Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Exanadu

Brick stacking like ingots

9 posts in this topic

Just an idea as I was playing in my world that it would be nice to be able to stack the new stone bricks in stacks just like ingots and create a nice storage facility with pretty new brick displays :)

sorry, no. This has been shut down in The IRC several times now. I want it, sure, but they dont(devs)

awe thats too bad :( but at least others had the idea also :)

Just wanted to suggest that, but not for storage, but for building.

Placing a single little brick in a world in order to make a wall is much more realistic and interesting than an invention of just a new recipe for ye olde stone bricks block, it will really change gameplay. With an ability to choose a place for a brick in a block you are placing it in you can make an interesting ornament on the wall, or you can make slabs, or stairs, or pillars, or little windows. I see it a bit like a detailed block option, but less labour- and operative memory-consuming.

Just wanted to suggest that, but not for storage, but for building.

Placing a single little brick in a world in order to make a wall is much more realistic and interesting than an invention of just a new recipe for ye olde stone bricks block, it will really change gameplay. With an ability to choose a place for a brick in a block you are placing it in you can make an interesting ornament on the wall, or you can make slabs, or stairs, or pillars, or little windows. I see it a bit like a detailed block option, but less labour- and operative memory-consuming.

This was suggested to the devs too, on several occasions by several people, including me. Was shut down as well, I'm not so sure why, but there you go.

The way I see this is simpler than you do, according to your post - I was thinking about the ability to slap some mortar on the block and then place a brick down, which would be 1/4th of the block in volume. this should work on air blocks, quater blocks (one brick placed), slabs (two bricks) and stairs (three bricks). Fourth brick that added to this would convert the thing to normal brick block.

Maybe, I should finish my learning of the codebase and make a proof of concept for this so devs can look for themselves if they want to adopt it or not. So lazy though.

Blocks of this style aren't easy on the system. They require tile entities or many, many block ids. As storage blocks for relatively uncommon resources, they're fine, but as the main building material, it would bog down the game.

Blocks of this style aren't easy on the system. They require tile entities or many, many block ids. As storage blocks for relatively uncommon resources, they're fine, but as the main building material, it would bog down the game.

This kind of block refers to a single material type, that being stone, so we can have a single id for all of them. And since (in implementation I described) most of results of this block have preexisting block types (stone brick slabs, stairs and blocks), we can apply a tick timer to the tile entity so that when the times runs out and block update happens, entity will convert itself to corresponding block type. This has gameplay sense too, as we do apply mortar, and timer will be serving as the time it takes for mortar to harden.

This kind of block refers to a single material type, that being stone, so we can have a single id for all of them. And since (in implementation I described) most of results of this block have preexisting block types (stone brick slabs, stairs and blocks), we can apply a tick timer to the tile entity so that when the times runs out and block update happens, entity will convert itself to corresponding block type. This has gameplay sense too, as we do apply mortar, and timer will be serving as the time it takes for mortar to harden.

Adds block ids, adds a lot of tile entities, causes lag. The only possible advantage this serves is to look nice while you're building it. If you were to leave the blocks in such a state that they weren't complete blocks (and could therefore have their TEs removed) you'd be bogging down your world.

Why add an aesthetic feature if you can't even appreciate it? :/

Adds block ids, adds a lot of tile entities, causes lag. The only possible advantage this serves is to look nice while you're building it. If you were to leave the blocks in such a state that they weren't complete blocks (and could therefore have their TEs removed) you'd be bogging down your world.

Why add an aesthetic feature if you can't even appreciate it? :/

Not that many lag compared to detailed ones.

And as long as stair blocks and slabs aren't tile entities in TFC (and they aren't are they? I hope not), they will convert into pretty normal blocks as long as you've placed at least two. With only one placed brick I'm not terribly sure what to do, but I hear that metadata, although technically supporting only 16 values, is an integer (and even if it's not, I'm pretty sure Java doesn't have data types that are less than 8 bits in size, of which 16 values use only one half), which means a whole clucking load of unused potential to store stuff inside, which is already kind of proven by WIP Colored Lights mod I've stumbled upon recently. Latter aside, net lag gain of the whole thing therefore is no higher than if I to use stairs to build stuff. If we use bit magic to squeeze more out of metadata, we generally lose no memory, twenty or so CPU ticks and some space on HDD (or even no additional HDD space, but I'm not certain I know NBTC that well to have certainty).

AND we move away from assembling brick structures on a workbench. And it looks pretty, just as you've said.

I do need to make a proof of concept, don't I?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0