Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peffern

Crafting Table = Tech Portal

17 posts in this topic

Basically, it came up in another thread* that crafting tables could made more of a later-game item.

In vanilla minecraft, a crafting table is the absolute first thing that most people make, so people don't see it as a tech portal (by that I mean something that unlocks a large section of the tech tree). However, most aspects of vanilla minecraft are unavailable until the creation of a crafting table.

However in TFC stone tools can be made without a crafting table. The only things that require a crafting table are: scribing, smelting, and barrels. (tell me if I missed one)

I have two suggestions to make.

1. the crafting table should be made more expensive. I think they should require a saw blade (or possible a saw blade and hammer head). The reason for this is that first, it moves the crafting table to at least the first metal tool, and second, the crafting table texture has a saw on it :D The reason that I don't say a saw or hammer and just a blade instead is:

2. Metal tools should not be craftable without a crafting table. In my opinion this is as simple as making them require a recipe of

X Tool head X

X Stick X

X Stick X

instead of

X Tool head X

X Stick X

X X X

like it is in vanilla.

One effect of this is that it would push leather armor farther back in the tech tree (as it requires a barrel which requires a crafting table) which would allow monsters to retain some of their scariness farther into the game.

*Eternal this is for you. I didn't want to derail the other thread so I added this one.

And how do you make your first saw blade?

hmm...i think i already asked that question...yes, here it is =>

:)

First off, to make metal as is in TFC, you need a mold to make an ingot to make a blade. A mold is crafted in the crafting table. I do support the idea of the crafting table being a more advanced item, and as such I suggest the following: placing a clay ball in the crafting grid would open up a knapping-like interface, where you would hand shape and mold the clay into the desired form. There we have a mold that can be cooked to form a normal ceramic mold, and used for normal metal working. However, to make a scribing table to make a tool head you need a crafting bench. What do I suggest? not needing a scribing table plan for making the very first blade/tool. Just hammering an ingot enough should produce a crude blade, or sharpened metal. This then can be used to create planks (I think this should be the first moment in the game where you get planks, since it is impossible IRL to make planks with a stone axe, which is very blunt and imprecise). Once you have your first planks, you can then make a crafting table (I would prefer rename to carpentry bench), which can be used to make a scribing table, which can be used to make toolhead plans, which can be used to create better tools. Up until you can get planks, you can build with logs and thatching, nice wooden plank houses weren't available in the stone age, because you need metal to precision-craft planks, as such woodworking would be a later game feature, side by side with metalworking.

Also cobblestone and masonry should only be available after getting a crafting table, now with cobblestone requiring mortar and stuff. Cobblestone and stone houses with nice bricks weren't available in the stone age.

This suggestion would, of course, make the early game a lot more limiting, but make acquiring metal that much more important.

taking something dunk himself said:

I think we feel that full on planks are a bit advanced for the stone age.

"This is my stone axe, and that is the house I built that meets 21st-century building codes" <-- sounds a little fishy to me

Basically, it came up in another thread* that crafting tables could made more of a later-game item.

In vanilla minecraft, a crafting table is the absolute first thing that most people make, so people don't see it as a tech portal (by that I mean something that unlocks a large section of the tech tree). However, most aspects of vanilla minecraft are unavailable until the creation of a crafting table.

However in TFC stone tools can be made without a crafting table. The only things that require a crafting table are: scribing, smelting, and barrels. (tell me if I missed one)

I have two suggestions to make.

1. the crafting table should be made more expensive. I think they should require a saw blade (or possible a saw blade and hammer head). The reason for this is that first, it moves the crafting table to at least the first metal tool, and second, the crafting table texture has a saw on it :D The reason that I don't say a saw or hammer and just a blade instead is:

2. Metal tools should not be craftable without a crafting table. In my opinion this is as simple as making them require a recipe of

X Tool head X

X Stick X

X Stick X

instead of

X Tool head X

X Stick X

X X X

like it is in vanilla.

One effect of this is that it would push leather armor farther back in the tech tree (as it requires a barrel which requires a crafting table) which would allow monsters to retain some of their scariness farther into the game.

*Eternal this is for you. I didn't want to derail the other thread so I added this one.

Beds

Beds

Another point: wood and wool beds should also be a later game item, earlier beds being a bunch of hay or grass(grass should be able to be cut with a knife to form grass bundles, which can be dried in the sun to make hay bundles, which can be placed and covered in sheepskin to make a simple bed. The benefit of a more modern bed over a primitive one would be, for example, if body temperature were implemented, you would keep warmer, and maybe sleeping in a bad bed would apply some sort of a debuff. The primitive beds would have lowered durability, with the hay eventually getting bug-ridden and run-down making you have to change it.

