Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UnrealKaumo

Wool Clothes! / discussion about warmth.

19 posts in this topic

Maybe adding wool clothes for warmth.

These clothes would have pretty poor armor protection value but quite valuable for maintaining body temperature.

During summer months though, it would be impossible to always have full cloth on as you would overheat, Spring and fall would be fine and keep you perfectly stable in full cloth. and winter you need full cloth or you will drop below the freezing value and die instantly. Hopefully getting close to this freezing point gives slowness and such, so you can notice you are about to freeze and can set up a campfire and rest.

Also this is just a possibility, arrows shot from skeletons should be quite damaging, maybe inflict double the damage currently, then reduced to the default damage with full cloth armor. or maybe a little less than default. Then with metal armor arrow damage would be significantly reduced, like a huge very noticeable difference, with full metal armor allowing around 1/4 default damage. I love the realism of the fur/cloth armor protecting decent against zombies and melee, but being quite useless against arrows.

I also love this application in PvP settings. Arrows would be deadly, and after reading the suggestion for the revamp of the bow, damn. Thats all i can say.

Well, body temperature was just introduced two days ago with Build 76. It doesn't do anything yet, but it wouldn't be too farfetched to imagine something to do with clothing :P

I just feel the leather armor should be quite strong, and should be used mainly for combat, not for day to day terrafirmacraft living. Which is what i really love.

These are all definitely just ideas though! I love where the mod has gone and I have faith that it will stay very true to the real survival experience.

During summer months though, it would be impossible to always have full cloth on as you would overheat,

The people of hot deserts tend to be fully dressed. Loose clothing serves the purpose of keeping the sun off.

I think it makes more gameplay sense (and is more plausible) if there is different special clothing for extremely hot and extremely cold weather. Thus you need more preparation to travel beyond the temperate latitudes, but can survive fine, at least part of the year without special clothes in the temperate spawning zone.

I really like the idea, and there could be more. The objects and player models can be modified, maybe add pointy hats, straw hats, longer torso pieces of clothing. Also add other materials like silk obtained with silk moths, cotton. My main wish is to change the player model, I don't like it that much, it could be more customizable, less squarish (with voxels of course, but a little bit like cube world)... but, so far, I haven't seen anyone with this same idea.

Maybe even add hemp to the game? It'd make for easy cloth, cheap and available, not to mention, rope. It can be made light enough for use in hot climes. And perhaps in colder climes, have it so that you would use wool clothing, covered with leather or hide, so that you would stay warm and avoid water from cooling you down further. That, and it would help keep heat in.

And if I remember, there were already plans to add it, likely for rope and other durable purposes.

love the idea of cloth for diferent climates :D it would be awsome to go to diferent parts of a server and see diferent clothes being more prevelent such as more straw hats in the tropics and solid woolen clothes in the near arctic

I like the idea because wool is easy to get - and while terrible as protection against bears good for protection against cold AND wet.

(Oh..straw hats...grass weaving?)

I like the idea because wool is easy to get - and while terrible as protection against bears good for protection against cold AND wet.

(Oh..straw hats...grass weaving?)

Actually, wool is not good against wet conditions, it is pretty much the worst for the fact that it dries out very slowly. However, if using leather or hide, you could use these to add waterproofing to the wool, which would be useful.

Actually, wool is not good against wet conditions, it is pretty much the worst for the fact that it dries out very slowly. However, if using leather or hide, you could use these to add waterproofing to the wool, which would be useful.

Having worn both a wool cloak, and a wool jacket in the rain, I can confidently tell you that you don't know what you're talking about. Wool stretches when wet, but it doesn't lose it's insulating abilities like cotton does. There's a reason sheep were popular in Ireland.

In my survival DVD they suggest 3 layers. The top was water proof, and therefore also good against wind, the second was wool, which when even soaked with water can keep 80% of your body heat in, and the layer touching your skin was cotton, which absorbs you sweat and, in theory, as long as you had more cotton shirts to replace at the end of the day, allows you to stay dry. Of course all those items had to be kept clean and repaired.

I've always thought about somehow, combing your armor in TFC.

To be able to wear a woolen hood with a strong metal helmet over it would be amazing to provide both warmth and defense.

But this is where I think we get to a completely unrealistic place. A normal human cant wear 3 layers on their head and full body and also armor on top. That's just, in my personal opinion, ridiculous. Combat would be nearly impossible as you would unlikely even be able to bend your arms.

