Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ECC

Custom Render - Firepit

30 posts in this topic

Firepit

Posted Image

http://imgur.com/A2yO57S | http://puu.sh/2sadA

Edit:

quick explanation: Bottom(flat) will be a round black 'smudge' depicting the ash. The pixelated circle above it is part of that ash pile. it is comprised of 5 side by side blocks. Above it is the logs, they take the texture of the wood actively burning. If no wood is present and the firepit is out, no log renders.

this may not all be entirely feasible(I do know its possible, but feasible is different entirely)

Firepit Model.zip

please do that ^^

yes,we do need a 3D model for firepit,I totally agree with this suggestion

sounds good ^^

and if were going with the 3d thing, why not have the number of logs visible depend on how many you stored?

? that would be.....

awesome, just plain awesome :P

quick explanation: Bottom(flat) will be a round black 'smudge' depicting the ash. The pixelated circle above it is part of that ash pile. it is comprised of 5 side by side blocks. Above it is the logs, they take the texture of the wood actively burning. If no wood is present and the firepit is out, no log renders.

this may not all be entirely feasible(I do know its possible, but feasible is different entirely)

I love it. Can I have a hand at it?

Here's it with no texture

Posted Image

And one with texture (the box at the bottom makes more sense this way)

Posted Image

The glowing coals (bloomery/forge) turn to the dark texture of a cold forge when the firepit isn't burning.

decent, and aside from the really square base, exactly what I have on my workspace(mine has a few more parts, but let me explain)

if you were present in the IRC, a lot of talk between the members went down. Essentially, they wanted the wood to display something similar to it burning away. 4 logs burn to 3, then 2, then 1. Well, after some explaining from span(who is a god with model rendering) I found out that you can toggle parts of a model, something I suspected already. so I did some work and bam, threw what is technically 5 models together in the same block. I'll put it up later, but sleep now, work later.

Edit: I was avoiding using rocks inside the firepit design as they are not present in the 'crafting' of a firepit. I was avoiding any 'lit' textures as well as the fire particles would determine that, NOT the ash texture(to make it easy)

The rocks made sense to me, as not every crafting recipe has all of it's component parts in the recipe.

More ideas is always a great thing and leads to a better end product, if this is indeed going to be a thing.

Also, doesn't the normal firepit have a 'lit' texture?

oi, trying to get to sleep and you respond. you arce! ;p

yeah, firepit texture is permalit currently. but this custom model render is to replace it entirely, and 'vanilla' tfc can be ignored for this matter.

I dont like it when something is displayed that does not exist(in most cases) as it does not make sense to me. Why do rocks appear in a recipe made entirely of sticks?

I'll show my work later, along with some custom textures I was holding off on. for now, sleeeeeep

And one with texture (the box at the bottom makes more sense this way)

Posted Image

The glowing coals (bloomery/forge) turn to the dark texture of a cold forge when the firepit isn't burning.

ECC I really like this model aside from the rock like we discussed but that can be replaced easy the logs do look cool this way the coal burning is a little iffy but technically there would be some burning looking things as well i would imagine

I have something similar. But I didnt want to boot up techne. heh. Rather watch anime. But I suppose I'll boot anyway if anything, just to get it done.

Who says that's rock? Looks like a bed of ashes to me.

-- that's the advantage of 16x16 textures, there's wiggle room to (re)interpret them according to context.

Also i like the burning coals in the middle. That explains why the fire pit is so much easier to relight than light the first time.

Who says that's rock? Looks like a bed of ashes to me.

-- that's the advantage of 16x16 textures, there's wiggle room to (re)interpret them according to context.

Also i like the burning coals in the middle. That explains why the fire pit is so much easier to relight than light the first time.

It's the same texture as a hot forge, I just copied it.

---

I feel like the firepit DOES need to be better represented, but there is definitely a point where it gets too complicated (different type logs on render etc)

But alas, here's the model and texture for anyone to tinker with.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hj8j1hseh03a4fe

It's the same texture as a hot forge, I just copied it.

---

I feel like the firepit DOES need to be better represented, but there is definitely a point where it gets too complicated (different type logs on render etc)

I think we'll do just fine with only one texture for logs, them appearing and disappearing once burnt out being nice enough touch as it is. Adding different textures for each logs combination (how many is that, about 25 thousands of them?) is too much work for too little outcome, if you ask me.

I think we'll do just fine with only one texture for logs, them appearing and disappearing once burnt out being nice enough touch as it is. Adding different textures for each logs combination (how many is that, about 25 thousands of them?) is too much work for too little outcome, if you ask me.

Yeah, exactly. We could get extremely fancy with all of this but after all, it's just a firepit.

Yeah, exactly. We could get extremely fancy with all of this but after all, it's just a firepit.

The IRC chat went like this...

me: What about texturing for all the combinations? I know how to do it easily not difficult at all.

ecc: but the backup logs aren't burning the only texture that should show is the currently burning log.

me: oh ya that makes sense

so pretty much all the textures for logs but could change depending on whats burning and i know how to do that without making it as hard as it sounds.

This is all my own opinion and should be treated as such:

I know it's possible and not even that hard, (I could whip something like that up in a few hours in my eclipse environment) but it's the point of it; no other thing in the game has as much variation or detail to make TFC 'firepit simulator 2013'. It's a great idea for its own mod, but to me it feels way too complex.

A 3D model would be GREAT, and a welcome addition to make the game feel more alive. A 3D model that has variant wood textures and 0-4 log rendering depending on what log type is in what slot is just too much. Not coding wise, but feature bloat wise.

You would have to keep the continuity throughout the entire mod for it to make sense or it would stick out too much. Logpiles can hold 4 different types of logs at once but always render as the same texture no matter what is in the first slot, for instance.

You would have to keep the continuity throughout the entire mod for it to make sense or it would stick out too much. Logpiles can hold 4 different types of logs at once but always render as the same texture no matter what is in the first slot, for instance.

This is a beta-- a work in progress. Higher levels of detail can't be implemented in every facet of the game at once. If you applied that continuity rule, most of the features of TFC would never have been added.

This is a beta-- a work in progress. Higher levels of detail can't be implemented in every facet of the game at once. If you applied that continuity rule, most of the features of TFC would never have been added.

True, I agree. All in my opinion though. I just don't feel like that level of complexity is necessary for a firepit.

So. uh. Huge necro here, but did any progress ever get made on this?

good idea, and I would think it fairly easy especially with all the mods lately using non-standard model rendering, basically what chests are, a block with more of an entity model inside it.

Because firepits play such a pivotal role early game and they are seen so often, I agree that they should be beautified. to be honest, I wouldn't mind firepit crafting being revamped entirely. A rock ring initially served as a safety measure, but maybe adding rocks can be a way to make a firepit permanent. Without a ring, they might de-spawn when they go out (or leave behind ash, which can be useful for soap-making).