Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
aeroc

[TFC 0.76.X] Terra Bow Mod (Abandoned)

78 posts in this topic

Just a thought for you if you're still developing this:

To add some depth to this mod, consider adjusting flight characteristics for arrows based on BOTH the bow used and the arrow fired. Certain trees' wood is more suitable for bow-making, as it is more naturally springy. This can be manifested in durability, but it can also manifest itself in launch velocities for arrows; a bow made of yew or osage (although I don't think either of those trees are in TFC currently) would fire an arrow much faster than one made of birch or pine.

In addition, arrows in real life have very different characteristics based off of their weight (both the shaft and arrowhead) and their sharpness. For the latter, I think it goes without saying that stone is not particularly sharp, bone can be made significantly sharper, flint can be even sharper still, and metal is sharpest of all. Obviously, a sharper arrowhead would deal more damage.

Arrow weight, again, would also add a dynamic, and would be dependent on both shaft and head weight. Heavy hardwoods like oak or hickory would make heavy arrows, while light woods like pine or birch would make lighter arrows. Head weight is obvious again: bone is lightest, followed by flint, stone, and most metals. For extra credit, make the different metals have realistic weights; iron is significantly heavier than tin. In addition to affecting trajectory, arrow weight should probably increase damage as well, because being hit by something super heavy will obviously hurt more, even if the projectile isn't super sharp.

For extra extra credit, consider damage types. Arrow sharpness will greatly increase effectiveness against soft targets (bare flesh or leather), while arrow heaviness could be the defining characteristic when determining damage against other players wearing metal armor. Perhaps even say that an arrow much have a minimum weight to be able to punch through a given metal armor, and only if it has that weight can it deal damage.

You'll notice that from a coding standpoint, this actually isn't even too difficult. Every bow needs to store one additional piece of metadata (it's "springiness"), and each arrow stack needs to store 2 additional pieces (its weight and sharpness). The values are obviously calculated and stored when the bow/arrows are crafted, and retrieved and applied when the arrow strikes an entity.

^^Great post. I'm not doing much coding at the moment, I'm taking some courses instead. I'll review your post if I return to this mod in the future. What you're suggesting doesn't sound all that difficult to implement.

It's in the OP. You knap arrowheads with stones using the pattern from the arrowhead plan found on recipe page, each knapped stone nets you two stone arrowheads.

So I have to have metal to make stone arrows, well I guess that means I'll be using javelins for now. (That or I can kill skeletons for their arrows)

thats a mouthful amoebaman ... but i do agree, i was going to suggest also:

A metal plane really screws over people who have trouble finding the right rocks for a stone anvil, furthermore archaeologists have discovered arrowheads from as long ago as 61,000 years - this, is WAY before metalworking would of been even dreamed about by humans.

With this in mind:

Maybe, Aeroc, you should consider a shaft recipe that can be crafted with a stone knife?

the first hunters wouldnt of used a metal plane to make arrow shafts, they would of been whittled sticks of wood cut with a knife, they would of been exceedingly rough cut, but it would of sufficed for what was needed, they may of forgone fletching the arrow as well ... in later cases the fletching was primitive and held on with birch-tar.

Source: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/76056/bow-and-arrow

So I have to have metal to make stone arrows, well I guess that means I'll be using javelins for now. (That or I can kill skeletons for their arrows)

What the hell you're even talking about. Do you not know how to make stone tools in TFC?

Is it just me or do I think that longbows should have their texture changed so they don't look like primitive bows, or it could be the opposite.

What the hell you're even talking about. Do you not know how to make stone tools in TFC?

You need metal to make a planer and a saw in order to make arrow shafts, even for stone headed arrows.

Is it just me or do I think that longbows should have their texture changed so they don't look like primitive bows, or it could be the opposite.

Apparently, from the double-post, it's both of you.

Ya that's a really good point about arrowshafts, maybe there should be two flavors of arrowshafts. Were primitive arrowshafts footed?

My texture artist is MIA, busy with school I believe. I intended for the bows to all have unique textures, plus some of the textures he hasn't updated are still crappy ones I drew. If anyone wants to donate their spritework the best I can offer is to credit your work in the OP.

^^Great post. I'm not doing much coding at the moment, I'm taking some courses instead. I'll review your post if I return to this mod in the future. What you're suggesting doesn't sound all that difficult to implement.

Do you use GitHub? Perhaps we could work together a bit. I'm very experienced with Java, although I confess I've never worked with Forge.

EDIT: Found your repo. I'll poke through it a bit, and maybe fork it myself.

ill suggest something like that at the shaft Problem: "primitive arrows", like Stone and bone could be crafted with sticks, feather and yarn (and Stone/bone heads ofc)

Am I correct in the understanding that fletching requires metal tools?

