for protection, you might be required to use iConomy.... Or just setup a deal with someone so you pay them coins and they allow you to build your shop on thier protected land.

Unless this server has like 10312083921 slots and 10481276402398141 players playing on it daily then you don't really need town taxes, as long as the people in the town are helping sustain the town then everything is fine. Like you would have 2 people managing the food district (farms and stuff) 2 people doing random errands and defending the city, 4 people mining, and 2 people forging. As long as there is a shared storage, everyone should be happy. Taxing people on top of that would be silly, you should be paying them money from any sales of the main product (tools in my case).

I really feel using simple haggling and then maybe some coins would work the best.

Don't let iConomy scare you off and yeah you can haggle with people. Currency shouldnt be the only thing that people are using. No one should be forced to use it, but you'll need some iConomy money to purchase plots or shop plots or towns etc. Killing agro mobs will actually gain you iConomy cash so theres but also.....

I can imagine that iConomy could be like a banking system, all your money is stored safely, while the CustomNPC coins is the "hard" currency of the server. If you have a town, and thus have to pay taxes and such, then the taxes would come out of your bank account automatically. Actual purchasing of goods from player to player could be handled via coins and bartering only.

Dunno how they intend to impliment it, but I'm sure it would be easier for the towny plots to be automatically handled by iConomy. So if you want to claim an area for protection, you might be required to use iConomy.... Or just setup a deal with someone so you pay them coins and they allow you to build your shop on thier protected land.

this is exactly how we will be run. Alamurla is correct.

Unless this server has like 10312083921 slots and 10481276402398141 players playing on it daily then you don't really need town taxes, as long as the people in the town are helping sustain the town then everything is fine. Like you would have 2 people managing the food district (farms and stuff) 2 people doing random errands and defending the city, 4 people mining, and 2 people forging. As long as there is a shared storage, everyone should be happy. Taxing people on top of that would be silly, you should be paying them money from any sales of the main product (tools in my case).

I agree with this. A town can have taxes if they wish. I dont know if I'll have them at my place. Although each town has upkeep so I might have a small tax to pay for that. So if say 10 people are in my town and its costs $15 per day for upkeep then a $2 tax daily is feasible. This can be accomplished by killing two mobs each day. Kill 10 and you're good for about 10 days.

While I have you, here's my first LP. I welcome you guys to do an LP yourself. This was my first time and I was a little nervous, also sound cut out (I explain what happened in the second episode)

Don't let iConomy scare you off and yeah you can haggle with people. Currency shouldnt be the only thing that people are using. No one should be forced to use it, but you'll need some iConomy money to purchase plots or shop plots or towns etc. Killing agro mobs will actually gain you iConomy cash so theres but also.....

this is exactly how we will be run. Alamurla is correct.

I agree with this. A town can have taxes if they wish. I dont know if I'll have them at my place. Although each town has upkeep so I might have a small tax to pay for that. So if say 10 people are in my town and its costs $15 per day for upkeep then a $2 tax daily is feasible. This can be accomplished by killing two mobs each day. Kill 10 and you're good for about 10 days.

While I have you, here's my first LP. I welcome you guys to do an LP yourself. This was my first time and I was a little nervous, also sound cut out (I explain what happened in the second episode)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSZrmUrwMoQ

The microphone quality is appalling I understand that it costs to get a good microphone but if you are serious about doing let's plays and being successful you need a proper mic, you will not be successful on a crappy mic. At least for now, record the sound separately, start recording in the menu so you can hear the click for the start of the video and can synchronise the sound later, then use a program like audacity to remove noise, this will mean you wont have that constant "wind in a grassy field" sound that your microphone is making.

Some criticism on the actual commentary:

If you are going to say something, avoid mumbling what you are doing, if you have nothing interesting to say then don't, If you are doing a tedious thing, fast forward the video and play some music or explain what you plan to do and cut the video, or as a third alternative you can commentate on a different topic, like for example the server while you do that tedious task since it means that your viewers can at least hear something that concerns them when what you are doing on screen is something boring and necessary. On that note, you actually did quite a lot of this, but once again, you need to keep talking, if you don't know what to talk about, write some topics down on a sheet of paper so when you finish one you can start another. Also, never say things like "umm" unless you are doing a dual commentary and trying to be sarcastic when answering a question, but its still a bad idea. Once you remove that, try to say stuff in sentences, if you want to explain something and have difficult talking constantly about that topic for more than a few seconds then try to write down a general structure to what you wish to say so that whenever you cant think of the next sentence you want to say, just look at the paper.

