Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
-TK-

Randomized anvil tool finishing combinations

14 posts in this topic

Note, since I have the instinct to type "hit" each time I mean "anvil operation" presume any uses of "hit" to be "anvil operation".

The idea:

I had this idea some time ago, after I myself started to count pixels to get forging done. The idea is to use a complex algorithm (that I could try to make myself) which would depending on the seed, generate a completely random set of tool finishing button presses. The current system is way too easy to learn off by heart and if you are patient, you can practically do it blindfolded. With this system there would be no more of this nonsense, the values for each of the tool operations would change, the combination of last 3 movements would change, and the amount of the last nolongerthree operations would change.

The basics:

Here is a list of the basic features that will be covered in this post:

• Randomized operation movement values, based on a base value, a random multiplier, and rounding the values to whole numbers.
  • A set order for the number of final operation combinations needed for tiers of metals.
  • Fully randomized final operation combination system with a fail safe so you can always forge the tool and never be unable to go quite far enough on the scale to get the tool you need at full health.
  • A checking system to make sure that during the random generation of all these values, every combination is possible(practically the same as above).
  • Using the seed to seed the random number generator so that (Technically? Can someone confirm this?) you can share seeds for which you know the anvil values so that if you are still a massive pussy you can keep your paper cheat sheet for anvil combos.
And before you ask, yes I'm most definitely a crazy masochistic madman, and yes I still think this idea would be too easy.

The !basics:

Randomization:

The randomization will be done with a random number generator, duh.

The order of things:

Non-basically the first thing to happen is the values for the different operations will have a multiplier applied to them, from about 0.7 to 1.3, this will mean that the values will always vary, so no counting pixels for you.

Then the second thing to happen is a multiplier will be applied to base values for the distance of the starting point from the left side. The same will be done for the right side, the multipliers will be similar to those above. This will mean that you can no longer estimate counting pixels because you are a baby, you will need to do things like a man.

After those two parts, some fancy yet simple maths will be done to determine the amount of space you need from that marker to the ending marker and then to the edge, so that limits can be set as to what the final combinations can be.

After this, a last hit will be chosen, starting on the rightmost edge of the final marker so that it is fully possible. If the metal tier is very high, the marker will need to be closer to the edge of the bar to start with so difficulty is increased. Then a calculation will be made for the next few markers before that, always trying to stay within the limits of the bar but depending on the metal tier trying to keep the difficulty of forging correct.

Then after that is done, a check will be done one last time, whether you can get to the starting position for the metal rules, and can you finish on the right most edge of the final marker.

So basically, not only will the code make sure you can forge well, but it will make sure you can also fuck up, and fuck up to the highest degree.

A final note:

I have decided that this is possible, and if I say so, then that clearly means that its possible. Therefore if someone says this is not possible, no cake for them.

In the comments section you may complain about your lack of cake, you may complain that this is silly, you may praise that this is silly, you may make remarks about my sanity, you may criticize the idea for being stupid, you may criticize the idea for being good, you may even have your own opinions, but you must not, ever, say that the cake was a lie!

Posted Image

Note: This thread is nowhere near finished and partially rushed atm, I got tired, sorry.

I don't has cake !

I think it would be more accurate if it was completely random.

Didn't read the whole thing word for word, but looks pretty good to me.

I think it would be more accurate if it was completely random.

The problem with randomizing everything is that you might end up with some things that you can't forge. Also you might end up with a zinc pickaxe being more difficult to forge than a steel pickaxe. I will soon likely write some pseudo code to explain my system in detail.

The problem with randomizing everything is that you might end up with some things that you can't forge. Also you might end up with a zinc pickaxe being more difficult to forge than a steel pickaxe. I will soon likely write some pseudo code to explain my system in detail.

Not if you adjust the range foe each metal type. The lower tier metals could have a smaller range of variation and higher tier metals a wider range. Thereby making the game harder as you progress to higher tier metals.

Hmm, good idea, I'll just add it to the op. Oh wait it's already written. Must have been the magic idea fairies or something. By using a separate multiplier for everything you do just this. Also what you suggested sounded like removing those multipliers. If it's completely random then all the values must be random, you just suggested limiting those values, I'm not sure what you are getting at. Do you want randomly non random values or do you want non random random values?

Basically to sum up. You disagreed with me, then I posed my counter argument, then you used my original idea to argue against my counter argument.

As you can obviously tell. I am not disagreeing with you. I am absolutely agreeing with your op. I was using your statement for emphasis not as an argument. As for your sarcasm - I'll choose to let that fade away. Since, you obviously misread my intent.

As you can obviously tell. I am not disagreeing with you. I am absolutely agreeing with your op. I was using your statement for emphasis not as an argument. As for your sarcasm - I'll choose to let that fade away. Since, you obviously misread my intent.

Well, writing "I agree" before your initial statement, would probably cause this situation to never happen.

Probably, but I am not used to having to restate the obvious. Anyway moving on. The idea should be used and I hope it is implemented soon.

Probably, but I am not used to having to restate the obvious. Anyway moving on. The idea should be used and I hope it is implemented soon.

Protip: if you have to be asked about something you find obvious, you may in fact be the only person it's obvious to

Ok I get it! This was over a few days ago. Give it a rest. Trolling I don't need and or want to participate with. Therefore I will not respond to this issue anymore. I wish the OP the best of luck in getting this implemented.

Ok I get it! This was over a few days ago. Give it a rest. Trolling I don't need and or want to participate with. Therefore I will not respond to this issue anymore. I wish the OP the best of luck in getting this implemented.

Nobody here was trolling, at least by my definition.

lol, you thought THAT was me trolling?

Posted Image

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0