Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Eleazzar

Additional plant Graphics

20 posts in this topic

I've created some 16x16 plant icons for another project that might go well with TFC. Most notably there is a realistic 6-stage cotton plant. There's also 4 real & (i believe) recognizable flowers, and a poison-ivy that tiles like vanilla vines, and a mushroom and a dead stick. Feel free to use what you want.

I, the author, give permission for use of these plant graphics, including derivitive art forTerraFirmaCraft (any version), with this attribution:

J. W. Bjerk

EDIT:

Various graphics from multiple posts combined into one zip attached here.

eleazzaar-plant-graphics.zip

Nice textures. If we can find a use for them we will. I can't guarantee we'll use anything, but I can give you some pointers as to what sort of plants we're looking for.

We'd like more textures for plants that are more region-specific, to give more variety and uniqueness to different locations. I don't know off-hand what we already have textures for, but if you could come up with plants that would look good in a swamp (ie cat-tails, reeds (not sugar-cane), etc) that would be great. I think flowers are a good idea as well, so that might be something to look into. Jungles could probably use some work too, they're not exactly high in biodiversity as they are currently.

You seem to know what you're doing so surprise us :)

Nice textures. If we can find a use for them we will. I can't guarantee we'll use anything, but I can give you some pointers as to what sort of plants we're looking for.

We'd like more textures for plants that are more region-specific...

Thanks. I did notice the variety of plants didn't cover the biomes very evenly. I may give it a try if my initial burst of enthusiasm lasts. I love the survival empahsis, landslides, the biomes and authenticity, but my patience may not survive the huge number of clicks it takes to get some things done.

cotton would be awesome!

we could use this to produce cloth aswell =)

I can guess you copyrighted these because otherwise you would not state that they are allowed to be publicly used in TFC.

Therefore: as a note to the rest of the forum: don't re upload or use these graphics in any public fashion.

OK, it looks like i did some water lilies, in 16x16 & 32x32. Under the same terms as the OP.

The victoria water lily is the one that famously can support the weight of a small person. This is a amazonian plant. I've included it's flower to be pasted on the top of a block as the vanilla lilypad is. I'd recommend these retain the vanilla (you can walk on it) mechanic. This will make walkable lily pads a rarer treasures to be gained from exploration.

I've also included a generic smaller lily pad. I'd recommend these be used in non-tropical biomes, EDIT: these could be used in any temperate or warmer biome, especially swamps-- No reason not to use both in tropics to increase bio-diversity.

For mechanics i'd recommend that they cannot be stood on, nor do they obstruct movement.

OK, it looks like i did some water lilies, in 16x16 & 32x32. Under the same terms as the OP.

The victoria water lily is the one that famously can support the weight of a small person. This is a amazonian plant. I've included it's flower to be pasted on the top of a block as the vanilla lilypad is. I'd recommend these retain the vanilla (you can walk on it) mechanic. This will make walkable lily pads a rarer treasures to be gained from exploration.

I've also included a generic smaller lily pad. I'd recommend these be used in non-tropical biomes, especially swamps, and that they cannot be stood on, nor do they obstruct movement.

these look great :)

Thanks.

I've done a Rafflesia arnoldii, the world's largest flower. It's rainforest flora. As befits such a monster, this is intended to be a half-block.

Image includes, top, bottom and a half-hight side.

P.S.

...but if you could come up with plants that would look good in a swamp (ie cat-tails, reeds (not sugar-cane), etc) that would be great.

tfcplants already includes cattails with 5 growth stages, and a 3 block tall plant of the reed/cane variety.

I love the addition of different plants. Amorphophallus titanum would be a great addition to that corpse flower. The above ground leaf is very distinct and the flower is massively tall and wide when it's mature. I would also recommend a variety of orchids and other sorts of parasitic plants... i.e. plants that live in the canopy of trees, not necessarily vine-like. A noted addition to a swamp-like ecosystem could be pitcher-plants. To make things fun, I could see the addition of sword palms and brambles causing minimal damage when walking through. Just a thought.

Titan Arum looked pretty cool and was easy to do so it is in.

I also included marsh floaters, a generic assemblage of duckweed and other floating plants that are too small to be differentiated at minecraft's scale. These are characteristic of stagnant water (swamps), or near the shore of slow-moving water.

These and the previous graphics are now all combined in the original post.

Took the time to poke through these.. they look great!

Might wanna talk to you about some other such beauties sometime if you'd care to :)

It should be noted that the Rafflesia flower is known for it's overpowering, sickening stench of rotting flesh. How about giving the player a few seconds of nausea when walking over it? ;)

The fruit trees were bugging me. I've made most of the fruit a bit more distinct and recognizable, and i've made all the flowers more accurate and/or more distinctive. Most of those trees have breeds in a wide variety of colors, so when it was a realistic option, i went with the flower color that was most similar to the fruit color. Also added the banana tree flower which is a pretty weird looking thing.

Note the attached graphic only contains the changed part of vegetation.png

post-2706-0-13898400-1364252779_thumb.pn

I'm not expecting instant action, but i don't know how strongly divided TFC1 is from TFC2. Since this is equally valid for both, should i link/repost in TFC2 forums, or will it get seen by TFC2 devs here?

I'm not expecting instant action, but i don't know how strongly divided TFC1 is from TFC2. Since this is equally valid for both, should i link/repost in TFC2 forums, or will it get seen by TFC2 devs here?

The TFC2 devs are just bioxx and crysyn who I talk to all the time. No need to double post

You know, with the addition of a multitude of plants, and perhaps the implementation of green house effects of glass, one could spend a lot of time trying to collect many specimens of plants, cultivating their own flower gardens, and the like. This would add a huge facet to the game and Botany could be a rewarding visual achievement with the possibilities of hanging gardens, flower gardens, and cultivated walkways and forest glens.

It wouldn't be necessary to add item uses for each plant, but would be a springboard should reason arise to add plant drops and uses in the future, other than seeds for replanting.

Also another reason to explore every world generated!

Great work on the art, Eleazar!

Maybe the Dunk will work some botanical magic in the near future!

You know, with the addition of a multitude of plants, and perhaps the implementation of green house effects of glass, one could spend a lot of time trying to collect many specimens of plants, cultivating their own flower gardens, and the like. This would add a huge facet to the game and Botany could be a rewarding visual achievement with the possibilities of hanging gardens, flower gardens, and cultivated walkways and forest glens.

It wouldn't be necessary to add item uses for each plant, but would be a springboard should reason arise to add plant drops and uses in the future, other than seeds for replanting.

Thanks.

For me, the important part is adding more character an individuality to the biomes. This makes exploration more interesting, the environments more believable, and if you want to you can grab them for "souvenirs" of your travels.

Maybe the Dunk will work some botanical magic in the near future!

How awesome would it be to have a large greenhouse / park in the center of town with all the different plants / flowers?

Wonderful, Wonderful! I keep bugging in the IRC for this and bam, the arts part is already done. dunk you cheeky bastard, doooo eeeeettt. Or... you know, yell at bioxx to do it. (: