Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ironside

Couple TFC Questions:

16 posts in this topic

Hey there, pretty new to TFC and I'm still trying to learn the ropes.

Quick question - I find it kind of difficult to determine what kind of material/rock/whatever i'm looking at or dealing with at any given time. Is there a way to click on something or put your cursor on it and have some way of knowing what kind of rock it is (say, with a popup or something, similar to how your inventory works)?

I realize you can chop a piece of rock and pick up the pebbles and look in your inventory to see what it was but I think it would take FAR less time if there was some kind of mod that helped you out until I get the hang of what i'm looking at.

Also, anyone else notice that when you're using a fire pit, forge or bloomery when you're trying to place items in inventory slots the game likes to throw your items on the ground for no reason? Sometimes you even end up losing them forever! Is this a glitch and is it being addressed in a future patch?

I also noticed a glitch with beds when people sleep in them it shows them sleeping inside the floor and your altitude drops incredibly fast. This is more of an aesthetic glitch as it just looks kind of funny.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's not randomly throwing your items down. It seems that the area in which you have to click to place the item in the box has been drastically reduced, making it way over sensitive. Miss the spot and it tosses the item for some reason.

I will address your questions in order.

Quick question - I find it kind of difficult to determine what kind of material/rock/whatever i'm looking at or dealing with at any given time. Is there a way to click on something or put your cursor on it and have some way of knowing what kind of rock it is (say, with a popup or something, similar to how your inventory works)?

As far as I know there is no way to do this. However, through visual estimation you can usually tell what kind of rock you are dealing with based on its coloration and texture pattern. This can only be learned through experience or looking at pictures on the wiki.

Also, anyone else notice that when you're using a fire pit, forge or bloomery when you're trying to place items in inventory slots the game likes to throw your items on the ground for no reason? Sometimes you even end up losing them forever! Is this a glitch and is it being addressed in a future patch?

I have noticed that as well. I find it happens less often if you aim the mouse very carefully such that the tip of your cursor is within the square. It is not so much a bug as just a very particular GUI. Still I really do hope, along with you, that a future update makes it less problematic.

I also noticed a glitch with beds when people sleep in them it shows them sleeping inside the floor and your altitude drops incredibly fast. This is more of an aesthetic glitch as it just looks kind of funny.

I haven't seen that at all. Does it only happen on multiplayer? If it does than it could just be a problem with the data being received from the server and not a bug with the mod itself. Unfortunately, I know very little about multiplayer so I can't be of much assistance. However, if it occurs during singleplayer you could try reinstalling and seeing if that helps.

I think the issue (which is not an issue at ALL, it's actually a great thing) is that there are SO MANY different types of dirt, rock, ores, minerals, etc that you practically have to go to school and get a degree in TerraFirmaCraftology to remember all of the varieties of things you're looking at.

I appreciate that they are at least different colours but when I scroll down the page in the Wiki they all start to look the same.

Guess i'll just have to keep minimizing to the wiki to reference things.

By the way; it would seem that the wiki is either incomplete or is outdated in some areas, is there someone still working on that thing?

The bed issue is on multiplayer on a server I run... it doesn't really cause an issue it just looks kind of funny to see people lay down in a bed and have them magically stuck through a wall or buried in the ground.

Also seems to be a bug with stacking items.

Example; glass can be stacked 64 blocks, yet sometimes in your inventory i'll have two blocks of 30 and the only way to get them to stack is to throw one on the ground and pick it up again where it will merge with the other stack.

Flying-in-sleep glitch is occuring in vanilla minecraft (muliplayer only, although I'm not sure about that), when player is in beg placed above 128 height, since new 256-height map format was implemented. Ocean level in TFC is about 145, so you usually sleep above this height, which is causing the glitch to appear.

Stacking bug seem to occur because of internal item metadata mismatch. I don't know if it is TFC-specific or not, but this is a known issue and will eventually be resolved, probably. Because it's annoying.

