Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minecraftaddict

Bloomery or Forge?

11 posts in this topic

I've recently created both a Bloomery and a forge in my Terrafirmacraft world, I've used both and from what I can see, the Forge seems much better for the player who doesn't mind waiting around a bit, and seems to overpower (in my opinion) the Bloomery

I'm new to the forums, and also to TerrafirmaCraft, this is my findings, please feel free to correct me, but please do so in a constructive manner : )

Benefits of a Forge

• Can cook / smelt up to five items/ore at a time
  • Gets a heat bonus if all five fuel slots are used
  • Has a better fuel consumption to ore ratio than the Bloomery (they cannot smelt ore, thanks for the info guys) - edited
  • Can control the end heat result of the ores you are smelting (take them out at desired heat) (see above, cannot smelt ore)
Cons of a Forge
  • All five fuel slots required to be full at all times for heating bonus
Benefits of a Bloomery
  • Can smelt ore in large bulk amounts in minimal time
  • Smelted ore becomes heated to the hottest possible
Cons of a Bloomery
  • Requires a greater quantity of charcoal to ore ratio than what the forge does
  • Everything comes out at super-heated tempratures
  • Cannot cook food or heat items, only ore - edited in
This begs the question, is the Bloomery pointless unless you have absolutely ridiculous amounts of ore?

Edit: Questions answered, thanks guys. Hopefully this helps others

You can't smelt ore in a forge, only ingots. And double ingots, i think.

You can't smelt ore in a forge, only ingots. And double ingots, i think.

Your actually right, thanks for pointing this out, now there is a reason to keep the Bloomery lol.

I wont bother editing the original post, but I'll consider this topic closed, thanks Emris

I've recently created both a Bloomery and a forge in my Terrafirmacraft world, I've used both and from what I can see, the Forge seems much better for the player who doesn't mind waiting around a bit, and seems to overpower (in my opinion) the Bloomery

I'm new to the forums, and also to TerrafirmaCraft, this is my findings, please feel free to correct me, but please do so in a constructive manner : )

Benefits of a Forge

• Can cook / smelt up to five items/ore at a time
  • Gets a heat bonus if all five fuel slots are used
  • Has a better fuel consumption to ore ratio than the Bloomery
  • Can control the end heat result of the ores you are smelting (take them out at desired heat)
Cons of a Forge
  • All five fuel slots required to be full at all times for heating bonus
Benefits of a Bloomery
  • Can smelt ore in large bulk amounts in minimal time
  • Smelted ore becomes heated to the hottest possible
Cons of a Bloomery
  • Requires a greater quantity of charcoal to ore ratio than what the forge does
  • Everything comes out at super-heated tempratures
This begs the question, is the Bloomery pointless unless you have absolutely ridiculous amounts of ore?

I don't think it is wise to confront these to constructions, because are different and do different things one from the other, bloomery smelt ingots and nothing else, you can't cook eggs on it, and you can't smelt ores at the forge, which is instead preferible to fire for cooking, creating torches and heating items like ingots.. so this topic should be "Firepit or Forge" because they share almost the same functions, except for smelting

For starters? A bloomery is the way to go. Smelting in a firepit just doesn't cut it for nearly all metals (although you can get away with copper). Forges are completely necessary in the long run unless you somehow manage to smelt all the iron you'll need for the higher tier metals at once and prevent it from cooling down. (not likely)

Early game bloomery is more useful than forge though.

For starters? A bloomery is the way to go. Smelting in a firepit just doesn't cut it for nearly all metals (although you can get away with copper). Forges are completely necessary in the long run unless you somehow manage to smelt all the iron you'll need for the higher tier metals at once and prevent it from cooling down. (not likely)

Even if you could prevent it from cooling, you still need to let some of it cool to make wrought iron and then re-liquify it in a forge in order to make steel.

It depends on your approach, for someone like me who waste tons of torches to lit big deep caves forge is required to quick create torches from sticks also it save some time because of its speed to cook items

Even if you could prevent it from cooling, you still need to let some of it cool to make wrought iron and then re-liquify it in a forge in order to make steel.

forgot about that. Very true. yeah, so forges are required.

This has got some good attention i think, I've edited the main topic to reflect my incorrect assumptions on the differences between forge and bloomery,my hope is that any new people will realize the key differences, and not put their chicken down the bloomery shoot LOL

Chicken are evil, I'd throw them down the bloomery chute any day on principle.

...the live chicken, of course, not the meat :P

Chicken are evil, I'd throw them down the bloomery chute any day on principle.

...the live chicken, of course, not the meat :P

Hey, TFC is a lonely world. What happens with a chicken at the bloomery stays at the bloomery. :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0