Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Menoch

SUGGEST: Mod Section....

11 posts in this topic

I have noticed quite a few very talented individuals creating mods for TFC. Thus far we have had the Medical Mod, Water Sack Mod, and now I have noticed a Bow mod.

There are sections for SERVERS, LET'S PLAY, TEXTURE PACKS and so on. Would it be possible for us to have a MOD Topic section so individuals can place their MOD link downloads there, and it would make it easier for us to find rather than searching through Suggestions and/or Discussions topics?

Medical Mod:

http://terrafirmacra...__fromsearch__1

Leather Water Sac Mod:

http://terrafirmacra...h__1#entry56357

TerraBow Mod:

http://terrafirmacra...ra-bow-mod-wip/

These are the only three that I know of, but I have read that there some individuals that are working on re-codings of some other well known mods that would/could work with TFC. A Mod section would be a great place to find em...

These are the only three that I know of, but I have read that there some individuals that are working on re-codings of some other well known mods that would/could work with TFC. ....

That would be here :) => http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/3791-tfc-bc-small-issue/

And i would also like to add this => http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/3354-reorganize-beta-2-servers-topic/

I'd like to know more of the 'rules' in regards to TFC add-ons (I'm calling them add-on's as they are dependent on TFC, and classic IC2 taxonomy refers to such things as this classification). For instance, are their any API things to refer off of, or do you have to learn and use the methods/classes directly? Any restrictions to be wary of, in terms of balance, mechanics, and so forth?

Apologies if this is off topic, but I haven't found a decisive answer for these questions.

I'd like to know more of the 'rules' in regards to TFC add-ons (I'm calling them add-on's as they are dependent on TFC, and classic IC2 taxonomy refers to such things as this classification). For instance, are their any API things to refer off of, or do you have to learn and use the methods/classes directly? Any restrictions to be wary of, in terms of balance, mechanics, and so forth?

Apologies if this is off topic, but I haven't found a decisive answer for these questions.

The answer you seek lies within....

First you must empty yourself if you wish to become full.

To see, you must first close your eyes.....

To run you must first walk and to sit you must first be standing but you can not stand unless you have first sat and therefore your running shall never happen as you can not walk when sitting... :blink:

The answer you seek lies within.... -_-

So: it is copyleft, it requires extensive Java knowledge, all add-on's call on the source code directly, and any works that I do with it must fall in the same licence...

However, for the last question, you leave little response. Are you saying that add-on's are merely creations by the community, and do not influence the design of "balance" with base TFC play? Or, are you saying that they are welcomed, but have little influence on the direction of future TFC development with their imposed changes?

The lack of an answer can be analyzed as an answer.

(or perhaps the last answer lies in the comments in the source code, as I am very reluctant to try and decomplie TFC in any evasive manner).

This is how i understand this, so correct me if i'm wrong.

TFC is still in development, and thoughts or plans to make an API for addons is not even on the menu yet. The whole thing can change a 1k times before it gets out of beta...or it may stay in beta state forever :). No point in adding that much work to keep the API in a usable and working state.

TFC is under GNU GPL v3 license, so everything you make using TFC falls also under that same license.

Will addons influence TFC in any way? I don't think so. The devs have there own idea of what TFC is and will be, but if any addon happens to share any of there ideas, then it will look like it had an influence on TFC, but i'm pretty sure it will be implemented differently.

I see addons as creations by the community. A way to test and have fun with different ideas.

When we come to rules for addons, i don't know of any.

I just know that Bioxx expressed a wish to NOT change TFC code in any way, at least in beta development state.

I think that also includes rendering any TFC feature unusable with your addon.

There may be other things to consider, but i can't think of any at the moment.

you missed the IRC conversation I've started several times now, Bioxx says no. :(

- Seriously guys, IRC is great, come, stay, play.

Edit: let me rephrase: His reasoning is solid, he does not want to deal with the workload that comes from allowing modding. it would double, even triple the support section and lead to much of his free time being eaten by stupid questions(how do I compile tfc?). While mods like this are not prohibited, he does not want to advertise the fact. The people making the mods know, to an extent, what they are doing and he does not need to step up for them, unlike the flood of... newbs, who would otherwise make it a living hell, not only for the forums, but entire community. All sides of this community would be effected for the worse.

Understand this is a interpretation based on both first hand knowledge and second hand accounts. Do not take it as canon

Cool,ECC. Thanks for the info. I would love to join irc but I don't have the time to sit and chat... too many projects... :(

There are sections for SERVERS, LET'S PLAY, TEXTURE PACKS and so on. Would it be possible for us to have a MOD Topic section so individuals can place their MOD link downloads there, and it would make it easier for us to find rather than searching through Suggestions and/or Discussions topics?

This suggestion is more about adding a dedicated section to this forum, then about addon/mod support.

If Bioxx is worried about noob-question-bombing (what i fully understand), he can make an official sticky post stating that there will be no support whatsoever about TFC addon mods. Not one second will be invested in helping anyone make, adapt or port a mod to or for TFC.

Then he can forget about this forum topic and never look at it again :)

And i would only allow mod subtopics. Every other subtopic, not concerning a finished or WIP mod for TFC, gets deleted.

I would also love to see this kind of forum organizing in the Server section. Every time i go into server section i get lost. Which server is open, closed, whitelist, pvp, pve, etc. :wacko:

There is also the log processing mod

If there is a section in the forum, it could also be used to post about mods that work well with TFC or the way do adapt them (like adding custom recipes)

On a topic I opened about mod (here), someone said the rules to make mods for TFC are something like

- No altering of TFC source code in any way.

- No rewriting or blocking of any TFC features or Recipes.

There is no real "don't mod" rule, but I think the dev don't like it that much. That's just my feeling, but I might be wrong as 2 mod feature will be implemented in future TFC release (medical mod and leather water sac), but the log processing idea was rejected by Dunk.

If you make a mod, there is many possible scenario. You will do something that is already planed (that would be almost useless), you will do something that the dev will like and implement in the game, you will make something that the dev don't want to add in the game.

Still I think that add-on are good and bad. Good as they add more features that are not yet developed in the game, but bad as they might not be updated at the same time as TFC. If you have 50 mods, you have to wait for all of them to be at the right version. Would be happy to see more original content added, maybe it will be implemented.

I would be ready to help in the development of mods, but I know nothing about coding so I can only be a researcher and tester.

A little bit of knowledge can go a long way in stitching together one's understanding of a mod, as well as a programming language.

I do think that if the community wants an API for TFC, they are going to have to collectively maintain it. Sure, Bioxx can come in an always break it with an update, but if it's something the community is willing to put forth the effort for, I don't see any reason why I can't come to pass (outside, ofc, dev. intervention). If all we have is a 'laissez-faire' model to work with for TFC add-on's then it severs as double edged sword. On the plus side, we can work with the code very freely and design new pieces of work that branches off of it. On the other hand, our efforts are group dependent, meaning, it'll be up to everybody to help those who wish to code and mod.

Which in many cases, could work out very well in the long run...