You don't really need to remember how all types of rock look like, granite and basalt are good enough to remember for the start, schist, chert and conglomerate are easy too, most of the rest I don't remember myself, despite playing since early beta1 releases. You can try to use texture packs, sometimes this can help. I also advise you to somewhat avoid custom texture packs that have similar patterns for all rock types, but it's just my preference.

Wiki is indeed incoplete and outdated, but people are working on resolving that.

Oh, and don't double-post, use Edit button instead.

I've been on a server where there was a command /bn that would tell you the identity of anything (other than an ore) that you looked at. The ore needed to be tapped with a prospecting pick.

I remember seeing something like that before in a video with Direwolf and HatFilms. In the top right of the screen it shows the block name of the targeted block. Here's the link to the vid, where you can see for yourself

. It's not part of the FTB mod, or at least it's a function I'm unaware of, but there seems to be something out there to do it.

Though, like the other guys have said, it not something you really need to worry about a great deal. You'll eventually become familiar with the significant blocks and what they hold and the rest would just be something to check the wiki when you're trying to find something specific.

(update) Well from looking through the comments, Gankachi said "You just need to go under the options in your menu (NEI) and you have to click on "Highlight Tip hidden" and it will show up!"

Though I seem to recall something about an issue with NEI and TFC. Been a while since i've played and never really used NEI in TFC, so don't know if that issue is still present. But that is one way to check out the names of blocks without harvesting them, if if works that is :).

Oh, and Welcome to TFC, enjoy :D.

I remember seeing something like that before in a video with Direwolf and HatFilms. In the top right of the screen it shows the block name of the targeted block. Here's the link to the vid, where you can see for your self

(update) Well from looking through the comments, Gankachi said "You just need to go under the options in your menu (NEI) and you have to click on "Highlight Tip hidden" and it will show up!"

Though I seem to recall something about an issue with NEI and TFC. Been a while since i've played and never really used NEI in TFC, so don't know if that issue is still present. But that is one way to check out the names of blocks without harvesting them, if if works that is :).

Yes, NEI causes crashes with current TFC build. I seem to remember Bioxx saying that the problem is not on TFC's end, but they still don't work together properly.

Also, there will be a slight issue with surface rock, for example, because surface rocks of all types are the same block type rendered and yielding differently depending on the underlying stones, so NEI will show nothing helpful when being pointed at them, same with dirt and sand.

I realize you can chop a piece of rock and pick up the pebbles and look in your inventory to see what it was but I think it would take FAR less time if there was some kind of mod that helped you out until I get the hang of what i'm looking at.

[1.5.1] [Forge] HUDini - Helpful Information On-screen

This mod tells you the name of the block under your cross-hairs when you press a key, though i haven't tested with TFC.

I've been on a server where there was a command /bn that would tell you the identity of anything (other than an ore) that you looked at. The ore needed to be tapped with a prospecting pick.

You mean this => 1.5.1_BlockNameTFC-1.2.b76.zip :)

That's sort of the fun though, isn't it? Learning about the game as you play. Being able to tell a rock by the way it looks isn't some in-game skill, it's something you can take with you into every world and onto any server.

The falling through the world thing is from vanilla, and it's because the bed was placed above 128 Y

The only noticeable problem i have right now are transparent treetops (not on all trees however), and happens even on fruit trees.

The only noticeable problem i have right now are transparent treetops (not on all trees however), and happens even on fruit trees.

That happened to me once. I found that regenerating the world solves the issue. For me, it was probably due to an error message that had interrupted the generation of the fist couple of chunks. This caused the trees in those chunks to be saved as being leafless. Of course, yours could be a completely different issue.

How does this mod work (what does it do exactly) and what are the install instructions? I think I tried loading it once but it would make my game crash? Is it client-side only or have to be server side? Is it just placed in the mods folders or do you unzip in the .jar type-a-deal?

Just place the zip file in mods folder, just like any other forge mod.

It gives you a new chat command /bn.

Typing that command will give you the name of the block you are targeting.

I made it a chat command because i use it only when i can't, or don't want to, destroy a block to find out what it is. Server protection and all :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0