Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omicron

My Build 77 Wishlist

25 posts in this topic

With B76 largely stable and the dev team looking towards future features, I thought I'd make a quick list of things I'd personally like to see changed. These are not big features, but rather smaller tweaks that should be (hopefully) easier to implement than the many "completely redo game system X" requests. :P

Food and Hunger

I've recently made the surprising discovery that a single chicken can keep a player fed indefinitely with eggs to spare. That is because you hardly need more than a single egg's worth of food each day, if you are not injured. So as long as you collect two eggs a day, which a single chicken can produce, you're getting more than you need.

Now obviously that is a bit hard to believe ;) I think that eggs are a bit too good as they are. Therefore I suggest to reduce the amount of food that cooked eggs restore a bit (somewhere around 30% to 50% less). I'd also like to see a bit more food required in general. There's two solutions to this, one easy and one more involved:

The involved way: vanilla Minecraft bases food consumption on the actions the player takes, whereas in TFC it is pretty much a constant (unless you are injured, which drains food per HP restored). If you kept the same passive food drain as the baseline and then introduced extra food consumption for strenuous actions (jumping, sprinting, using tools, clicking buttons in the anvil interface, etc) you would also achieve an increase in overall food intake while allowing the player to behave conservatively in times of need.

The easy way: simply increase the amount of food a player needs per Minecraft day a bit (somewhere around 30% to 50% more).

I realize that this is a potentially tricky balance point, as food may be more scarce in multiplayer, but then again a multiplayer group can also afford to divide responsibilities in a way a single player never can. There's no reason that a group of people should be more difficult to feed than a single player who needs to do everything himself. Thus I don't think it would be a huge problem to simply try it out for a release. If it turns out to give people problems, it can be dialed back again.

Enabling Animal Husbandry

I have played four worlds so far; one where I barely started (a test world I lost to a Hotfix update), two where I am well into t0 metals and progressing towards copper, and one where I am at t3/4. I've always made an effort to give all of the various features of TFC a look, but animal husbandry is the one thing I never touched so far. And that has a very simple reason: wheat. Or rather, the lack of it.

Only in one of my four worlds, I managed to find any wheat at all. That was my first world, which is no longer available to me due to dying a careless death and then realizing belatedly that I was on Hardcore difficulty :unsure: In that world, I found a single wild wheat plant that gave me 1 wheat, which I turned into 4 seeds and planted. I did not live to see it fully ripen.

In all of my other worlds - including my B75 main world where I am running around in steel gear - I have not found any wheat. None. Nada. Zilch. This may be simply bad luck on my part, for I have found plenty of other seeds (I think I have 5 bushels of rye and 12 rye seeds to go with it, to name just one example), but the point is that I absolutely need wheat to lure animals, and wheat seeds to lure chickens, and I have neither. You can breed animals with other grain types, but luring them won't work.

But why does it have to be that way? I think it would be a good idea to enable animal luring for the other grain types as well. It would allow players to actually use the animal husbandry game features more consistently, without changing anything about how the breeding process works. More accessibility without dumbing things down, if you will.

Interfaces

Please please please please fix the way the TFC interfaces randomly throw stuff on the ground instead of placing it where you intend it to... pretty please?

It's by far the most annoying bug the current build has!

...I had one other thing but I totally forgot what it was. :blink: Oh well, if it was important I'll remember later!

Punch more grass to get seed, if you only rely on finding wild crop, it's hard to find everything. I play on a server where i only grop grain that i find punching the grass, and I have a chest full of vegetable.

Yes, I've been quite busy punching grass, as you might infer from the amount of non-wheat seeds and produce I found.

The point of my suggestion is that a.) the existing system is far too susceptible to unlucky streaks, and b.) I do not believe it makes sense that you can breed the animals with any kind of grain once you have them, but to move them to your base in the first place you need one specifically. In the end the whole breeding system ends up being unavailable to a portion of the playerbase for no particular reason.

For me it is absolutely NOT believable that you can feed your animals only with wheat grain.

I grew up on a farm where my grandfather used to have all kinds of animals, and i remember him chasing them because they were eating all the cabbages or green beans. They also loved maize, carrots or apples. Even onions were not safe.

