Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EpicOrange

How do you reduce lagz?

23 posts in this topic

I've installed Optifine, disabled/minimalized everything, turned off snooper, put on peaceful, tiny render, everything. I'm still getting from 0.25 - 3 fps per second with TFC. Is there an easy way to fix this?

I've installed Optifine, disabled/minimalized everything, turned off snooper, put on peaceful, tiny render, everything. I'm still getting from 0.25 - 3 fps per second with TFC. Is there an easy way to fix this?

what fps do you get on vanilla?

20 to 50 FPS without Optifine

that's odd. Certain versions of optifine can actually harm fps rather than help it, so making sure you have the correct version is important.

Also, make sure your java version isn't out of date. Try closing any excess programs you may have running. game booster may be able to help optimize your machine as well.

I am using Optifine 1.5.1 Ultra C4.

My java version is 7 Update 21.

I don't have any other programs running besides minecraft.

First, how are you launching TFC?

It sounds like one of two things to me, either you are not dedicating enough RAM to TFC (I believe the launcher only dedicates 256mb unless that has been fixed), or your video card is going.

As Dunk said, it may be what version of Optifine you are using, I would also like to throw out that not all hardware set ups work with any version of Optifne. I am one of those people, regardless of what type of Optifine I use, it makes the game unplayable.

Gwtheyrn also makes a good point about RAM allocations. How much ram does your system have? If you open up notepad and put in:

java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -jar "Minecraft.exe"

or

java -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "Minecraft.exe"

And then save save that file as Minecraft.bat, you can use that file to launch minecraft with higher ram allocation. The first part I listed is for allocating 2 gigs or ram, the second 4 gigs or ram, don't allocate more than your system is able to give. You will also want to put the bat file where ever your launcher is (your minecraft.exe), which is probably on your desktop.

Another thing to try is see if you have up to date drivers for you graphics card (what graphics card are you using? Also are you on a PC, Laptop or Mac?).

Are you just using Optifine for the performance upgrade it gives? You may be better off trying allocate more RAM and running it without Optifine.

The good news is that the Rendering update should be out sometime between 1.6-1.7 for vanilla Minecraft, so you may see better performance then.

Keep us updated on how these changes affect you, will try to give more help if needed. :)

I have improved my FPS by changing my Java to 64 bits, doing that almost doubled my FPS.

I have improved my FPS by changing my Java to 64 bits, doing that almost doubled my FPS.

Good to hear you found a solution. Not to long ago MC had a big red text that would pop up in the graphics menu if it detected you were using 32 bit java when you should be using 64 bit. Wonder if that went away or if Optifine hid it. Rather odd.

Anybody have any idea why I can only assign 1GB of RAM to Minecraft even though my computer has four time the amount? Each time I fiddle with RAM assignment to TFC, it refuses to work above 1GB. Meanwhile, my Vanilla Minecraft instance has 2GB of RAM assigned and works perfectly fine.

EDIT: Untangled the mess of PATH environmentals (it used 32bit instead of 64bit), can now assign 2GB. On the other hand, 32bit had insanely good framerates (50FPS was a norm) and 64bit's FPS is more or less equal to the number of Chunk Updates. WTF?

As Dunk said, it may be what version of Optifine you are using, I would also like to throw out that not all hardware set ups work with any version of Optifne. I am one of those people, regardless of what type of Optifine I use, it makes the game unplayable.

Gwtheyrn also makes a good point about RAM allocations. How much ram does your system have? If you open up notepad and put in:

java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -jar "Minecraft.exe"

or

java -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "Minecraft.exe"

And then save save that file as Minecraft.bat, you can use that file to launch minecraft with higher ram allocation. The first part I listed is for allocating 2 gigs or ram, the second 4 gigs or ram, don't allocate more than your system is able to give. You will also want to put the bat file where ever your launcher is (your minecraft.exe), which is probably on your desktop.

Another thing to try is see if you have up to date drivers for you graphics card (what graphics card are you using? Also are you on a PC, Laptop or Mac?).

Are you just using Optifine for the performance upgrade it gives? You may be better off trying allocate more RAM and running it without Optifine.

The good news is that the Rendering update should be out sometime between 1.6-1.7 for vanilla Minecraft, so you may see better performance then.

Keep us updated on how these changes affect you, will try to give more help if needed. :)

Thanks for this, now my fps is from 3 to 10 with extremely frequent(1-2 seconds apart) screenfreeze-lagspikes that last for about 3 seconds. I managed to punch four rocks! :D

EDIT: Also, the lagometer is all green.

Thanks for this, now my fps is from 3 to 10 with extremely frequent(1-2 seconds apart) screenfreeze-lagspikes that last for about 3 seconds. I managed to punch four rocks! :D

EDIT: Also, the lagometer is all green.

