Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Peffern

Food Spoilage - A Comprehensive Summary

13 posts in this topic

Yes, I know. There have been many threads on this topic. One and a half years ago, which I consider to be my heyday on these forums, it was a huge topic. Instead of necro-ing those, I'll make this one. I think that

A: People have forgotten about this.

B: Barrels bring it all together.

So here goes:

Part 1: Decay

Food should, over time, if left alone, spoil/rot/decay/whatever using a system similar to heating. I'm thinking something along these lines:

Fresh**-Fresh*-Fresh-Old**-Old*-Old-Spoiled**-Spoiled*-Spoiled-Compost.

Fresh food is the food we know and love today.

Stale food doesn't heal as much hunger, decreasing further with the *s.

Old food(tell me if you have a better name)heals you initially, then gives you the hunger or poison debuff (similarly to vanilla rotten flesh).

Spoiled food is inedible.

Compost has some use in fertilizer. (For now I'm going to suggest replenishing nutrient groups)

The food should decay at some speed if in player's inventory and at a higher speed (double, but up to triple depending on humidity and airtightness) in chests, and at a very high speed if in a water barrel (for making lots of compost).

Part 2: Methods of Prevention

There should be an icebox, perhaps a multiblock structure created using snow or ice blocks, that like the bloomery, once created allows access to a GUI. This would allow you, the player, to store food in it with a severely slowed decay rate. Also, maybe this could be used to make cheese from milk (at least part of the cheesemaking process).

Also, food can be placed in a barrel of salt water. While in the barrel, it does not decay (or decays very slowly). When it is finished pickling/curing, the barrel no longer prevents decay, however the cured/pickled food decays very slowly on its own.

This makes the order of decay speed as follows:

Pickled vegetables - Cured meats - All cereal products(crop, grain, flour, dough, bread) - vegetable ingredients - cooked meat/eggs/fish - raw meat/eggs/fish - meals

The order of decay speed for placement is:

Salt water barrel (temporary, only for somethings) - icebox - player's inventory - dry, enclosed chest (cellar) - dry, exposed chest - humid enclosed chest - humid exposed chest - water barrel

Humidity would be calculated based on, well, I think it's already part of the weather code.

Airtightness would be calculated based on whether, from the chest, a path X blocks can be found that reaches open air

If anyone has anything to add on this topic, tell me, and I'll edit the OP

-snip-

Fresh-Fresh*-Fresh**-Stale-Stale*-Stale**-Old-Old*-Old**-Spoiled-Spoiled*-Spoiled**-Compost.

-snip-

Should be:

Fresh** | Fresh* | Fresh | Stale ** | Stale * | Stale | **Old | *Old | Old | **Spoilt | *Spoilt | Spoilt | **Rotten | *Rotten | Rotten | Compost

Yea Ok, that works for me. Just wondering, is spoilt or spoiled correct, I've seen both.

Yea Ok, that works for me. Just wondering, is spoilt or spoiled correct, I've seen both.

There used to be rules on the usage of these words but they are apparently now officially obsolete and you can use any one of those two, it mainly is dependant on whether it sounds right to you.

Yes, I know. There have been many threads on this topic.

Stopped reading there.

Thread revival isn't a necro if you're adding useful content

Stopped reading there.

Thread revival isn't a necro if you're adding useful content

It's a discussion thread on a topic that has sort of faded away.

It's a discussion thread on a topic that has sort of faded away.

I fail to see the relevance there

Chunk of meat turning into compost in your pocket. Think about that for a second.

Chunk of meat turning into compost in your pocket. Think about that for a second.

Have you ever kept a sandwich in a backpack for a month?

Have you ever kept a sandwich in a backpack for a month?

I am aware of the thing that happens. I was just asking to think about it.

I am aware of the thing that happens. I was just asking to think about it.

Why?

Comprehend the grose felling of you're pocket being one with the chunk of meat that is turning in the same thing that adds nutrients to the ground and is from an biological nature...................etc. pigs , cows , plants , humans , zombies , sheep , fish , birds , blood sucking bats , and other

nasty/cute creatures ..........think about it a little more , i will not explain this further!

-Sincerely Krski

Should be:

Fresh** | Fresh* | Fresh | Stale ** | Stale * | Stale | **Old | *Old | Old | **Spoilt | *Spoilt | Spoilt | **Rotten | *Rotten | Rotten | Compost

Should be :

Fresh** | Fresh* | Fresh | Stale | Stale * | Stale ** | Old | Old * | Old ** | Spoilt | Spoilt * | Spoilt ** | Rotten | Rotten * | Rotten ** | Compost

instead

I do agree with this idea,because in real life,we can't eat 3 month old steak (or it's extremely inadvisable if you don't wanna die during the night) so that would be a lot realistic