Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
aliceingame

Statistic about smelting

14 posts in this topic

I want to play as a blacksmith on a server and want to calculate cost of items based on the cost of raw material.

I smelted 4 stack of sphalerite (one at the time, using an average of 9 charcoal for each) and I got an average of 2.5 unshaped zinc per stack. So one zinc cost of one zinc is 1 ceramic mold, 3,2 sphalerite and 3,6 charcoal.

So my question is, do anybody have statistic about smelting ore? What is the output of each type of ore?

If I can get enough data, I can share on google drive so people would be able to set their price of their item (including a fee in % for working the metal, etc).

ehhm......that would be alright i guess :), as long as you dont post "ERMAHGERD GUYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN THE CODE!!!!!".

The devs are completely against numbers, so not posting it here/keeping it for a private community would be a good idea :D .

EDIT: i realized just now that if you take the information from gameplay (what you described above) it's not forbidden.

But it's not encouraged to share widely, Dunk and Bioxx have posted in a couple threads that it doesn't really make them feel good when people did it.

Well, to be honest after many test, I realized that it's a bit random. Platinum get about .75 per stack, nickel about 2 and most metal about 2.25-2.50. That's it.

I could try to accurately predict the code values with some tests but you can do the same. I do not see why you are asking us. Just smelt one ore at a time until you get the first full ingot with no excess of ore. This will use a lot of charcoal since you are smelting the ores one by one.

then you divide the amount of full ore pieces by the number of ingots. And with charcoal numbers. I just put enough charcoal for a 1:1 and then add from 1 to 3 additional pieces dependant on the temperature.

ehhm......that would be alright i guess :), as long as you dont post "ERMAHGERD GUYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN THE CODE!!!!!".

The devs are completely against numbers, so not posting it here/keeping it for a private community would be a good idea :D .

EDIT: i realized just now that if you take the information from gameplay (what you described above) it's not forbidden.

No, a month or two back, we had some guy counting pixels and posting it on the forums. Bioxx jumped in and deleted the thread and banned him for a week or two.

This is supposed to be a challenging, difficult, and fun game. No matter how much you may want to know the real numbers, in the end it ruins the game. A lot of our players have just lost interest in vanilla because it seems rather tame, not because the game is bad, but because there's nothing new and exciting. Nothing unknown. This is something we tried very hard to fix in TFC. We added more new and exciting things to do, things that can't necessarily be learned or even work the same way seed to seed.

In short, we designed the game the way we did and attempt to control what information about the game is exposed to the community not out of some desire to horde our code or knowledge, not to take away your freedom, but because it makes the game better. It's a problem we noted in vanilla and attempted to fix and we really don't like it when people come along and deliberately spoil the surprise.

I started making a cheat-sheet for making perfect tools, and i have to say that started killing my fun factor.

Now i just try different things and sometimes, make a perfect tool .... much more fun this way :)

when ore goes in the bloomery cant they just randomize the metal content within a range for each ore type?

also maybe put 1 in 5 at +/-2 SDs to screw up the data.

when ore goes in the bloomery cant they just randomize the metal content within a range for each ore type?

also maybe put 1 in 5 at +/-2 SDs to screw up the data.

Do you want luck to be a component? really? I would see that as a bad thing

How about randomizing the values at world gen so they are constant for each map but separate for each seed.

No, a month or two back, we had some guy counting pixels and posting it on the forums. Bioxx jumped in and deleted the thread and banned him for a week or two.

This is supposed to be a challenging, difficult, and fun game. No matter how much you may want to know the real numbers, in the end it ruins the game. A lot of our players have just lost interest in vanilla because it seems rather tame, not because the game is bad, but because there's nothing new and exciting. Nothing unknown. This is something we tried very hard to fix in TFC. We added more new and exciting things to do, things that can't necessarily be learned or even work the same way seed to seed.

In short, we designed the game the way we did and attempt to control what information about the game is exposed to the community not out of some desire to horde our code or knowledge, not to take away your freedom, but because it makes the game better. It's a problem we noted in vanilla and attempted to fix and we really don't like it when people come along and deliberately spoil the surprise.

Yeah, ever since I found all the pixel values for all the actions on the anvils, smithing became quite a bit more boring :( It is always fun to be able to impress people with perfect tools on servers though :P Besides that I regret it.

nah, this is just an easier way then assigning a quality to every chunk of ore.

There is something random in smelting ore. Like I said, I got an average of 2.5 zinc ingot by stack of 8 ore. You can get 2.25 or even 2.6, you never know before you mold it.

I don't want to know the exact value, just a kind of average to set selling price that would be calculated based on the purchase price of ore. I was able to do something with average value of one stack of ore.

I don't think that it would ruin the fun of the game.. For example, if one stack give 2.5 ingot you know that you need about 3.2 pieces of ore to get 1 ingot. It only mean that if I don't have about 45 pieces of ore, I will not start smelting everything to make an anvil, I would wait to get at least that amount so I don't have to carry 6 double ingot with me.

Even if I did start counting pixels, I would still end up with average values. I am satisfied with the information I got by myself.

Yeah, ever since I found all the pixel values for all the actions on the anvils, smithing became quite a bit more boring :( It is always fun to be able to impress people with perfect tools on servers though :P Besides that I regret it.

You can go check out and support my thread that gives an idea for a cool system where the anvil operations would all be based on the seed.