Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turtletechy

Starting Shelters?

16 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering what you all do. What I used to do before cobblestone became four times as expensive was that I would collect about 80 stones, and a good amount of planks, and build a simple structure, using the planks for the door, the windows, and the roof support. The whole structure was made almost completely of the stone. Now though, with the new update, I dig a hole in the ground, but support the roof in the same way. It just doesn't look quite as pretty.

I'm just wondering what you all do. What I used to do before cobblestone became four times as expensive was that I would collect about 80 stones, and a good amount of planks, and build a simple structure, using the planks for the door, the windows, and the roof support. The whole structure was made almost completely of the stone. Now though, with the new update, I dig a hole in the ground, but support the roof in the same way. It just doesn't look quite as pretty.

I usually dig into the earth and make a hobbit hole, supporting it with planks or better yet peat. Works pretty well.

Find a hill, dig slightly into hill, place some logs, place a door, with some cobblestone if I need to fill out the space. Usually 2x2.

"In a hole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: It was a Hobbit-Hole, and that means comfort."

"Unfortunately, next door lived a Terrafirmacrafter, and the poor bastard had a bare stone floor, dirt walls, and a roof made of logs. The hobbits deemed it politic not to mention it."

The first thing I do is deforest an area about 100 blocks in all directions, harvesting rocks along the way. Next, I usually build a 5x5x3 structure (leaving 9 blocks to live in) out of wood blocks, putting cobble pillars on the corners (to conserve wood for later, as it's pretty important early game). I then just drop a door in and I'm usually safe from the creatures of the night.

Afterwards, I'll build a framework of planks and place cobble for my roof. The end result looks pretty nice, actually.

With my last one, I decided to make it a little bigger and fancier. Here is the result:

Posted Image

I never build a starting shelter. I just build a bed and sleep nights away until I find where I want to set up permanently.

Sometimes that can take a while tho.

I'm with Caveman on this one. The first thing that I do is grab a handful of sticks and stones, make a knife and axe, and hunt sheep. After I've gotten 3 wool, I cut down a tree, make planks, make a bed, kill a cow, make a fire pit, cook, eat, sleep, then start day 2. A shelter will usually come later when I find ore.

Yeah, unfortunately the new(ish) vanilla bed mechanic makes shelters nearly superfluous -- as long as you go to bed before monsters come out.

I chop down the nearest forest, find a nice hill, build a wooden wall with overhang around it and put up a campfire. Get a bed going too, if there are sheep nearby.

I chop down the nearest forest, find a nice hill, build a wooden wall with overhang around it and put up a campfire. Get a bed going too, if there are sheep nearby.

Harder to make beds now. Can't make spindles. :(

Well, one, that house above seems a little complex to make on the first day. I never can collect that much on the first day. And beds are a bit slower to make now, with the new mechanic for it.

Harder to make beds now. Can't make spindles. :(

Not as much. Just have to look carefully at what kind of clay you're collecting.

I usually dig out a hill side and use shift+click with a tree trunk in hand to make the walls and ceiling, that way I won't lose my axe's durability and won't take forever to take those trunks out if I have to move.

Not as much. Just have to look carefully at what kind of clay you're collecting.

As it turns Bioxx and Dunk are as awesome as advertised and fixed the issue. :)

I build the start of a charcoal pit. I can fit absolutely everything I need in the 3x3 area.  I store wood in the walls of my shelter as I progress and then I build my house once I get my first saw.

Then you can light a match and walk away from your (now empty) shelter hollywood-badass style. It's pretty awesome and you get charcoal ;-)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0