Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Menoch

RPG- Good, Evil, and the line between...

7 posts in this topic

As some of you may know, I have been developing a tabletop RPG Board Game TCG/CCG. It is in the works and it is coming along better than my expectations.

The imagery, composed mainly of colored pencils, marker, and Photoshop magic, is telling of a realm of mystique, age, and personality.

The game involves character development, with characters having their own personalities and personal drives.

One thing I have been mulling over however is, that while I have been in development with this game for many years now, it has always been in the good (players) versus evil (story) vein.

But just recently I have entertained the thought of making some of the characters Good, some Evil, and some Neutral.

This adds many facets to the game, especially with the elements I have added.

I like the idea of tabletop games because it brings players together on a personal and social aspect... no mmorpg can come close to that, though many do have a very high social feel to guild creation and gameplay. But in the end, this is my road.... for now. ;)

With the addition of GOOD, EVIL, and everything in between, it will increases the PvP element in the game, as well as add 3 different paths to victory in this game, however it might make for a longer game as opposed to if it were just good (The players) versus evil (the game world) and therefore being one, straight forward goal.

I value the thoughts of the lot of you here on the forums, and would like any input you may have, as well as what types of characters (in the fantasy genre) you would like to see in such a game.

Thank you,

Menoch

Ok, developing a tabletop RPG is awesome. As a fan of RPing and tabletop I find this nice, even tough I never got to playing a tabletop game ( Not much audience for that here in Romania ). I think that a making different characters of different alignments goes better with :

...character development, with characters having their own personalities and personal drives.

I think it would be nice if you had as few cliche " Evil Overlord "-s, " Good Hero "-s and the like as possible and try to take the them as a base and twist their personality and goals one way or the other until you think they are interesting enough. It could do for some good, original NPCs. Anyways, just finishing the game is quite a feat. Do you work on it alone ?

... Do you work on it alone ?

I had put my feelers out to a few friends and acquaintances and some artists I know, and while a few were interested, it would seem their interests quickly waned and I have not heard from them. I don't like to have to chase people down regarding such things. If they are interested, they are interested. If not, no biggie. They too have their own lives and dreams. This has not discouraged me however.

In fact I do realize that it is very difficult to get others interested in a vision that you are too careful to immediately share for copyright purposes. I have a very good friend, Comic Book artist Robert Taylor and founder and creator of Inspired Viewpoints ( http://inspiredviewpoints.weebly.com ), who I have had the great pleasure of revealing all that is the grand scheme of the game. He is almost as excited about the project as I am.

Next month's edition of Inspired Viewpoints he will be interviewing an incredibly talented novelist whom he will approach about writing short stories based on the characters already developed as well as the world in which this game is set.

As for the art, I have been an artist all my life, dabbling in various mediums, and have already done a vast chunk of the game... though in totality it is about 20% complete. My web designer (lol... my sister) is coming from Chicago this weekend to discuss the overall website layout and animation for the site. Pretty exciting!! :) Once the website is up, the game will be outlined, art showcased, and the story revealed.

Playtesting comes after the copyright and then Patenting and then Kickstarter.

In the end though, it comes down to the people that will be playing the game. That is why I try to reach out when I can to get feedback regarding various aspects of what the game will be, and to see what people look for and what they identify with.

I feel your pain though, in not having people to play these types of games with. I have lots of people here that I can play with, but I am usually too busy to find the time outside of work and this project. :)

In terms of good and evil there is always the good guy doing bad things believing he is doing good, or the guy taking upon great evil to do good.

But honestly i more like the stories where you seriously are in doubt if anything that happens is good or bad at all, and also the characters motives.

To "illustrate" this (bad pun), and knowing you like manga. Try giving this one a shot, and you'll see what i mean.

http://www.mangareader.net/a-fairytale-for-the-demon-lord

Awesome art by the way, AND NORSE MYTHOLOGY!!!!!!!

i fell like you could always do the g/n/e cnl thing from d&d since it can make for a better charter. exsamples of 4 charters was robin hood (chatotic good) king arther (lawful good) darth vador(lawful evil) and atilla the hun (chotic evil) so if you can use that stile to make the carters it could posbly lead to better game play. also sorry for my spelling just woke up

idunno, i never really liked the fact that a lot of these games that have good/evil paths usually only reward you for going full force into one or the other, either being a freaking saint or a complete evil overlord, theres never any real bonus for staying fairly neutral, which i usually try to do

i kind of see it as a sight analogy, too much darkenss, and you can't see. but being too atuned to the light will blind you also, neither can exist without the other

I always like a little bit of moral ambiguity in a RPG. Don't tell a player an action is good, allow them to decide for themselves. Once particular series of games that did this well was the Geneforge series by Spiderweb Software. Now since this is a video game and not table top some of the factors don't apply. However, the concept of removing concrete moral distinctions can still apply. If two players/characters naturally disagree on a certain moral decision then there is no need to assign a label to their morality standing for a conflict to ensue. Don't ask players "Do you want to go down the path of good/evil/neutrality?". Instead, present them with a scenario and allow them to seek a resolution using options that are neither clearly good nor clearly evil, but instead have elements of both. It is a matter of what things a player/character is willing to sacrifice in order to fulfill their ideals.