Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aria230

Question from someone sick of prospecting for ore

18 posts in this topic

Yes i want to cheat my way to a easy-to-get supply of ores.

Is there a mod/ texture pack that turns all types of stones into glass? Or anithing transparent that may allow me to see where the ore clusters can be found. I realised this is a bit difficult since the original minecraft layout is set to show a block , only if it's exposed on atleast one side. I checked X-Ray mod and tried to delete the stone textures, doesn't do anithing for my problem.

My explaining why i want this:

I love tfc very much but i really, really, really (really*infinity) hate wasting my time and metals on prospecting for ores. This is one part of tfc i can do without. That's because my general goals in tfc are building, agriculture and exploring (nature and posibilities).

If anyone is so kinde as to give me a link or advice as to how to do it , i would be greatly thanckful :)

I remember someone who succeeded in this task, he could see ore chunks floating in the air, he posted his results because he was explaining how ore veins spawn in different location in a different way from the seed, even recreating the same world didn't assure the same veins in the same spots.. unfortunately i don't remember where is that topic or which mod he was using.. At least now you know that it's possible

PS. prospecting for ores is one of the main pillars of TFC, if you don't love this you don't love TFC, moreover if you aquire some skill in prospecting you don't have to waste so much metal, a steel propick lasts very long, you can find a lot of veins only with one of those, and if you're lucky and you find a big vein it will last very long time even if it makes only tier 0 metals.. If you're complaining about not being able to reach even tier 5, i understand you a little.. i can't find gold, nickel nor silver veins in the last game..

My situation is rather difrent, though i'm sure i'll eventualy coma acros your's to. I'm a beginer and i spawn in a very abundend land. I have like 3 cooper clusters that i prospected on the surface and a few others even deeper in the ground. Then i went even deeper and found Bismith, Olivine and Garnierite close together with traces of some other thing i don't remember right now. In both cases it's very confusing and tools wasting. Apart from that, my first prospecting was nice... after i got lost a few times searching for metals to build a second pickaxe :))

In my opinion, prospecting is something that should be worked on, it could be made fun, but at the moment it's something i can do without.

My situation is rather difrent, though i'm sure i'll eventualy coma acros your's to. I'm a beginer and i spawn in a very abundend land. I have like 3 cooper clusters that i prospected on the surface and a few others even deeper in the ground. Then i went even deeper and found Bismith, Olivine and Garnierite close together with traces of some other thing i don't remember right now. In both cases it's very confusing and tools wasting. Apart from that, my first prospecting was nice... after i got lost a few times searching for metals to build a second pickaxe :)/>)

In my opinion, prospecting is something that should be worked on, it could be made fun, but at the moment it's something i can do without.

Garnierite? Go away you suck lol

I remember someone who succeeded in this task, he could see ore chunks floating in the air, he posted his results because he was explaining how ore veins spawn in different location in a different way from the seed, even recreating the same world didn't assure the same veins in the same spots.. unfortunately i don't remember where is that topic or which mod he was using.. At least now you know that it's possible

I think that guy just deleted all the stone, the flew around in creative.

Also, Not enough items is you answer.

You would need to edit x-ray yourself so it removed all the different types of stone and other unwanted materials since the normal mod is meant to work with vanilla stone which is different to the many varieties this mod offers. I don't see why you would want to remove such a key element of the mod. There are many other mods that add much more sophisticated agriculture and also if you are only going to do agriculture and architecture then why do you need metals? Other than tier 1 metals which are very easy to find.

My situation is rather difrent, though i'm sure i'll eventualy coma acros your's to. I'm a beginer and i spawn in a very abundend land. I have like 3 cooper clusters that i prospected on the surface and a few others even deeper in the ground. Then i went even deeper and found Bismith, Olivine and Garnierite close together with traces of some other thing i don't remember right now. In both cases it's very confusing and tools wasting. Apart from that, my first prospecting was nice... after i got lost a few times searching for metals to build a second pickaxe :))

Uhm, It is not so different from what almost everybody experienced in TFC.. You said that prospecting should be worked on, but TFC doesn't aim to make game easier, it aims to make it believable and challenging, you need maybe more practice with pro-pick, because there are a lot of veins hided somewhere below your feet.. however i think -TK- is right, x-ray mod is one of the few mods able to do what you need, but you have to edit it yourself, i could be rather difficult..

I think that guy just deleted all the stone, the flew around in creative.

Also, Not enough items is you answer.

I don't know why, but i sense some reproof in your reply, if so chill out, we're all here trying to help.. it is not necessary to act like this, if not i can't understand the way you replied like this

I hated prospecting, after much practice in a cheat world (thanks to the wonders of NEI) I figured out how to do it properly, and its not so bad....Its probably harder to find a mod that does what you want, than it it to practice with the pro pick in a test world with NEI.

Anyway, my two cents, and if I can do it, anyone can because man I am such a slow learner.

