Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muldore

Powder keg and fuses

14 posts in this topic

This thread has been moved from TFC 2 discussion as many of the items it pertains to are neither confirmed for TFC 2, nor was the actual topic so much a duscussion as it was a suggestion. The ideas presented in this thread are not all mine, many have been posted by other people.

Effectively, there should be some way to fill a barrel with gunpowder to create a powder keg. This powder keg would count as a large heavy item and you could not carry multiple kegs in the same slot of your inventory.

A powder keg when detonated would not destroy the stone blocks in its blast radius, rather it would convert the stone into cobblestone, cobblestone should be able to be removed with a shovel much more quickly than smoothstone is able to be removed with a pickaxe.

As the powder keg would still deal damage to nearby entitys when it exploded, as well as bring down much of the celing, you would tend to want to detonate it from a distance. The powder keg should be unable to be detonated with redstone, instead, gunpowder could be placed in game to act as a fuse. Water would wash away this fuse much like it washes away redstone, and an entity walking on the fuse would break it and drop it as an item again. A fuse would be lit with flint and steel and burn up with a yellow-white redstone like spark animation on the part that is lit. A fuse would have a small 1% chance not to ignite nearby fuse trails and burn out. There would also be a 2% chance per fuse block that instead of igniteing nearby fuse trails it would cause them to smolder, or not emit the particle effect. Smoldering fuses would have a 50/50 chance to either burn out, or reignite.

There would be a few means to deal with this, you could stamp out the fuses in question and reset the trail, or you could wait a set time and check to see if they re-ignited. Fuses have a fast burn time, and would ignite wooden objects within a 3x3x3 cube centered arround the fuse.

New cobblestone change info:

Cobblestone should be mined out with a shovel rather than a pick, and at a significantly faster speed than breaking rock. Cobblestone would continue to be effected by gravity, and would continue to drop 4 rocks when broken.

I agree with all of this exept that cobble be mined with a shovel,but maybee keg could destroy it,so you'll need 2 bombs to mine instead of one

about placable gun powder,it's an exelent idea

and about the keg itself,it would be possible to transform a barrel into kog by putting some gunpowwder in it

I agree with all of this exept that cobble be mined with a shovel,but maybee keg could destroy it,so you'll need 2 bombs to mine instead of one

about placable gun powder,it's an exelent idea

and about the keg itself,it would be possible to transform a barrel into kog by putting some gunpowwder in it

Cobblestone is a pile of rocks, it should be able to be mined with a shovel. A blast shouldn't simply delete blocks, it should instead make the blocks easyer to mine.

Yes, gunpowder in a barrel would be the means of creating a powder keg.

Placeable gunpowder would require a bit of fine tuning, and a bunch of code editing/bugfixes, but using it as a fuse instead of redstone is still a good idea.

I'm hoping explosives get added back in, because I miss the TNT Quarries you used to be able to do back before the new Sand types were added.

I'm hoping explosives get added back in, because I miss the TNT Quarries you used to be able to do back before the new Sand types were added.

Explosives would be quite different if this system is implemented as rather than blast a hole in the ground the blast would weaken the stone... Also, the blast should effect a somewhat larger radius than tnt would (perhaps about 1.3x.) However, you would need much more gunpowder for a powder keg, about 15 gunpowder should do it. Perhaps to accomplish this the barrel interface would need to be modified to accept bits of gunpowder in place of water, but gunpowder would fill up less of the barrel than a bucket of water (the gunpowder item in the game as I understand it is, after all, a handfull of gunpowder, and not a bucket of it.)

Explosives would be quite different if this system is implemented as rather than blast a hole in the ground the blast would weaken the stone... Also, the blast should effect a somewhat larger radius than tnt would (perhaps about 1.3x.) However, you would need much more gunpowder for a powder keg, about 15 gunpowder should do it. Perhaps to accomplish this the barrel interface would need to be modified to accept bits of gunpowder in place of water, but gunpowder would fill up less of the barrel than a bucket of water (the gunpowder item in the game as I understand it is, after all, a handfull of gunpowder, and not a bucket of it.)

I would settle for BTW-style mining charges, made from sawdust (or the new Sand) and gunpowder in a paper tube. Sixteen of those would result in a Blasting Charge, aka vanilla's TNT.

I would settle for BTW-style mining charges, made from sawdust (or the new Sand) and gunpowder in a paper tube. Sixteen of those would result in a Blasting Charge, aka vanilla's TNT.

Firstly the mining charges crafted that way would result in... wait for it... not one, not two, but three, yes three blocks with two of them having no specific purpose other than in crafting charges, and one being the charges themselves.

Mind you, my idea would result in the re-writing of some of the properties of cobblestone blocks (namely what tool you break them with and the time it takes to break them), the creation of placeable gunpowder, (most of the code aside from burning and a few particle effects exists within the code for vanila redstone), and a rewrite of how barrels work (don't ask, I have no idea how much work this would take).

The diference being not that my idea would be easyer to implement than yours, and your idea is infact a seperate idea, but that many of the items I suggested implementing could have multiple uses, for example, perhaps instead of the blast radius of a barrel being a constant range, when the powder keg, or barrel detected a lit fuse next to it, it would check to see how much gunpowder it had inside of it. If this gunpowder value was below a set amount, it would not explode at all, after that the blast radius would be determined on the amount of gunpowder in the keg/barrel. This would allow a player to determine a charge, up to a set amount, each barrel would have without needing to add in 15 explosive blocks into the game.

