Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
spAnser

Log Gathering / Processing

29 posts in this topic

First Idea is aesthetics.

post-1-0-47497600-1365430583_thumb.jpg

Trees leave behind stumps which then have to be dug up before being able to plant a tree there again. Someone in the post mentioned really long decay timer on some stumps which sounded like a good idea as well.

( I used the wood planks because I couldn't chisel logs down to slabs )

Second Idea

post-1-0-40403500-1365430569_thumb.jpg

Having a chopping block for early game wood processing. A single swing is enough to yield your 3 planks. This idea ties in with the tree stump idea in that a tree stump can be used for wood chopping if there is no tree stump idea there would have the be an item / crafting recipe to create a wood chopping station.

This would not take as long to get wood later on in game because saws would continue to work in a crafting table because where else would you saw wood.

Reasoning:

using axe on wood << See all the logs getting chopped on tree stumps

using saw on wood << See all the wood getting cut on a work bench

Quick Mod Emris_Morath put together to demonstrate it. The chopping station is a temporary design, the mod is to demonstrate the feel of chopping wood instead of crafting it. I got through 32 Logs in 40 seconds.

OK, i just couldn't help myself.

Here is a very basic mod version where you can chop wood with an axe and get 3 planks.

The axe will not get damage at the moment. There is a small bug that i still have to locate, but i'm too tired right now...need sleep....i will try to find it in the next few days.

This is how the chopping station has to be made

Posted Image

This is where you can place the block for chopping

Posted Image

And this is how it looks like when your almost finished :)

Posted Image

Download => 1.5.1_ChopALog_0.2.b76.zip

edit: If you are not getting 3 planks, re-download the mod. It's fixed now :)

edid2: Punching with bare hand caused a crash. Fixed now.

I like the idea.

What would be the recipe of the chopping station, and how would it look like?

I could make a mod so we can test the playability of this idea.

I like the idea.

What would be the recipe of the chopping station, and how would it look like?

I could make a mod so we can test the playability of this idea.

If trees left behind stumps then that would be the chopping station but if trees don't do that then idk maybe 2 logs next to each other like making a pressure plate.

I made tried to make a mod once, which when you chopped a log, you received two Half Logs. These were blocks, which were literally half a log. You would then place these half logs down and you had to chop these in half to make Quarter Logs, which were also blocks. These quarter logs are placed down and chopped to make planks, similar items to the planks in this mod. Maybe something like this could be added? This would mean harder work to process the logs, but maybe with a saw or something this process could be simplified or quicker.

I do like the tree stump idea :). Maybe that block would be harder/impossible to chop, so you'd have to start on the block above?

EDIT:

Here's an image of what I mean...

Posted Image

I made tried to make a mod once, which when you chopped a log, you received two Half Logs. These were blocks, which were literally half a log. You would then place these half logs down and you had to chop these in half to make Quarter Logs, which were also blocks. These quarter logs are placed down and chopped to make planks, similar items to the planks in this mod. Maybe something like this could be added? This would mean harder work to process the logs, but maybe with a saw or something this process could be simplified or quicker.

I do like the tree stump idea :). Maybe that block would be harder/impossible to chop, so you'd have to start on the block above?

Having to place down the same block three times to get planks seems like over-kill, where even placing one at time once would increases the time it takes to convert logs to planks.

I like the idea of stumps. One of the most brilliant parts of Thaumcraft is that your challenges are largely the result of your advancement. Chopped trees leaving hard-to-remove stumps is both authentic and creates a problem the player needs to deal with. This would push the player into a nomadic life, or at least to range far for materials, or to work harder to maintain a certain spot. This meshes well with the real stone age.

I'd suggest further:

• that saplings shouldn't be able to be planted touching a log
  • at least some types of trees have a chance to regrow from stumps (some types of trees will regrow from stumps almost certainly)
  • stumps have a very low chance of rotting away (dissapearing)
  • metal tools can remove stumps
  • stone tools can't remove stumps unless the dirt/whatever blocks below and around are removed. (This would require some new limits on valid sapling placement to prevent easily grubbed stumps with no dirt below and around, except the block it was planted on.)

I don't understand your idea of chopping blocks.

