Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peffern

The removal of butterfly drinking (and a suggested substitute)

11 posts in this topic

At the moment, the best way to replenish thirst is to stand in a block of water on the ground. However, this makes no sense as Steve is not a butterfly, and therefore does not drink through his feet. Water bottles can be brought into mines etc. to replenish thirst on the go, but bottles are a pain to create as they require glass.

I have two solutions. (and a half)

First the half: remove butterfly drinking. It doesn't make sense.

Now the first real solution: add a flask or canteen of some sort.

A relatively simple crafting recipe is all that I would use, just something easy.Posted Image

My second solution is more of a comment. Until very recently (17th century or so) water was not the preferred drink of most people as it was dirty and unsanitary. Mostly people drank beer or wine because it was easy to make and clean. I presume that fermenting recipes for barrels will be added eventually, and just because, they should help with thirst problems.

Whilst I do agree with this in some respects, I would like to point out that cavemen/stone age people were not farmers, thus did not produce the materials for making beer, mead, wine, so on.

'Butterfly Drinking' as you put it would be the basic absence of a proper crouch in Minecraft or otherwise player model animation for standing by the river/pond and bending over to scoop liquid into your block shaped head. Sure you could suggest that the water for 'drinking' should be two blocks thick, and this does not really change the initial 'not dying of thirst' mechanic whilst obliging this animation limitation.

I do, however, agree that there should be another form of drinking flask that is not made from glass, and the more historical of which would be a simple animal skin/hide bladder which could be easily crafted from the new crafting system being implemented I honestly don't see why bottles aren't removed entirely at this point and replaced with something else, as potions are no longer in the game.

As for brewing forms of grain based alcohol, by the gods yes please. Even if not for the historical fact that it was done because of plague and disease reasons, it should be added for another tech tree to climb in terms of brewing things, and proper bloody wine cellars!

True, true. Maybe just have a hotkey that would drink if you were near water.

EDIT: Is my image not working?

You might be interested in this little addon. Also, Dunk posted in that thread and said that he likes the idea enough to implement it himself (in a later build).

Thank you. I'll be installing that.

Clay flasks and maybe drinking unboiled water has a chance to give you a sickness of some sort for several minutes?

Perhaps the biome you get the water from could have some implications.

For example, if you got water from a block within a swamp biome... yuck :wacko:

While waterbmay not have been the drink of choice before the 17th century, wasn't it still required in the brewing of beer?

That said, getting "beaver fever" from drinking water directly from a pond or stream would be a great feature. The sickness would result in slower than normal health regeneration and would decrease the effectiveness of food.

this would require sterilization of water via boiling, which could then he put in the liquid container for consumption ("water sac" mod).

Just an idea. Besides you don't start the game with beer or wine and brewing would take (i would think) quite a while taking into consideration you would still need to acquire/grow the proper ingredients. No?

You could just increase the number of water a water bottle can have , instead of creating two different items.

You could just increase the number of water a water bottle can have , instead of creating two different items.

But glass is a pain in many places to make.

It looks like glass will be easier/quicker than leather in 76.

Well then make it in only one place!

Oooooohhh.. haaaay...

I happen to agree with you that it is a little out of place but only in the beginning of the game. Containers should be a tiered thing in my humble opinion.

I am very excited about the barrels though. It is amazing how little things like golden rod (which I hope we will he able to seed and grow) and barrels can aesthetically change the game so much.

I wondered all up in my tiny man brain today how cool a game would be if the procedurally generated terrain was affected by rainfall (ie: rainfall accumulation, mudslides, watertables, shifting terrain, etc...). It would make findingbthe ideal settlement location that much more important.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0