That seems quite wrong to me, balance and realism-wise. Especially since the next update will be expanding the stone-age progression.

Am I correct in the understanding that fletching requires metal tools?

That seems quite wrong to me, balance and realism-wise. Especially since the next update will be expanding the stone-age progression.

I do believe with the next update will come a rework of the mod, Aero's always been good and flexible, and he'll get it rebalanced around the changes, have no doubt about that.

As he mentioned before however, suggestions are welcome, as are sprites! Many people have noticed some of the sprites aren't totally complete, so if your a texture artist and you'd like to contribute... Please do!

I'd contribute.... but Aero knows I'm a math guy, good with balance and configurations... bad with art. Lol

ill suggest something like that at the shaft Problem: "primitive arrows", like Stone and bone could be crafted with sticks, feather and yarn (and Stone/bone heads ofc)

Either way he would still need to add a new item to the game, the "primitive" shafts would of been footed, but that could also of been done with a knife, i used to make bows and arrows when i was a pre-teen, footed the dowel rods i used as arrow-shafts with a kitchen knife lol.

A primitive shaft would only be able to progress up to bone/stone heads, so as to prevent exploitation from people with higher grade metals who are trying to be cheap - and also once you gain a little coding experience, you could prevent them from being fired from a bow better than the primitive one? or just give them really cruddy accuracy beyond 10-15 meters.

I love bows and I'm happy to see the approach you're taking to making this mod. Good job so far!

I haven't tried it yet, and I gather from previous posts that the quantities for results on your web site might be off, so please keep in mind I'm basing this on what I can see there since that's a lot faster than a thorough playtest of your mod.

Your Bows

You can convert vanilla bows and arrows from skeletons into your versions? Perfect!!

I really like the way you've made glue available. It's simple, available in the stone age, and believable. Really fits the mod. When it runs out of uses I hope you get an empty bottle instead of nothin.

The longbow and composite bow recipes seem to be off. It takes 2 logs to make a longbow. It takes 3/64ths of one log to make a composite bow. When it comes to wood it takes 42 composite bows to equal one longbow.

Suggestions:

hand plane + 1 log = 1 bow stave. Use that in place of the longbow body for the longbow recipe.

Add the hand plane to the composite bow recipe and replace the finished shafts with bow staves. Yeah I know, there's more wood in a longbow, but the selection process of getting the right wood in the right place for the composite involves a lot more loss so if you look at it that way it's not crazy.

Keep in mind that if horn ever becomes a drop from things like deer and bulls, that should be an optional component for the composite bow backing, as horn-backed bows have probably been at least as common as the rawhide back.

Your Arrows

This sincerely boggles my mind. I like that you included a way to make footed shafts, but that's a fairly advanced method of making arrows and it's quite difficult. The self shaft made from a young, straight branch has been used since forever, is still used today, and produces a plenty deadly arrow. They are easy to make. But, they'd have to be since an arrow is something you throw away. I get you'd want a footed shaft if you're devoting some resource like steel to making arrowheads, but even if your arrowhead is copper it's kind of overkill.

The self shaft is made by being careful about what stick you select, then either drying it in a form or with heat, and a stone to bend it against as you straighten it. There are other options, but it really is a simple process that doesn't need to involve anything more than a few stones you find in the woods. It is about as simple as making a firepit, if you want to use that as a reasonable comparison.

Then there's the feather. Since you have to either farm grain for breeding or travel long distances and hunt to get feathers, a feather is a luxury item. One feather should go a long way when making arrows. Realistically, one bird is going to get a fletcher a whole quiver of arrows, so while I realize one feather making more than one arrow is unrealistic, so is one feather being collected from a dead chicken. Clearly that minecraft feather represents more than one feather.

Suggestion for Feathers:

Currently the only reason I ever make arrows is because after you make a scribing table you can't use them for anything else. But it takes forever and a day to collect enough arrows to justify carrying a bow, and then they're gone on one hunting trip. There just aren't enough feathers to make archery viable.

What if you could right-click a chicken with an empty hand to "pluck" it for feathers? Does as much damage as a punch would, so because they can heal back you can do this every day, but not many times per chicken every day. That kind of simulates feathers growing back. Like bird wool.

Suggestions for Arrows:

A knife + 2 sticks or 2 sugar cane vertical in the 4x4 grid = an arrow shaft (you aren't putting them together; you use 2 to represent the selective cutting process of finding a good one). The rest of the process of refining self shafts is pretty ignorable, honestly.

There are 3 arrows and the recipe is the same for each: arrowhead, shaft, feather, glue.

Primitive arrow = arrowhead of bone, stone, or flint (on par with vanilla arrows, which suck). With a longbow it flies straighter, but you can't shoot it with a composite bow.