Again, 32 or 64 bit java and what OS are you using? (for example windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit). Also, are you on a laptop or pc. If you are on a laptop, are you restricted to integrated graphics (if not make sure that Minecraft isn't defaulting to that), if you are using a PC, what graphics card do you have?

Though you've gotten some improvement, it seems very odd that you are getting such low performance. Is this also with optifine installed still?

Alright, I FINALLY tracked down and squashed all the performance problems for me. I'll make an example of myself, because I failed at pretty much every step:

1) I could not assign more that 1GB of RAM to TFC, the standalone (NOT Minecraft, which had 2GB allocated and worked fine).

2) I've had older version of Java installed. DLd a new one, both 32 and 64 bit - important later on. 32 defaulted to C:/Program Files (86x) meanwhile 64 to regular Program Files.

3) I ran the game. Nope, no changes. Still could only allocate 1GB.

4) Turns out, my Environmental Variables pointed my laptop to the old installation of Java (1.6-something). Changed it to the new path.

5) Whee, I get 50FPS! Wait, nope, still get out of memory crashes. D:

6) I go back to Environmental Variables and figure out my 64bit system used 32bit Java due to a bad path variable. Changed.

7) I ran the game again. I can have even 3GB of RAM allocated, but I get absurdly low FPS again.

8) Finally, I figure out to open NVIDIA panel and set the laptop to default to non-integrated video card.

9) 50+ FPS, no GL memory crashes, TFC runs smoothly. Whee!

Alright, I FINALLY tracked down and squashed all the performance problems for me. I'll make an example of myself, because I failed at pretty much every step:

1) I could not assign more that 1GB of RAM to TFC, the standalone (NOT Minecraft, which had 2GB allocated and worked fine).

2) I've had older version of Java installed. DLd a new one, both 32 and 64 bit - important later on. 32 defaulted to C:/Program Files (86x) meanwhile 64 to regular Program Files.

3) I ran the game. Nope, no changes. Still could only allocate 1GB.

4) Turns out, my Environmental Variables pointed my laptop to the old installation of Java (1.6-something). Changed it to the new path.

5) Whee, I get 50FPS! Wait, nope, still get out of memory crashes. D:

6) I go back to Environmental Variables and figure out my 64bit system used 32bit Java due to a bad path variable. Changed.

7) I ran the game again. I can have even 3GB of RAM allocated, but I get absurdly low FPS again.

8) Finally, I figure out to open NVIDIA panel and set the laptop to default to non-integrated video card.

9) 50+ FPS, no GL memory crashes, TFC runs smoothly. Whee!

Awesome. :)

I've noticed that, with laptops, MC defaulting to integrated video cards has been a major issue. This has been especially cropping up with the new launcher. So just a reminder when the game updates to 1.6 and you have to use the new launcher, double check if your laptop switched back over to integrated graphics! DB had to answer this graphics issue like ten times yesterday. :P

Wonder how EpicOrange is fairing.

What about lag spikes? is it normal? i get them in SP every few seconds, i don't really know how do get rid of them

i am on PC, starting MC with Magic launcher, with optifine 1.5.1 HB_U_B1.. until now, i still get lag spikes every 3-5 seconds whatever version of optifine i'm using, i have the latest 64 bit version of java and 3 GB allocated, the only mod is Smart moving.. interesting that lag spikes occured since i've updated to b76..

Edit: what are these game boosters? how do you advice me about them?

PS. lag spikes are white, and white colour in lagometer is for tick

What about lag spikes? is it normal? i get them in SP every few seconds, i don't really know how do get rid of them

i am on PC, starting MC with Magic launcher, with optifine 1.5.1 HB_U_B1.. until now, i still get lag spikes every 3-5 seconds whatever version of optifine i'm using, i have the latest 64 bit version of java and 3 GB allocated, the only mod is Smart moving.. interesting that lag spikes occured since i've updated to b76..

Edit: what are these game boosters? how do you advice me about them?

PS. lag spikes are white, and white colour in lagometer is for tick

So the meter is telling you are getting low TPS (ticks per second), if that is the case, something is eating up a lot of processes. Usually you only see this when you have a lot of stuff going on, like if you have a lot of technical mods running or if you have a shit ton of item frames with zoomed out maps put into them. In this case, it isn't so much a GPU issue, but a processor issue. Or maybe I am misunderstanding you by what you mean on tick lag.

Out of curiosity, on a fresh install, same set up that you have up there, but without optifine, what kind of performance are you getting?

So the meter is telling you are getting low TPS (ticks per second), if that is the case, something is eating up a lot of processes. Usually you only see this when you have a lot of stuff going on, like if you have a lot of technical mods running or if you have a shit ton of item frames with zoomed out maps put into them. In this case, it isn't so much a GPU issue, but a processor issue. Or maybe I am misunderstanding you by what you mean on tick lag.