So implementing animal food to be more believable would make sense and add much to the fun factor, imho.

emris, you can feed any grain to TFC animals for breeding. Even if animals do like vegetable, farmers don't give any random vegetable or fruits to their animals. To stick with grain is realistic as far as i know.

And yes Omicron, there could be a way to make it easier to lure animals. But I think Dunk want to introduce a "domestication" system, so we will most likely see changes in the future.

I agree with everything stated here so far.

Also, can someone please explain why my animals don't move?

Is this a bug or a feature?

Chickens just stand around making eggs.

I keep chickens IRL, and they are quite mobile.

I think Dunk stated that it's a bug that he recently tracked down and potentially fixed. It's not yet in any public version though.

Hurray!

A realistic rate of egg laying would be an average of 0.5 eggs per chicken per day. You can find better layers, but those are highly domesticated.

That should help reduce the power of one chicken.

emris, you can feed any grain to TFC animals for breeding. Even if animals do like vegetable, farmers don't give any random vegetable or fruits to their animals. To stick with grain is realistic as far as i know.

Farmers do so.

Chickens and pigs will eat mostly anything (though if given opportunity individuals develop preferences). Grain is the common feed for the same reasons its very common in our diets, it is relatively easy to raise huge amounts, and it keeps pretty well.

On any old-style farm (i.e. not devoted to just one crop) the dogs, chickens, pigs will get any left-overs and and any extra food/fruit/vegetables, over-ripe, not quite ripe, smashed etc. My chickens love for instance: tomatoes, watermelon and cucumbers. They get turned out in the vegetable garden after we're done with it, and they clean it out.

A realistic rate of egg laying would be an average of 0.5 eggs per chicken per day. You can find better layers, but those are highly domesticated.

That should help reduce the power of one chicken.

Farmers do so.

Chickens and pigs will eat mostly anything (though if given opportunity individuals develop preferences). Grain is the common feed for the same reasons its very common in our diets, it is relatively easy to raise huge amounts, and it keeps pretty well.

On any old-style farm (i.e. not devoted to just one crop) the dogs, chickens, pigs will get any left-overs and and any extra food/fruit/vegetables, over-ripe, not quite ripe, smashed etc. My chickens love for instance: tomatoes, watermelon and cucumbers. They get turned out in the vegetable garden after we're done with it, and they clean it out.

Yea, my (domesticated) chickens give about one egg per chicken per day. And they'll eat anything.

Oh, I just remembered what the last thing I wanted to suggest was!

Chiseling:

Right now, you can use a chisel to carve an entire mountainside into stairs... or you can spend the same chisel trying to detail one or two blocks. Just rounding the corners on my bloomery took me more than 2 tin chisels, while the tin chisel I use to carve stairs into my mines generally doesn't die before the next TFC build requires me to start a new map.

This jarring difference comes from the fact that a single click with the chisel always consumes 1 durability, no matter what you are doing. Chipping a flake off of one corner costs as much durability as smoothing an entire block or carving it into a stair. Considering Minecraft already has the means to take multiple durability points with a single action (try chopping wood with a sword in vanilla), it doesn't have to be this way.

My suggestion: significantly increase chisel durability, and up the cost for those actions that cause large changes to the clock with a single click. In the end you'd have roughly the same or slightly less yield for the large actions, but significantly more for detailing.

Chiseling:

Right now, you can use a chisel to carve an entire mountainside into stairs... or you can spend the same chisel trying to detail one or two blocks. Just rounding the corners on my bloomery took me more than 2 tin chisels, while the tin chisel I use to carve stairs into my mines generally doesn't die before the next TFC build requires me to start a new map.

This jarring difference comes from the fact that a single click with the chisel always consumes 1 durability, no matter what you are doing. Chipping a flake off of one corner costs as much durability as smoothing an entire block or carving it into a stair. Considering Minecraft already has the means to take multiple durability points with a single action (try chopping wood with a sword in vanilla), it doesn't have to be this way.

