Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
davoval0001

Dung, sugarcane and a roof over your head

11 posts in this topic

I’ve been playing for quite some time and I’ve realised something that I think is quite important. Roofs (and houses in general)

Roofs (and houses) in history have been a way of showing off your wealth. I also think it is a little weird that you can use some materials (i.e. wool) as roofs that keep the weather out. My proposal is a 3 tier system of roofs

Dung-

Dung would be collected off the ground from animals, much like you collect rocks off the ground. Sheep, cows (and horses when the get implemented) will drop dung, depending on how well fed they are. Two materials would be needed to create a dung house.

Dung-

Stick wall-

Stick walls- stick walls would be a block (much like a glass pane) that would be crafted out of sticks (dahh). It would be used to support dung and could be placed either vertically (walls) of on a 45 degree angle (roof). Stick walls would be crafted in the crafting table (although I haven’t thought on a way to craft stick walls yet, ideas?) Stick walls/roofs would be a no solid item when placed on the ground or in the air.

Dung- as stated above, would be a by-product of sheep, cows, and horses, and would be found on the ground much like rocks. It would be able to be placed on the stick walls/roof to produce a solid wall. Dung once placed on a stick wall, would have to dry, so it would not be work straight away against the wether. (maybe 3 minutes in game for the dung to dry?).

Other uses of dung and stick walls-

Dung could be used like fertilizer on plants and increase grow time. It could also be used to replenish the soil after a crop has been growing on it. It could also be used as a very poor flammable material for the fire pit (low tier) and could also be used as a floor covering.

Thatched

Thatched roofs- Thatched roofs are reeds that are bundled into a group and allowed to dry out before being placed on top of a roof. In TFC a thatched roof would be crafted out of sugarcane/reeds. Once collected and there would be two options to dry out the sugarcane to produce dry sugarcane.

• The sugarcane could be smoked (and dried out) in or over a source of heat like a fire pit bloomer or forge
  • The sugarcane could be placed (much like a log stack) outside, and allowed to dry, although the time it takes to dry would be determined on the weather, and would be a longer process then the above.

The next step would be to craft the roof. Currently I’m unsure on how this would work, so here are my two options

• You would craft the dry sugarcane in a crafting table, using the vanilla stair recipe. This would produce a thatched roof block (which would be at a 45 degree angle) that you would then be able to place.
  • You would craft the dry sugarcane into a bundle, (recipe unknown) and the output would be an item (looking much like wheat) that you would be able to place.

Tiles

-Tiles would be either created out of clay, or rock (slate?). If created out of clay, the clay would need to be shaped into a tile shape and then cooked in a fire pit or similar. Once cooked it could then be placed. For the idea of using rocks, I’m not sure how the process would go so any idea would be appreciated.

Getting dung would be nice. I'd like to see how players would deal with too much of it. However, a house made completely out of dung is quite silly (and stinky). A mix of clay, water, reeds/straw and dung would be a suitable solution, however, very similar to Sumerian brick composition.

Shithouse is a silly idea indeed, perhaps make Dung a poor man's Limestone (i.e. port the Stone Brick code over with Dung instead of Limestone and Clay/Sugarcane/Straw in place of Bricks). Otherwise, I like the idea. Especially once Temperature becomes more important, Roofs could affect how much heat do you retain.

How are dung houses silly? I know of plenty of cultures that use animal dung(cow or buffalo or something) instead of mud or adobe as a building material for huts.

"Man, that roof looks like shit"

But yeah, thatch is coming

"Man, that roof looks like shit"

But yeah, thatch is coming

SWEET, ive always wanted a thatched roof, not only will it make sense it will aslo look good and give a good use for sugarcane

What a crappy thread!

:)

I have wondered quite often on the things of poo and whether it would be implemented in tfc or not. I think it is a wonderful idea and its uses are many.

Well thought out.

I think it would be one of those features that could be a time consuming occupation. For farmers anyway, too much poo in a pasture could poison nearby water sources, make livestock sick, etc, but as a byproduct could be essential to a thriving community.

Poo-tastic!

... doh!

I should upgrade my phone....

What a crappy thread!

Cheers!!

i do rather like the idea of poo poisoning nearby water, plants, and even food stored nearby.

Edited by davoval0001

no poo

Ah, Poo! :(