Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mayaknife

Peaceful vs Hostile

12 posts in this topic

I've mentioned a couple of times that I almost always play MC in Peaceful mode. I find that the mobs mostly just get in the way of more interesting activities, such as exploration, mining, construction and climbing the tech tree, and the combat system is not terribly entertaining in its own right. But is the same true for TFC? To find out, I decided to play a game in Hard mode.

In vanilla MC the mobs are at most a problem for my first night. After that I generally have secure shelter and iron armour and weapons which effectively render me invulnerable, so long as I don't do anything stupid. In TFC it took me three game days before I felt reasonably secure. It takes a lot longer to get to iron in TFC so I had to make do with bronze armour and weapons for quite a while, which in turn made me focus more on securing my home.

In Peaceful mode I usually explore fairly widely, digging test shafts whenever the surface rock type changes. In Hostile mode I did very little exploration. Once I got my copper anvil I turned into a mole. I dug a network of tunnels beneath my home and only went out on the surface occasionally, to make charcoal and collect food.

Farming isn't particularly useful in TFC because animals are a much more readily available food source. Still, when playing in Peaceful I usually do plant and harvest crops simply for the fun of it. In Hostile mode it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with the mobs so the only farming I did was to plant a banana tree and some sugar cane beside my house for easier access.

I thought that the prospect of combat might be sufficient incentive for me to get more heavily into the meal system. However the mobs are so easily dispatched using standard weapons and armour that I never felt the need for any of the buffs that meals might give me and I ended up not touching meals at all.

One place where the presence of mobs did make things more interesting was in mining. My primary garnierite deposit extended into a large cavern and it took me multiple forays to conquer enough of the cavern to allow me to mine the ore. I died four or five times, mostly because I kept forgetting to keep an eye on my health. It's nice that it only takes two swings of a steel sword to kill a creeper. :-)

To summarize, on the plus side Hostile mode made the first three nights more challenging, added a bit of excitement to mining, and made me rethink some of the strategies I'd been employing in Peaceful mode. (It also made me build a home, which I don't normally do in Peaceful, but adding a decent body temperature mechanism to the game would achieve the same thing in a more natural and elegant way.) On the minus side I did almost no exploration and didn't do any farming, both of which are activities which I enjoy. So while it was a nice change of pace, I'll probably continue to play in Peaceful most of the time.

With a little adaption of your playstyle, you can eliminate some of the minuses. For example, there's no reason why you should encounter any mobs while farming even on hard difficulty. All you need to do is find an easily defensible location and light it up with torches all over.

In my B75 world I settled on a peninsula that gave me enough room for a house, a smelting/smithing area, a tree school, a vegetable farm and an orchard, a permanent charcoal pit and a separate building to serve as a storage area and mineshaft entrance. Not a single mob can spawn anywhere, because I placed enough torches on the ground to prevent it happening, and I installed a simple 2-high cobblestone wall where the peninsula connects to the mainland, so nothing other than spiders can accidentally wander in. I was planning on making it a properly built "city wall" later-on.

With a base like that, you can feel completely safe regardless of your game's difficulty setting, and you can engage in any of the activities you enjoy.

For exploration, I generally carry a bed with me and simply never let it become nighttime.

the issue is that, while the circumstances have changed, the mobs havent, if we had special TFC mobs, it'd be a lot more balanced towards fun

But Dunk said he will move skeleton, zombies and creeper to the underground and let wild animal attack you on the surface. You will most likely be able to live in a open area without much fear to be attacked.

really i hope threre is some danger at night from the mobs jest because i don't think you should be able to jest go out into the wilderness at night and be safe but for the night to be a consideration that you have to think about before you go off anywhere

there will be hostile bear and wolf and wild animals as far as I understand, so just walking randomly will not be 100% safe

there will be hostile bear and wolf and wild animals as far as I understand, so just walking randomly will not be 100% safe

In addition to that, I'm pretty sure the vanilla spider mob is currently considered close enough to "realistic" (it's just a regular spider with a few too many growth hormones, after all) to be left above ground. It's the creepers and undead that are too fantasy-oriented to stay overland.

So just the usual critters plus bears? I was hoping for the elephants and maybe even, dare I even hope it, mammoths.

Though a rhino would be pretty sweet to hunt too...

Dunk said he will move skeleton, zombies and creeper to the underground and let wild animal attack you on the surface. You will most likely be able to live in a open area without much fear to be attacked.

That would be nice, so long as it doesn't get out of hand. I find the hostile mobs to be a bit of a kludge and would prefer to have something more in keeping with the rest of the game. Wild animal attacks would fit the bill nicely.

With a little adaption of your playstyle, you can eliminate some of the minuses. For example, there's no reason why you should encounter any mobs while farming even on hard difficulty. All you need to do is find an easily defensible location and light it up with torches all over.

That's part of what I meant by the additional hassle involved. Not really worth it given the limited utility of farming in the game. Now if food were a lot harder to come by than it currently is, then that would make things more interesting. I'd be forced to either farm or spend a lot of time hunting.

I installed a simple 2-high cobblestone wall where the peninsula connects to the mainland, so nothing other than spiders can accidentally wander in.

Make it 3-high with a one block overhang on the outside and even the spiders won't get it.

With a base like that, you can feel completely safe regardless of your game's difficulty setting, and you can engage in any of the activities you enjoy.

Sure, but then why are you playing in Hostile mode? You've basically turned it into a Peaceful game.

Because 1.) I like the challenge of getting there, and 2.) it gives me a sense of achievement that I managed to slam down the stamper of civilization on my local countryside, stating "this is mine now, it is developed human property, no more wild monster country", and 3.) as you stated, it's fun exploring caves with monsters active.

But Dunk said he will move skeleton, zombies and creeper to the underground and let wild animal attack you on the surface. You will most likely be able to live in a open area without much fear to be attacked.

yeah thats apparently not going to happen, mobs are staying on the surface from what i can gather

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0