Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devlin

Birds. (and other atmosphere things)

17 posts in this topic

So yeah. been a while since I have been on but I was watching a video of some one doing a lets play on this overhaul when I realized that TFC still has done very little work on mobs. this is not a huge deal for now, but I do feel that we should address the issue of atmospheric mobs. and the first one to pop into my mind is Birds, then fish, and bugs. Also, adding in small features like wind (like in Tropicraft or something) and maybe piles of leaves or something would really bring the world to life. (Wind and leaf piles would be much later, for now just a few small atmospheric mobs would be great) If anyone else agrees please share your ideas, anything you can think of that I missed.

I could see birds being brought in. They're just big enough that'd they'd make sense if added. As for insects, I'd say they're too small. As for fish, those could make sense, but it'd be hard to add them properly, as in, make them have a real use.

a real use for fish? fish have tons of uses. food, fertilizer, fish oil (both medicine, fuel (rarely) and occasionally used in in place of other oils), animal feed, exct.

as for bugs i was thinking just a few small ones like dragonflies and crickets, ambient insects that just add a bit to the game. they probably would not drop anything though, just look interesting and maybe mosquitoes that sometimes bite you and give you a small debuff, with a slight chance of disease (this would also be much later on) both could also be used for decoration and zoos (just a little something extra for people to do and make their homes truly unique, also adding in mob heads for every mob that you can mount would be a great addition but this is getting off topic.) but the general idea is ambiance that you can see as well as hear. however i do hear you and do understand that these might be difficult to implement or actually have a use. anyways yeah please free to add.

(P.S.

While I am not going to say do not criticize ideas, i will say that i feel that these forums should be used to give ideas and build on them not destroy them. i believe that it is up to the dev/dev's (not even sure if anyone but Dunk is working on this anymore) to decide what they want to add and what not and how to implement it.)

a real use for fish? fish have tons of uses. food, fertilizer, fish oil (both medicine, fuel (rarely) and occasionally used in in place of other oils), animal feed, exct.

as for bugs i was thinking just a few small ones like dragonflies and crickets, ambient insects that just add a bit to the game. they probably would not drop anything though, just look interesting and maybe mosquitoes that sometimes bite you and give you a small debuff, with a slight chance of disease (this would also be much later on) both could also be used for decoration and zoos (just a little something extra for people to do and make their homes truly unique, also adding in mob heads for every mob that you can mount would be a great addition but this is getting off topic.) but the general idea is ambiance that you can see as well as hear. however i do hear you and do understand that these might be difficult to implement or actually have a use. anyways yeah please free to add.

(P.S.

While I am not going to say do not criticize ideas, i will say that i feel that these forums should be used to give ideas and build on them not destroy them. i believe that it is up to the dev/dev's (not even sure if anyone but Dunk is working on this anymore) to decide what they want to add and what not and how to implement it.)

No, I was saying it'd be hard to implement catchable fish that are visible.

No, I was saying it'd be hard to implement catchable fish that are visible.

I was planning to implement exactly that until I had to put animal code away and start on other features

Just remodel the bats and make them sit on top of the block, rather than behind ;)

I could see birds being brought in. They're just big enough that'd they'd make sense if added. As for insects, I'd say they're too small. As for fish, those could make sense, but it'd be hard to add them properly, as in, make them have a real use.

Fish don't have a use ? Why do we have fishing rods in minecraft ? (the mojang team have been interested in making fishing and fish better)

I suport this thread :D

Just remodel the bats and make them sit on top of the block, rather than behind ;)

A rather elegant solution, actually

Of course, you'd also have to change their AI and spawn conditions

A rather elegant solution, actually

Of course, you'd also have to change their AI and spawn conditions

Yeah, but birds don't flutter around as much as bats do. Bats do a lot of swarming. Most birds just go from point A to B.

Yeah, but birds don't flutter around as much as bats do. Bats do a lot of swarming. Most birds just go from point A to B.

Not the birds I know. Yes, they do fly directly fit a while, but then they flutter for a while.

Also, Dunk, could you change my title?

Insects are quite important in nature, to be honest. Many small animals eat all kinds of insects, and just adding only relatively few insects not only adds little diversity, but may cause a problem if ecosystems were to be implemented.

I love diversity in a species, because they're unique in ways unimaginable to humans. Each organism family has their own talents and beauty, which adds true life and flavor. Just slapping one type of dragonfly or cricket into the TFC world to me is just plain silly and static.

I understand this about the atmosphere and not gameplay/technical-ity, so feel free to point out any wrong I have said in this post.

Not the birds I know. Yes, they do fly directly fit a while, but then they flutter for a while.

Also, Dunk, could you change my title?

Sure thing.

Sure thing.

How would that work?

Haha very funny.

It might also be nice if birds and insects get quiet when they sense danger is nearby. Thus we could use the environment to alert us to the possibility of nearby danger, if we listen. You know since creepers are so darn sneaky.

It might also be nice if birds and insects get quiet when they sense danger is nearby. Thus we could use the environment to alert us to the possibility of nearby danger, if we listen. You know since creepers are so darn sneaky.

It's quiet...

TOO quiet.

Love it <3.

or, for the fish, make them like squids, where if they're out of the water, they die, and always drop a fish item.

this way, pulling the mob directly out of the water will net you a fish item, from the drop of the mob

and make them naturaly flee the player if they get in the water, so you don't get people swimming around with a sword hacking up fishes

If we're going to go atmospheric, why not add rabbits and rats?

Rats will gnaw (and damage) anything in which food is stored, but provide a source of basic food and a reason to seek out and tame Cats, as well as possibly the means. A rat corpse would be much easier to acquire than a fish in some cases.

Rabbits, of course, would be quick-breeding and low-maintenance, dropping a Rabbit Corpse (see: chicken) and one Hide.

Same goes for squirrels, except not breedable by the player.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0