Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deez

Tanning Racks

24 posts in this topic

I started a new thread for Tanning racks, as per request.

Tanning Racks could be made from sticks and string. You can apply raw skin from an animal to it, work it with a Knife, and eventually after some time in the sun the skin will turn to Raw Leather. Finally using the Knife again to work the Raw Leather, it could be made into Leather Pieces and Strips for armor.

That's not the only use for Leather though, Leather could be used to make Waterskins, Simple Balloons, etc. As a constuction material it could also be used for a roof and wall coverings. I'm sure that together we can think of a lot more uses for it!

and bigger monsters could give out more hide.(like skyrim a wolf's hide made 1 leather but a bear gave 4 leather) and 1 leather could make maybe 4-5 strips of leather.

I started a new thread for Tanning racks, as per request.

Tanning Racks could be made from sticks and string. You can apply raw skin from an animal to it, work it with a Knife, and eventually after some time in the sun the skin will turn to Raw Leather. Finally using the Knife again to work the Raw Leather, it could be made into Leather Pieces and Strips for armor.

That's not the only use for Leather though, Leather could be used to make Waterskins, Simple Balloons, etc. As a constuction material it could also be used for a roof and wall coverings. I'm sure that together we can think of a lot more uses for it!

maybe backpacks aswell? or carrying straps for logs as some civs used...

That's a great idea, maybe different hide types as well f.ex. snake skin.

well not only if you think about it in conjunction with a lot of other things, cause well lets face it, having a knife, being able to skin a carcas that drops for the hides, and hunting with traps all those things are idea's that work well together and a tanning rack would fit right in imo, made with sticks and maybe some string.

This is an awesome idea. It'd be nice to have the rack's recipe be like the forge/bloomery, as in have it be something you shape in the world and not on a crafting bench.

At this rate Bioxx is going to need more coders to help with this.

:P ya but if we add more anamals for hides the question is how many hides would a beast give?

maybe one hide with a damagevalue that players can't see that determins amount?

Since leather has SO many more uses than are in game, tanning racks would be extremely essential to many aspects of survival.

Buy the way I believe in the tanning process you have to actually use a tanning agent of some sort. I have heard that the animals brains work for this and the process involves soaking the skin in a lightly heated broth of brains for some hours. This potentially could be an additional step in acquiring the leather or increasing its quality if a need for that arises.

you also use ammonia, aka refined pee, in some leatherwork ;)

Perhaps parts or chemicals from the animal itself can be used too.

I don't remember, but isn't saltpeter (already in the game) used in tanning as well? And the ammonia use would be perfect for the other suggestion of adding thirst (and having to pee) to the game.

I don't remember, but isn't saltpeter (already in the game) used in tanning as well? And the ammonia use would be perfect for the other suggestion of adding thirst (and having to pee) to the game.

"i need to make some leather armor... time to go pee on the tanning rack again XD" so redick if that was added. i think that might be a bit much, but i think it should be maybe a bit more complex, maybe like a gui like an anvil requiring multiple steps/ingredients to make it.

"i need to make some leather armor... time to go pee on the tanning rack again XD" so redick if that was added. i think that might be a bit much, but i think it should be maybe a bit more complex, maybe like a gui like an anvil requiring multiple steps/ingredients to make it.

Yeah thats what I was thinking really, maybe a little minigame GUI thingy to run the knife along the leather as if you were stripping the fat and flesh from it. I don't think we need to treat our leather with any chemicals really. I'm sure the first peoples didn't.

Yeah thats what I was thinking really, maybe a little minigame GUI thingy to run the knife along the leather as if you were stripping the fat and flesh from it. I don't think we need to treat our leather with any chemicals really. I'm sure the first peoples didn't.

well there was leather, and then hardened leather, with studded eather as well. each had its own process, each becoming increasingly advanced. if maybe different grades of leather were added, then it would seem like the tanning rack would fit well into the game. I also think this could work as part of my new precursor age idea, it could be part of the hunter/gatherer aspect of the game.

Well I think you might be suprised about how many uses pee had in history.

Well I think you might be suprised about how many uses pee had in history.

haha, i wasnt talking about the application in real life, i was more thinking of the minecraft application, just too funny.

I agree that tanning leather should be added. I made a topic about new armor items and I definitely think that this should be added. I think the bellows should use it, among other things. My catapult idea on the pvp ideas page, maybe even combine with rope to make cloth for making other things. It doesnt even have to be only leather. Maybe you could also use it like a drying rack for herbs, or stuff like this. However, I dont think it should be crafted, I think it should be like the forge, built. maybe some vertical supporta beams, and then a new cloth item stretched over them

Sorry but I'm bumping this so the new dev can read. :P

ah this looks good i for the use of furs in cold weather clothing, i dont thing they would need to be put on the tanning rack seeing as you arent taking the leather off but keeping the fur on the skin

I got an idea based on your idea.

Make a tanning rack out of 6 sticks on the side and 3 string in the center. Let me demonstrate - S = Stick, T = String

S T S

S T S

S T S

For early game, use flint tools to shave the hide, like they would before metal and such were used. 1 Flint Tool for 2-3 hides maybe?

Later, replace the flint tools with knives. You would then use the raw leather for armor, leather strips maybe for all armor as well?

As for tanning, the salpeter idea mentioned earlier is a pretty good idea, it would give us a use for the stuff. From that we could then make more refined leather items.

But ya.. A Tanning Rack is actually the last step of leather making..

You soak leather in a lovely soup of tanning agents (be it brains, piss, crap.. Lots of things works NONE are very good smelling) for a few days letting all the chunks of meat and fat break down.. Then you pull it out and stretch it out on a tanning rack and scrape it clean and let it dry for a few days....

Long process in reality but if Leather had more uses in-game (and cows dropped it more often) then I could see putting in a tanning rack

But ya.. A Tanning Rack is actually the last step of leather making..

You soak leather in a lovely soup of tanning agents (be it brains, piss, crap.. Lots of things works NONE are very good smelling) for a few days letting all the chunks of meat and fat break down.. Then you pull it out and stretch it out on a tanning rack and scrape it clean and let it dry for a few days....

Long process in reality but if Leather had more uses in-game (and cows dropped it more often) then I could see putting in a tanning rack

Consider gameplay over realism this time. Doing the entire process just seems tedious and boring.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0