I love the realism of all of this stuff coming together, but I also love the idea of the complexity in simplicity, and also actually having this in the mod sometime this year.

This is where i'd like to re-propose my original submission but with a bit of a twist.

Wool clothes are still absolutely necessary in winter for warmth but maybe the armor combination thing could be used. Armor could be double layered, allowing for a maximum of 8 armor pieces.

Now I do not at all want to scrap what callisto or turtletechy said with having many different armor types, but I dont see a need for having 3 layers for all armor types. For example, Having leather and woolen head armor would be very good for decent protection, but would also repel water and keep in your heat. Maybe even the same setup on the chest. Now, when you have all this stuff on, I cant see a reason to need more leather (Water protection) on the legs because, as previously mentioned, wool fares well even when wet. So this could allow for some strong metal leggings combined with wool. Now your character is resilient against coldness, rain, and still maintains decent protection rating and maneuverability.

Now, should they add, 7000 different armors into the game? No. When i think about this all I imagine is 2x the armor slots in the inventory screen. 2 helmet slots side by side, two chest spots side by side.

This would be so cool because, if in a safe area, You could essentially just go farming wearing a nice hat to avoid over heating and a light shirt and pants. Along with some leather shoes or something.

Last but not least, The only precaution I can see that would need to added is an exception that metal armors could not be overlapped with other metal armor. No copper helmet with a bismuth helmet on top of it.

Damn that was a lot of writing, I hope i remembered to write everything I had in my head.

I'd like to add one more thing.

Leather.

Leather items should be sort of a cross between clothes and armor. They're not as bulky as metal armor but still provide some outerwear and defense. Also, in the case of bronze armor, people actually lined it with leather because it was useless otherwise.

What about flaming arows ? I mean if we could produce oil and wool and stick it on an arow use it on a camp fire , we could have fire arows!

How would we get oil?

Olives?

Fish?

Frostfall - Hypothermia camping survival mod on skyrim was a good example of temperature affecting survivalism. It pretty much gets on with tfc system, we just need more clothes obviously. But I think that clothing having same models as armor is not good, they should fit more the skin. The leather coat for example is too big!

I've always thought about somehow, combing your armor in TFC.

To be able to wear a woolen hood with a strong metal helmet over it would be amazing to provide both warmth and defense.

But this is where I think we get to a completely unrealistic place. A normal human cant wear 3 layers on their head and full body and also armor on top. That's just, in my personal opinion, ridiculous. Combat would be nearly impossible as you would unlikely even be able to bend your arms.

I love the realism of all of this stuff coming together, but I also love the idea of the complexity in simplicity, and also actually having this in the mod sometime this year.

This is where i'd like to re-propose my original submission but with a bit of a twist.

Wool clothes are still absolutely necessary in winter for warmth but maybe the armor combination thing could be used. Armor could be double layered, allowing for a maximum of 8 armor pieces.

Now I do not at all want to scrap what callisto or turtletechy said with having many different armor types, but I dont see a need for having 3 layers for all armor types. For example, Having leather and woolen head armor would be very good for decent protection, but would also repel water and keep in your heat. Maybe even the same setup on the chest. Now, when you have all this stuff on, I cant see a reason to need more leather (Water protection) on the legs because, as previously mentioned, wool fares well even when wet. So this could allow for some strong metal leggings combined with wool. Now your character is resilient against coldness, rain, and still maintains decent protection rating and maneuverability.

Now, should they add, 7000 different armors into the game? No. When i think about this all I imagine is 2x the armor slots in the inventory screen. 2 helmet slots side by side, two chest spots side by side.

This would be so cool because, if in a safe area, You could essentially just go farming wearing a nice hat to avoid over heating and a light shirt and pants. Along with some leather shoes or something.

Last but not least, The only precaution I can see that would need to added is an exception that metal armors could not be overlapped with other metal armor. No copper helmet with a bismuth helmet on top of it.

Damn that was a lot of writing, I hope i remembered to write everything I had in my head.

Wool doesn't fare well when wet, it holds water. Leather repels water. That's the point of leather. My idea wasn't several different types of armor, I was thinking more of clothing, being separate from armor, with clothing being coats, warm pants, boots, etc. If possible, it might be best if lighter clothing, such as warm wool clothing, could go under armor in a separate slot.

I've actually discussed this with dunk on Skype. I forget if I was recording or not.

Feature is confirmed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0