Firstly the mining charges crafted that way would result in... wait for it... not one, not two, but three, yes three blocks with two of them having no specific purpose other than in crafting charges, and one being the charges themselves.

Mind you, my idea would result in the re-writing of some of the properties of cobblestone blocks (namely what tool you break them with and the time it takes to break them), the creation of placeable gunpowder, (most of the code aside from burning and a few particle effects exists within the code for vanila redstone), and a rewrite of how barrels work (don't ask, I have no idea how much work this would take).

The diference being not that my idea would be easyer to implement than yours, and your idea is infact a seperate idea, but that many of the items I suggested implementing could have multiple uses, for example, perhaps instead of the blast radius of a barrel being a constant range, when the powder keg, or barrel detected a lit fuse next to it, it would check to see how much gunpowder it had inside of it. If this gunpowder value was below a set amount, it would not explode at all, after that the blast radius would be determined on the amount of gunpowder in the keg/barrel. This would allow a player to determine a charge, up to a set amount, each barrel would have without needing to add in 15 explosive blocks into the game.

I imagine you could use single mining charges like grenades-light it, then throw it like a javelin.

Sand would work fine; I stated sawdust since that's what's used IRL.

I'd like to see charges doing more damage if it's embedded in the stone. That'd be nice actually.

I am for the castle wall breaking explosives , how about this multiple kegs fired when the cobble stone gets weakend chip it of a bit by bit when a new explosion happens , like the detail mode of the chisel .

Ofc it would be more easy to mine ..........

I am for the castle wall breaking explosives , how about this multiple kegs fired when the cobble stone gets weakend chip it of a bit by bit when a new explosion happens , like the detail mode of the chisel .

Ofc it would be more easy to mine ..........

Perhaps instead of this, as this idea would likely destroy my computer, perhaps a detonation could further weaken the block, for example, stone would become cobblestone, that would become gravel, that would become sand...

Aside from blasting it into atoms, sand is about as small a particle you can blast something in minecraft... Yhis would also add further uses to explosives. Sand shouldn't be that rare, turning your useless stone into sand with a bit of effort, and a slight chance of getting blown up, would be a nice little use for all your extra cobblestone. Mind you, you would still need to further process sand into glass (perhaps a mold would be needed to keep the molten glass from going into your firepit/forge). Gravel would be easyer to dig out than cobblestone, and sand would be easyer still, but with each transition there would be less of an increace in mining speed as you are still breaking the same mass down.

However, this mechanic would lead to more early game choices (I have one pickaxe and one shovel, and a bit of gunpowder, do I want to go looking for more gunpowder in order to further weaken the rubble so I use less of my tool, or do I want to just detonate one charge and use the stone to build that road over to my brothers house).

Have any of you actually TRIED anything with barrels? From the very first release of 76, barrels accepted gunpowder, needing 64 to be completely full. I did this because when I first showed barrels, powder kegs were suggested *explosively* >_>

By which I mean I got a ton of requests for it. The powder keg was something I intended to implement since the very conception of the barrel back in october or so, and so as a teaser, I slipped in some code for them to accept gunpowder before I had the time to fully implement it. This means that gunpowder in a barrel is currently useless, and cannot be retrieved, only emptied from the barrel and lost forever.

The barrel will changed in the future, because 64 isn't a high enough number. I only had it because that was the maximum capacity of the barrel at the time I implemented the teaser. Because the powder keg has been planned for so long, I've already outlined how it will operate. This means I am confirming that it will exist, but it is not the powder keg you have suggested in this thread or any other.

Also, cobble will always be harvestable by the pickaxe, not the shovel. Have you ever shoveled large rocks? I'm not talking pebbles here, I'm talking small boulers (which is what cobble is made of). The leverage required to move large rocks is too great, and so a shovel isn't a good tool to move it with IRL or in-game (because cobble has always been a pickaxe block)

Have any of you actually TRIED anything with barrels? From the very first release of 76, barrels accepted gunpowder, needing 64 to be completely full. I did this because when I first showed barrels, powder kegs were suggested *explosively* >_>

By which I mean I got a ton of requests for it. The powder keg was something I intended to implement since the very conception of the barrel back in october or so, and so as a teaser, I slipped in some code for them to accept gunpowder before I had the time to fully implement it. This means that gunpowder in a barrel is currently useless, and cannot be retrieved, only emptied from the barrel and lost forever.

The barrel will changed in the future, because 64 isn't a high enough number. I only had it because that was the maximum capacity of the barrel at the time I implemented the teaser. Because the powder keg has been planned for so long, I've already outlined how it will operate. This means I am confirming that it will exist, but it is not the powder keg you have suggested in this thread or any other.

Also, cobble will always be harvestable by the pickaxe, not the shovel. Have you ever shoveled large rocks? I'm not talking pebbles here, I'm talking small boulers (which is what cobble is made of). The leverage required to move large rocks is too great, and so a shovel isn't a good tool to move it with IRL or in-game (because cobble has always been a pickaxe block)

Nice! It'll be good to be able to blow stuff up again, as well as have a use for gunpowder aside from chest space consumption.

Will anything like my fuse idea be added for simi-long distance ignition, or will the kegs accept redstone input like regular vanila tnt?

Nice! It'll be good to be able to blow stuff up again, as well as have a use for gunpowder aside from chest space consumption.

Will anything like my fuse idea be added for simi-long distance ignition, or will the kegs accept redstone input like regular vanila tnt?

There will be a fuse of sorts

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0