Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AlternateLives

Ethics Question

12 posts in this topic

I need to do a quick survey for a class I'm taking, so consider this hypothetical situation:

You are living in an apartment with a roommate. This roommate always has some form of change, and usually drops it in a bowl on the top of their dresser. Over the course of the year, this amount has grown substantially large.

Today, while you can manage to get by, you are a bit short on cash. Your roommate is out, and you remember this bowl of change.

The question: Would you take any money out of this bowl, and most importantly, why?

If you could also tell me your gender (if you're comfortable with it) and approximate age (preteen, teen, 20's, etc.), that would be most appreciative (It's important to the survey).

EDIT: it seems that a few people (I posted this in multiple forums for a distributed population sample) are confused by the question. I'm not really looking for situational responses, but more "inner-core", "moral-compass" type responses. For example I wouldn't "because it's not morally right" or "I would feel bad if I did", etc.

In case you were wondering, I'm trying to compare the results of results of male vs female responses, then compare those against the theories of moral development brought forth by Lawrence Kohlberg and Carol Gilligan to see which more accurately portrays humanity. (fun, right?) The reason I need ages is to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples.

Cheers!

~Alt

By default, i would have no right to take some of the change. Though depending on the relationship with the roommate, it might be fine. I.E. friends often have a relationship where it is understood/stated that borrowing minor things without permission is fine.

Male, 30s.

Male, 26. Would take from the bowl only with permission or if I was in desperate need and could replace it within a week. Even then, I'd text and ask, and I'd feel obligated to not only return the money but also contribute random change from my pockets to the bowl.

male 18: i would only do this if it wa the ONLY remaining option, and i would both ask, announce, and return it at the earliest convenient times (not asking if i already took it cuz i needed it THEN however, i would still return everything and perform a service (like dishes) for a short while depending on the amount taken

edit after top post edit: alright, i wouldnt because its morally bad, unless its NEEDED, screw morals then (you should measure how many of them are willing to surrender their original moral compass, and how easily :P)

I would have to be in a really bad spot to take any of the change, no matter how small the amount. The roommate would have good reason to not trust me if I did, even if it were a small amount. Even if the roommate had previously expressed that it was OK if I ever needed to borrow some of it, I would feel uncomfortable with it and would suspect that the roommate may not fully mean it when they said so. Male, 38.

If the property of another is not:

1. of great necessity to me

-and-

2. impossible to obtain otherwise

I would never steal it. If it has been established beforehand that I can borrow or take his stuff without his explicit immediate permission, then sure.

male, 20's

If the property of another is not:

1. of great necessity to me

-and-

2. impossible to obtain otherwise

I would never steal it. If it has been established beforehand that I can borrow or take his stuff without his explicit immediate permission, then sure.

male, 20's

What a political answer , lol xD

Maybe if i asked ? And could repay him with something when i take it (but it would have to be of the same worth)

-Krski

I wouldn't take it. It seams like he is saving up for something. If he was determined enough to keep doing it after a year than it must be important to him. Male, Teen.

Male, 23. Would not take, unless this kind of situation is discussed earlier with my friend and permission has been gained. And even then I probablly won't take it.

Nope. I can't even lie without revealing it a few moments later. You don't have the right to touch anyone else's stuff. Most importantly, how would YOU like it if they took your money just because it was there? I treat people as I'd like to be treated, and that is theft (yes i'm in law school). Whether is be change, clothes, stack of money, or a bag of diamonds...I morally couldn't do it as I respect people and I expect the same. Just how I was raised.

Female, 30's.

I wouldnt take it, because its theft. I would have to ask one way or the other. In this case the decision is quite easy with your qualifier "you can manage to get by". This, and the fact that its just change implies that we are talking about a small amount of money (laundry loot, or maybe a pack of smokes or something), which means that whatever im going without, is in all likelyhood not very important, so why take it?

Male, 26