If you are suggesting that the wood be "physically" placed on a chopping block in the world, and then hit with an axe, i see two problems:

• If stumps are half-blocks, then chopping blocks should be half-blocks. When you put a full block on a half-block it floats .5 meters above it.
  • Mindless, repetitive clicks-- lots of them

If you are suggesting that the wood be "physically" placed on a chopping block in the world, and then hit with an axe, i see two problems:

• If stumps are half-blocks, then chopping blocks should be half-blocks. When you put a full block on a half-block it floats .5 meters above it.
  • Mindless, repetitive clicks-- lots of them

if rendered properly they wont be floating .5 meters above it and I have never chopped wood myself but I bet it is mindless repetitive chopping, the point is once you can make a saw you wont need to chop logs anymore only initially. Making torches is mindless repetitive clicking

if rendered properly they wont be floating .5 meters above it and I have never chopped wood myself but I bet it is mindless repetitive chopping, the point is once you can make a saw you wont need to chop logs anymore only initially.

Chopping wood is definitely a repetitive task. But most activities are much quicker, less boring in minecraft. I consider that a good thing, not a problem to be fixed.

EDIT: why do you think adding more busy-work to plank-making is a good thing? The metal saw is already superior and desirable in that it can do more than a few planks without being used up.

Making torches is mindless repetitive clicking

Yes, that is also.

Chopping wood is definitely a repetitive task. But most activities are much quicker, less boring in minecraft. I consider that a good thing, not a problem to be fixed.

EDIT: why do you think adding more busy-work to plank-making is a good thing? The metal saw is already superior and desirable in that it can do more than a few planks without being used up.

The stone-age in TFC is extremely short. It only sounds like extra work because we are used to having planks automatically, but take a look at the new build wool is a whole lot harder to make now but I do like that it yields more + you get some leather out of it for armor as well. I don't think its a problem to be fixed. I think with how everything else works in TFC it would fit in perfectly and would only be tedious during the stone age of your world.

And it is a problem that needs to be fixed in my eyes axes should not work on a crafting table and here is something that supports my idea.

using axe on wood << See all the logs getting chopped on tree stumps

using saw on wood << See all the wood getting cut on a work bench

in real world arent stumps usually left behind not only because they are more difficult to process, but also because the rotting stump contributes back to the environment?

I do like the idea of stumps being left behind. I suppose removing them would be exactly like quarrying - in that you'd dig out the dirt directly beneath it with a shovel and it would drop as a log. I think it fits well with what is present already. I don't really like the idea of placing logs one at a time to chop them. That would be frustrating to even the most patient and methodical players, I imagine.

Swinging your stone axe (I assume that's what we're using at this stage) at the stump should open a crafting inventory perhaps. Then we'd do the usual thing - put the logs and the axe in, pull planks out. The difference is, of course, that the chopping station is the only place to make planks with an axe. Sounds reasonable to me. How do you feel about that?

OK, i just couldn't help myself.

Here is a very basic mod version where you can chop wood with an axe and get 3 planks.

The axe will not get damage at the moment. There is a small bug that i still have to locate, but i'm too tired right now...need sleep....i will try to find it in the next few days.

This is how the chopping station has to be made

Posted Image

This is where you can place the block for chopping

Posted Image

And this is how it looks like when your almost finished :)

Posted Image

Download => 1.5.1_ChopALog_0.2.b76.zip

edid2: Punching with bare hand caused a crash. Fixed now.

I do like the idea of stumps being left behind. I suppose removing them would be exactly like quarrying - in that you'd dig out the dirt directly beneath it with a shovel and it would drop as a log. I think it fits well with what is present already. I don't really like the idea of placing logs one at a time to chop them. That would be frustrating to even the most patient and methodical players, I imagine.

Swinging your stone axe (I assume that's what we're using at this stage) at the stump should open a crafting inventory perhaps. Then we'd do the usual thing - put the logs and the axe in, pull planks out. The difference is, of course, that the chopping station is the only place to make planks with an axe. Sounds reasonable to me. How do you feel about that?

It is a nice idea but still it sounds repetitive in nature but once you make a saw it would work in a normal crafting table it would only be labor intensive until you get past the stone age. But that is a nice idea to at least requiring a chopping station for making planks early on.

Download => 1.5.1_ChopALog_0.1.b76.zip

Started a new world to test it crashes onPlayerInteract when I tried to punch a rock or dirt to pick it up.

Sorry about that, i forgot about working with bare hands :)

Fixed now  => 1.5.1_ChopALog_0.2.b76.zip

I chopped 32 logs in 40 seconds with some minor misses on right clicking with the axe instead of the log. If I had it practiced I could probably hit about 34 secondsNow that it is mostly working I would definitely suggest you look at the code for chests / furnaces I remember seeing code in their classes that make items drop in random directions right now the mods seems to kick them all in the same direction.