Another point: wood and wool beds should also be a later game item, earlier beds being a bunch of hay or grass(grass should be able to be cut with a knife to form grass bundles, which can be dried in the sun to make hay bundles, which can be placed and covered in sheepskin to make a simple bed. The benefit of a more modern bed over a primitive one would be, for example, if body temperature were implemented, you would keep warmer, and maybe sleeping in a bad bed would apply some sort of a debuff. The primitive beds would have lowered durability, with the hay eventually getting bug-ridden and run-down making you have to change it.

Yea but bug ridden pillows would mean breakfast in bed! Mmmm! Bedbugs!

well, i like to think of the crafting table as just that, a table to work at. you would need to have appropriate tools and materials to work with anything at the table.

The more-or-less-complete-list is:

Beds

Doors

Trapdoors

Signs

Fences

Fence Gates

Cobblestone Walls

Chests

Tool Racks

Glass Panes

Bricks

Boats

Minecarts

Rails

Metallurgy Table

Scribing Table

Bloomery

Barrels

Wooden Buckets

Bows

Arrows

Fishing Rods

Paper

Glass Bottles

(Unsure if they can be made in TFC)

Bookshelves

Paintings

Item Frames

The more-or-less-complete-list is:

Beds

Doors

Trapdoors

Signs

Fences

Fence Gates

Cobblestone Walls

Chests

Tool Racks

Glass Panes

Bricks

Boats

Minecarts

Rails

Metallurgy Table

Scribing Table

Bloomery

Barrels

Wooden Buckets

Bows

Arrows

Fishing Rods

Paper

Glass Bottles

(Unsure if they can be made in TFC)

Bookshelves

Paintings

Item Frames

Almost everything you mentioned there is post-stone age and advanced, such as nice wooden plank doors that fit a modern house, Except for maybe the bow and arrow. Maybe the bow and arrow could be crafted by using a bowstick, which would be woodworked and crafted by combining a stick with a knife, to shave and shape the stick, like in real life. You then combine the Bowstick or whatever you call it with string in your normal 2x2 crafting grid and hey presto you have a bow. IRL you don't need an actual carpentry bench or worktable to make a bow, just sit anywhere and start shaping your stick with a knife little by little, and then string it up when you're done.

Basically, if it doesn't belong in the stone age, then it shouldnt be craftable without a crafting table. If it is, then it should just require a recipe change. Someone above me mentioned clay molds. That's probably the big one.

Basically, if it doesn't belong in the stone age, then it shouldnt be craftable without a crafting table. If it is, then it should just require a recipe change. Someone above me mentioned clay molds. That's probably the big one.

I suggested making clay molds similarly to ho you knap, you would hand shape and mold the clay by hand into the desired shape.

Don't be ridiculous. This isn't vanilla where you have to draw the shape of your tool on a 3x3 pixel grid. The handle of a tool isn't made from two sticks taped together, its a solid piece of wood.

You can't even MAKE metal tools without first having a crafting table (to make a scribing table for plans) so I don't see what you're complaining about.

You can't even MAKE metal tools without first having a crafting table (to make a scribing table for plans) so I don't see what you're complaining about.

Did you not read my alternative to that?:

First off, to make metal as is in TFC, you need a mold to make an ingot to make a blade. A mold is crafted in the crafting table. I do support the idea of the crafting table being a more advanced item, and as such I suggest the following: placing a clay ball in the crafting grid would open up a knapping-like interface, where you would hand shape and mold the clay into the desired form. There we have a mold that can be cooked to form a normal ceramic mold, and used for normal metal working. However, to make a scribing table to make a tool head you need a crafting bench. What do I suggest? not needing a scribing table plan for making the very first blade/tool. Just hammering an ingot enough should produce a crude blade, or sharpened metal. This then can be used to create planks (I think this should be the first moment in the game where you get planks, since it is impossible IRL to make planks with a stone axe, which is very blunt and imprecise). Once you have your first planks, you can then make a crafting table (I would prefer rename to carpentry bench), which can be used to make a scribing table, which can be used to make toolhead plans, which can be used to create better tools. Up until you can get planks, you can build with logs and thatching, nice wooden plank houses weren't available in the stone age, because you need metal to precision-craft planks, as such woodworking would be a later game feature, side by side with metalworking.

that explains how you would get the first tools, without crafting table.

Don't be ridiculous. This isn't vanilla where you have to draw the shape of your tool on a 3x3 pixel grid. The handle of a tool isn't made from two sticks taped together, its a solid piece of wood.

the point is to make the crafting table more expensive to better serve its purpose as a tech portal.

I guess you're right about the scribing table, i forgot that.

P.S. If crafting tables are more expensive there will be less incentive to carry them around with you :)

Why not add vines to the equation? They would attach the stone tool head to the stick... Instead of 2 sticks... Just saying :P

And if you want to add extra dificulty to the game, instead of making the metal tool heads with a stick and its done, you could put a leather handle to finish the tool... :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0