Out of curiosity, on a fresh install, same set up that you have up there, but without optifine, what kind of performance are you getting?

They are lag spikes, so heavy single lags which occur every few seconds, but their color with optifine lagometer is white, which is associated with tick.. for your question, using magic launcher i had only to deactivate optifine in the settings before starting minecraft, i run without it at 37-50 FPS, also lag spikes occur more often.. so pretty normal, with optifine MC runs between 40-80 FPS but still gets these lag spikes.. another thing is that for what i remember when i tried the first time b76 and got these LSOD, using vanilla MC it didn't had any LSOD.. so i think it's TFC causing this problem

They are lag spikes, so heavy single lags which occur every few seconds, but their color with optifine lagometer is white, which is associated with tick.. for your question, using magic launcher i had only to deactivate optifine in the settings before starting minecraft, i run without it at 37-50 FPS, also lag spikes occur more often.. so pretty normal, with optifine MC runs between 40-80 FPS but still gets these lag spikes.. another thing is that for what i remember when i tried the first time b76 and got these LSOD, using vanilla MC it didn't had any LSOD.. so i think it's TFC causing this problem

If it is TPS related lag, something is eating a ton of processes in the game. Are you playing on a freshly generated world (lots of new chunks loading)? It could just be something with the current version that is out, did you get the same issue on the last stable version of TFC? Again, at this point it sounds like its more a processor issue than a graphical one. I'm usually pretty good at pinpointing this stuff when it comes to server TPS issues, but I am not fully familiar with TFC enough to figure out what exactly could be the TPS issue.

If it is TPS related lag, something is eating a ton of processes in the game. Are you playing on a freshly generated world (lots of new chunks loading)? It could just be something with the current version that is out, did you get the same issue on the last stable version of TFC? Again, at this point it sounds like its more a processor issue than a graphical one. I'm usually pretty good at pinpointing this stuff when it comes to server TPS issues, but I am not fully familiar with TFC enough to figure out what exactly could be the TPS issue.

lag spikes presents more if i'm going in new areas, so yes, freshly generated areas, as i said, b75 had not this problem, but since b76 (and all its hotfixes) present this issue.. maybe i have only to wait next releases.. but for now SP is unplayable, so i have to forcely switch to MP

Again, 32 or 64 bit java and what OS are you using? (for example windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit). Also, are you on a laptop or pc. If you are on a laptop, are you restricted to integrated graphics (if not make sure that Minecraft isn't defaulting to that), if you are using a PC, what graphics card do you have?

Though you've gotten some improvement, it seems very odd that you are getting such low performance. Is this also with optifine installed still?

I'm on a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and 64 bit java (version 7 update 21), and Optifine looks like it's helping. How do I check if integrated graphics?

Just give us the name and model of your laptop.....google will tell us the rest ;)

I'm on a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and 64 bit java (version 7 update 21), and Optifine looks like it's helping. How do I check if integrated graphics?

1: Right-click an empty part of your Desktop and click Screen Resolution. Then, click Change Advanced Settings. The window that pops up will tell you what graphics card you have.

2: Open up Control Panel, click Device Manager, click the ► next to Display Adapters, and read off what it says there.

If it says "Intel" anything, full stop. It's Integrated Graphics, and the worst of them all. If it says nVidia or AMD or ATi, look at the model number and tell us it.

For future reference:

The second number in the model number is the performance grade, higher is better. Example, ATi Radeon 3200, the first number is 3 (the generation), the second number is 2 (low performance grade, always integrated graphics). I have a ATi (AMD) Radeon 5830, the 5 is the generation, the 8 is performance level. It's one down from the top end of performance. This rule holds true with nVidia numbering. A GeForce GT 610 is slow as balls, but a GT 640 can almost keep up with my 5830, despite being a cheap graphics card, and a GTX 680 is a monster.

For gaming laptops, you need to shell out almost $1000 for one with a good graphics card in it. If you don't have that much money, your best bet is an AMD A8 or A10 (2nd Generation, 7-series graphics) laptop, as these laptops have very good APU Graphics that make the Intel Integrated Graphics found in the numerous and comparable systems look very slow, and can be got for between $450 and $650. I know someone that has a A8 laptop that runs Minecraft and it absolutely flies.

Do not get into an Intel vs. AMD argument. Intel Processors are faster, but Intel Integrated Graphics suck so bad that the processing power is never fully realized in gaming, because the graphics card is holding it back. The best system obviously is an Intel Core i3 or i5 system with a dedicated graphics card (no integrated graphics!), but as stated, it runs up the price to over $900.

well, to me it sounds like you need to get a new hamster for your computer, that definitely helped me out