Sweet! That's pretty neat! And right when I was about to build a 1.5.1 client for Terrafirma craft!

I really do think that this idea, as it helps flow better with the TFC game mechanics. It also makes the game feel a bit more realistic in terms of 'working with the outdoors'. Yeah, lumbering is tedious. But when you're Steve, fatigue is non-existent. Hence the joy and fun for doing it in MInecraft, lol.

I like the concept spAnser, but as I mentioned to you in the IRC, it doesn't fit the direction TFC is going in the next few builds, so it won't work.

...it doesn't fit the direction TFC is going in the next few builds....

What direction is that?

What direction is that?

Revamping stone-age.

Revamping stone-age.

These ideas are very much relevant to the stone age, so i assume the direction you mention is more specific than that?

EDIT: I don't particularly care about these features, but i am interested in the general direction TFC is going. (And yes, i've read Bioxx's latest post.)

I like the concept spAnser, but as I mentioned to you in the IRC, it doesn't fit the direction TFC is going in the next few builds, so it won't work.

It is very relevant to the direction of a real stone age so what exactly are you trying to make us do in the stone age if not something realistic and so simple as this. Someone made a working mod that shows how easy it can be to implement and it doesn't require the player to really spend that much time chopping wood and chopping wood is only required in the stone age because like I said before you get saws which work as normal. So if this idea has nothing to do with the stone age we would all love to know what direction you are planning on taking the stone age?

These ideas are very much relevant to the stone age, so i assume the direction you mention is more specific than that?

I can't just TELL you. (Partly because we're not entirely sure ourselves) an idea getting tossed around atm is making planks only craftable with a saw, reintroducing beams to the axe and allowing simpler huts to be built with the stone tools. I think we feel that full on planks are a bit advanced for the stone age.

"This is my stone axe, and that is the house I built that meets 21st-century building codes" <-- sounds a little fishy to me

I can't just TELL you. (Partly because we're not entirely sure ourselves) an idea getting tossed around atm is making planks only craftable with a saw, reintroducing beams to the axe and allowing simpler huts to be built with the stone tools. I think we feel that full on planks are a bit advanced for the stone age.

"This is my stone axe, and that is the house I built that meets 21st-century building codes" <-- sounds a little fishy to me

So for a crafting table ?

or you could make it available to make firewood that works in the firepit...?

While a chopping block is well known from the last 2000 years, there's very little evidence that they were used in pre-history. We haven't worked it out quite yet, but if we DO do this (not confirmed, mind you) I think we could kinda shift it so that you wouldn't really need anything that can't be crafted in a player's inventory. For starters, with the armour revamp comes a change in night time. Creepers, the undead and spiders will be moved underground and super-powered. Fighting them without proper armour is a death wish. The surface will be replaced with more animals. Punched mobs will punch back so to say, they won't just freak out. Wolves and bears will be hostile (taming will probably survive in some manner?). All in all, the night won't be neccessarilly less dangerous than it is now, but there will be more you will be able to do to protect yourself. For one thing, there won't be any creeper explosions or skeleton arrows. Firelight will probably ward off the wolves and bears under specific conditions. You'll most likely spend your nights in open-doored thatch-roofed clay/mud brick huts.

I've never found much of a difference chopping wood sitting on the ground or on a log (irl). It's just a log.

What about a stump mechanic, not realy a major feature but this could possibly be implemented... My idea for this is to have it so that when you chop down a tree, it doesn't remove the bottom wood block, you would need to chop this down as well... there isn't a need for a new block, regular logs should work fine, it shouldn't be so hard to remove as to completely banish tree farms.

While a chopping block is well known from the last 2000 years, there's very little evidence that they were used in pre-history. We haven't worked it out quite yet, but if we DO do this (not confirmed, mind you) I think we could kinda shift it so that you wouldn't really need anything that can't be crafted in a player's inventory. For starters, with the armour revamp comes a change in night time. Creepers, the undead and spiders will be moved underground and super-powered. Fighting them without proper armour is a death wish. The surface will be replaced with more animals. Punched mobs will punch back so to say, they won't just freak out. Wolves and bears will be hostile (taming will probably survive in some manner?). All in all, the night won't be neccessarilly less dangerous than it is now, but there will be more you will be able to do to protect yourself. For one thing, there won't be any creeper explosions or skeleton arrows. Firelight will probably ward off the wolves and bears under specific conditions. You'll most likely spend your nights in open-doored thatch-roofed clay/mud brick huts.

I've never found much of a difference chopping wood sitting on the ground or on a log (irl). It's just a log.

Epic!