My suggestion: significantly increase chisel durability, and up the cost for those actions that cause large changes to the clock with a single click. In the end you'd have roughly the same or slightly less yield for the large actions, but significantly more for detailing.

I agree with chisels having increased durability, to make it more playable. However, maybe when in detailing mode you drain less durability per click, but when in slabbing or stairs mode a lot more durability is consumed.

I agree with chisels having increased durability, to make it more playable. However, maybe when in detailing mode you drain less durability per click, but when in slabbing or stairs mode a lot more durability is consumed.

Isn't that what he suggested?

Isn't that what he suggested?

I now reread the post and realized that he had, sorry. I had initially thought he was only suggesting for the chisel to have increased durability.

To lure an animal, do farmers use grains?

I'm not a farmer and don't know anyone who is, but that seems pretty plausible as a good way to lure them.

For some reason though, in TFC I picture some type of like, rope. That you could use to leash an animal and transport it. This wouldn't replace the luring mechanic unless some kind of lasso mechanic was built for TFC so you could catch a wild animal easily. This is aimed toward transportation after you have successfully caught an animal.

So, say you lure a cow into a fenced area and shut the opening before he can escape, You can now leash the animal quite easily.

As far as I know wild animals don't like being leashed so they should do their standard panic run anytime a player has a rope in their hand near the animal. So as you can imagine, it would still be pretty easy to catch him if hes fenced in.

Now, for a little, domestication thing. Maybe a week after the initial leashing, the animal would change a bit, not visually or anything, but that animal would now not be afraid of leashes. So next time you wish to move him, he trusts you, because he's not dead.

But then again, I know nothing about animals.

For some reason though, in TFC I picture some type of like, rope. That you could use to leash an animal and transport it. This wouldn't replace the luring mechanic unless some kind of lasso mechanic was built for TFC so you could catch a wild animal easily. This is aimed toward transportation after you have successfully caught an animal.

the rope for animals will be a new vanilla feature for 1.6

I would love to see the tool rack feature more items. Namely, the bow and fishing rod. That would be so neat ^^

Additionally, I wouldn't mind seeing an additional recipe for using a single flour with a water bucket. Seems silly that you need 2 loaves worth of dough to complete the recipe.

I'd like to add some wish. Sorry for my english, i'll try to explain it very easy.

It would be very nice to coat some chiseled blocks with a gold.

I see it so:

1) you chisel some block as you wish

2) melt gold ingot to liquid form

3) right click whith liquid gold at block and it changes its texture to a gold one.

It woud be very great for decorating buildings exterior and I think that it's not very dificult to realise))

My wish would be that the tfc boolemry is more like the inficraft smeltary , i just wan't it.....

Chiseling:

I concur

since there are 1000 cubits per block, 1 cubit should take 1 durability. slabbing should take 500, stairs should take 250, and smoothing... let's assume that smoothing reduces every cubit exposed to the surface by one half. Determining that number is:

2 sides at 100 cubits each (10x10): 200

2 sides at 80 cubits each (10 x 8, because 2 edges of the sides are already counted towards the first set): 360

2 sides at 64 cubits each (8x8, because all edges are already in use by other sides): 488

divided by half - 244 durability damage to smooth out a block

Isn't it 512 cubits? 8x8x8?

...oh.

Wouldn't know, haven't played TFC since 2 builds before they were added, and the original suggestion thread (when I was part of it anyway) suggested 10x10x10.

so 8x8x8 then

(2x64)+(2x48)+(2x36)=296

296/2=148

148 damage for smoothing a block

...oh.

Wouldn't know, haven't played TFC since 2 builds before they were added, and the original suggestion thread (when I was part of it anyway) suggested 10x10x10.

so 8x8x8 then

(2x64)+(2x48)+(2x36)=296

296/2=148

148 damage for smoothing a block

damn. Even we aren't that harsh.

:D

That's why I usually abstain from suggesting hard numbers... I figure that, if I make a suggestion that you guys like and decide to implement it, you're perfectly able to determine a number you consider fitting for your vision of the game while doing so.

damn. Even we aren't that harsh.

Miss the previous post that suggested putting the damage values in the 1000's?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0