I hated prospecting, after much practice in a cheat world (thanks to the wonders of NEI) I figured out how to do it properly, and its not so bad....Its probably harder to find a mod that does what you want, than it it to practice with the pro pick in a test world with NEI.

Anyway, my two cents, and if I can do it, anyone can because man I am such a slow learner.

I quote, except for when i learned about pro-pick, i was instead excited at the beginning because of this new thing, so much different from vanilla minecraft, i remember the first hours i played TFC, it was annoying sometimes searching so much, digging like a drunk mole because i was following literally the surveys of the propick, but when i documented myself reading some topics here i learned well the triangulation system, and i'll tell you, more 95 % of the times i mine without fail, if you want to know the method is rather simple:

1) search for the higher point from surface you survey a "very large vein of" ores, minerals;

2) dig down for about 12 metres;

2a) if the survey detect smaller amount of the vein than before, mine horizontally few metre from the higher "very large" spot to discover the direction of vein from you, it's important in this passage to discover where the signal become smaller rather than finding again a spot with "very large";

3) if digging 12 metres down gives you again "very large" survey, begin digging horizontally in 2 opposing directions, like North and South, reach the point where you can survey the edges of "very large" signal;

4) count how wide in metres is the "very large" survey, then find the middle of your "very large" area and mine horizontally in the remaining directions (if the first tunnel is from north to south, now you have to mine to east and west);

5) now do as point 4, calculate how wide east and west edges of the "very large" area and mark the middle point,

6 ) once you do so you have you have a rather precise middle point of the vein, and if you haven't found the vein yet, mine a bit up and down, because the vein is somewhere near that point

Note 2 things:

the first is that, at least for myself, just discovering the higher "very large" survey and digging down 12 metres from it, is sufficient to reach a very close point to the vein, many times i had only to mine horizontally after digged 12 metres to find the vein i was searching for;

the second thing is that when you are searching for the edges of the "very large" area, you have to note that an area smaller than 25 metres means a bit far vein from the centre of your area, because the propick search in a radius of 12 metres in every direction, so a very close vein will be smaller than one block, and this is inconsistent with your survey

I really hope this can help you if you can't find a easy and cheaty way to find ores :)

There are a few Texture Packs that don't have any Textures for the Protection Meter. While you can't see where the Veins are you can find where caves are underground if you want...

I despised prospecting for the longest time, than I thought of it the opposite of what most would, I found a huge vein of zinc by digging straight down in the first place I used my propick, it's difficult, but if you think outside the box, you can usually find the vein.

If you are tired of using prospecting pics use sluices , or use them next to an ore vein to get infinite ore out of that vein "in theory" this will work <DUNK fix this!Maybe?

It doesn't really work because you need to invest gravel to find ore with sluices. They don't run without it.

I once used a set of five sluices to get myself two zinc ingots, as I had no other source of metal available. It cost me about six stacks of gravel to do that and required me to pretty much spend all my time (not spent procuring gravel) at the sluices to refill them.

Basically it cost me a beach worth in gravel and an afternoon of gameplay time. Totally not worth it. You'll run out of gravel before you get even a single 16-stack of metal ingots, and you'll be doing an absolutely mind-numbing, repetitive task for hours on end.

Plus, even with gravel (which is supposed to boost ores over gems), you'll be getting 4-6 useless gems for every small ore nugget...

I don't know why, but i sense some reproof in your reply, if so chill out, we're all here trying to help.. it is not necessary to act like this, if not i can't understand the way you replied like this

And I don't know why you sensed any reproof in halfmaster1's reply. :-)

IIRC, the guy who posted stats on ore distribution did do it by deleting rock blocks in creative, and a good answer to aria230's original question is to use the Too Many Items mod. It seems to me that halfmaster1 was being quite helpful.

I hate my prospecting pick. It has the tendency to only identify ores that are mixed with useless minerals. Notably, the minerals are "very large deposits" whereas the limonite is always a "small deposit."

It doesn't really work because you need to invest gravel to find ore with sluices. They don't run without it.

I once used a set of five sluices to get myself two zinc ingots, as I had no other source of metal available. It cost me about six stacks of gravel to do that and required me to pretty much spend all my time (not spent procuring gravel) at the sluices to refill them.

Basically it cost me a beach worth in gravel and an afternoon of gameplay time. Totally not worth it. You'll run out of gravel before you get even a single 16-stack of metal ingots, and you'll be doing an absolutely mind-numbing, repetitive task for hours on end.

Plus, even with gravel (which is supposed to boost ores over gems), you'll be getting 4-6 useless gems for every small ore nugget...

Gold pans?

Can possibly extend your gravel supply (but it will still consume it at some point), but makes the task even more mind-numbingly tedious. Also, I read somewhere that it only works in river biomes, which may not be where the vein you want to exploit is situated.

Gold panning requiring river biomes only counts when panning sand afaik. Gravel's only requirement is it being under water.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0