Basic arrow = arrowhead of any metal less than steel (probably quite a bit better than the primitive arrow and should one-hit kill any animal). Shoots in any bow, but with a primitive bow it's not much better than primitive arrows.

Fine arrow = arrowhead of steel or better and a footed shaft (one-hit kills unarmored zombies, etc). Can't shoot it with a primitive bow, but it's the best option for the other two bows. A fine arrow and a composite bow should probably be close to the best enchanted bow in vanilla MC. I don't see any information on how the bows compare in what you have now, though.

I'm suggesting rounding all the metal arrowheads into one arrow for simplicity. If you feel like there's enough room for variation in arrow types that players would notice a difference between zinc and bronze, for instance, then go for it. But I don't want a separate stack of arrows for each metal, that's just nutty. Then again, I don't see a hint of that on your website so maybe you only have stone and metal arrows and round it off more than I would.

Either way he would still need to add a new item to the game, the "primitive" shafts would of been footed, but that could also of been done with a knife, i used to make bows and arrows when i was a pre-teen, footed the dowel rods i used as arrow-shafts with a kitchen knife lol.

A primitive shaft would only be able to progress up to bone/stone heads, so as to prevent exploitation from people with higher grade metals who are trying to be cheap - and also once you gain a little coding experience, you could prevent them from being fired from a bow better than the primitive one? or just give them really cruddy accuracy beyond 10-15 meters.

You nocked those dowels. The part at the end that nestles the string is the nock. A footed shaft is a construction made of bonded woods of different properties, like his recipe accurately models.

Great feedback Bihlbo, I might not revisit the mod for a couple months, I'm currently busy with school. You offered a lot of information that I hadn't considered. I had considered adding different animals to supply horns and a better supply of feathers for the mod, but I ran out of time and wanted to release it. The source code is available if anyone wants to make their own bow mod with mine as their base.

Hello,

What are the chances of this working with TFC B76 HF18, on forge 679?

Cheers,

Michael

Hello,

What are the chances of this working with TFC B76 HF18, on forge 679?

Cheers,

Michael

That last version of TerraBow works with HF18, and with some luck any Forge's greater or equal to 639 (at least the ones that are made for Minecraft 1.5.1)

This sounds like a very neat job.I have to try it so I can vote.

Will tool racks work with your bows?
And what's with arrowhead-drops when hitting a living entity? I'd think you could get the shaft back, if any thing.
Also hitting the same block with multiple arrow cause a glitch.

Another small thing I found, wiki says willow is a softwood, but it acts as hardwood.

Let me say there's a couple of thing's in this mod I consider as must have. Like arrow heads and variety of bows.
It makes knife, saw and bone more useful. And that's a very nice one. Hand plane and glue are great idea. There's a lot of perspective in there like a bunch of carpentry.

One little thing I don't like that you have to be in metal age to craft arrows. How about a flint hand plane? I shouldn't be hard to implement, a recipe with a lower durability.

@bitmunks the mod still allows you to use the vanilla TFC arrow recipe and then convert them while you're in the stone age.

@aeroc I've been having a problem on my server that there is no way to store these bows. chests racks, etc. nothing seems to work >.<

@bitmunks the mod still allows you to use the vanilla TFC arrow recipe and then convert them while you're in the stone age.

@aeroc I've been having a problem on my server that there is no way to store these bows. chests racks, etc. nothing seems to work >.<

Yes, that is a common complaint and I should've fixed it. There are storage alternatives, like making a stone anvil, you should be able to store them in there. On our server we were able to craft vanilla trapped chests, and those can store them, but I'm not sure if it's possible without custom recipes. I don't have the time to update the mod, but making the bows compatible with racks is probably the first thing I'd do.

Will tool racks work with your bows?

And what's with arrowhead-drops when hitting a living entity? I'd think you could get the shaft back, if any thing.

Also hitting the same block with multiple arrow cause a glitch.

Another small thing I found, wiki says willow is a softwood, but it acts as hardwood.

Let me say there's a couple of thing's in this mod I consider as must have. Like arrow heads and variety of bows.

It makes knife, saw and bone more useful. And that's a very nice one. Hand plane and glue are great idea. There's a lot of perspective in there like a bunch of carpentry.

One little thing I don't like that you have to be in metal age to craft arrows. How about a flint hand plane? I shouldn't be hard to implement, a recipe with a lower durability.

It's been a long time, but I believe the arrowhead drop thing is configurable, and they should sometimes drop whole arrows.

Does the arrow glitch you're talking about cause arrows to appear stuck in mid-air? If so, then that is a Forge glitch, it happens even with vanilla bows/arrows and Forge.