Not much to say past that.

Also, turn down in game sounds.

- I should have inb4'ed bad mic quality. Yeah I don't have a decent mic. I knew this going into the project.

- I'm not trying to be successul, I'm doing this for myself. I'd actually like to see some of the professional LP'ers join the server and do their own videos actually.

- All of your criticisms are things I already know. This is my first LP and was a little nervous.

- Already thought about taking down notes. In fact the 1st episode was me talking about the server, the mods and other things but the audio had gotten messed up.

Thanks for the comments. Like I said, I new to this and I'll get better as it goes but at my own pace.

How long have you been doing LPs? Just curious. If haven't done one before, you should take a stab at it. Maybe get on the server and make some yourself.

Meanwhile, here's my next episode:

And the second half:

You are piling out episodes like there's no tomorrow. :P

hmm, im interested in joining (for once) the issue is: im european and dont have recording equipment (also theres a MCbans for thievery, guess 5 apples are equally evil as nazi-fying an entire server, right?)

i'd probably become a gatherer of basic materials/builder/trader :D

You are piling out episodes like there's no tomorrow. :P

Hope thats a good thing and that the quality of my videos are improving. Like I said, I new to this and yeah I do need a new mic. Was planning on picking on up this weekend but got busy. Will try to this week. I'm about to post a three parter that I did with a guy who is relatively new to TFC and the last time he played was build 40 something. I'll post a link tomorrow when I get up.

hmm, im interested in joining (for once) the issue is: im european and dont have recording equipment (also theres a MCbans for thievery, guess 5 apples are equally evil as nazi-fying an entire server, right?)

i'd probably become a gatherer of basic materials/builder/trader :D

killster dont worry I've had you on the server before and you were great. I'm pretty leiniant about bans now that I've got a great system for protect player's things and structures. (as long as they belong to a town).

I'll add you. If you can get equipment to record, I'd love to have you do an LP. Currently Im the only player (that I know of) doing a lets play. I really would like to see some veterans on my server but most of them are currently busy with some Lets Plays of their own so I think this is a great time for novice youtubers like myself to shine!

One more thing... I should note to you TK and Killster, that I cannot promote you to Builder status (aka 'whitelist' you) until you connect at least once to the server. TK your username is fact TK, no? And yours is killster550, no?

One more thing... I should note to you TK and Killster, that I cannot promote you to Builder status (aka 'whitelist' you) until you connect at least once to the server. TK your username is fact TK, no? And yours is killster550, no?

I'm pretty sure I had logged in once before. I didn't know the server was back up already. I will make sure to log in after I return from college today.

Yes, my username is TK. Back from the days when mine craft was just a small unnoticed game and 2 letter usernames were not something to talk about.

Also, you made a double post. I think you should edit that out.

Also, you made a double post. I think you should edit that out.

A double post?

Also, here is the first of a three parter:

Ok, I joined and ran round some. You posted one post, then posted another one after the first one when you could have just edited the one before.

Ok, I joined and ran round some. You posted one post, then posted another one after the first one when you could have just edited the one before.

Ok when I get on next (might be tonight) I'll promote you to Builder and yeah I'll fix that.

Episode 6b:

A comment on your Charcoal pit.

If your pit is smaller then 12x12x13, then you can start the fire on any block you choose, it doesn't have to be the middle one.

The fire spreads 12 blocks away in every direction.

But do not make it higher then 13 blocks, there is a bug in B75 that will crash your server.

For more info you can have a look here Charcoal pit test

A comment on your Charcoal pit.

If your pit is smaller then 12x12x13, then you can start the fire on any block you choose, it doesn't have to be the middle one.

The fire spreads 12 blocks away in every direction.

But do not make it higher then 13 blocks, there is a bug in B75 that will crash your server.

For more info you can have a look here Charcoal pit test

Thanks for this input! Good to know.

Last part of Episode 6: