Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aliceingame

Monster balance

25 posts in this topic

I know that skeleton where doing vanilla damage and it have been fix, but they are a bit strong right now... it would even say they are OP.

One arrow can deal up to 400 damage. Get shot 3 times? You are dead. Ok, skeleton are not too hard to kill. With a bronze sword, 3 hit and they are dead. The problem is, they can have armor. In that case, it need up to 10 hit to kill them. The worst I saw is a skeleton in a blueish armor. I don't know what kind of armor it was, but one hit was like 20-30 points of damage, it took like 40 hit to kill it. And of course, if you do not cheat as I did, you would be kill 10 times before being able to kill it.

Zombies deal 100 damage and if you play well, they will never touch you. They sometime have a shovel and it's rare that they have a sword, and never seen with armor. They are basically harmless. The worst thing that can happen is if some zombies are in your back while you are attacking other zombies.

Spider deal about 85 damage. Their attacks are a bit harder to dodge, so scarier than zombies. I would say they are the most balanced mob right now.

I think that skeleton should deal less damage and zombies have armor and weapons so they would be stronger.

Yes, I agree that skeletons are very overpowered at the moment. I have found, even with armor, they seem to do so much more damage than they should be (then again, I have never made any armor beyond tier 1 so I cannot comment on the more advanced armors). Finding a single skeleton that has armor can be more than death sentence if taken by surprise or in an disadvantageous position. This may be due to me just being absolutely horrible at combat in minecraft though (I generally just run away more than anything).

How much damage do you take in steel armor or red/blue steel? I think they are so powerful because you need a reason for higher tier armor to exist. Otherwise you'd get zinc armor and be done with it, and higher tiers would only be for PvP.

A thought I had on skeletons was that they shouldn't be able to keep shooting while you hit them. Hitting them should reset their shot timer (you can't draw and shoot a bow when someone is smacking you with a sword). So they'd only be a danger while you closed the distance, and terrain would become more important.

Well if that is the case then it should be subsequently harder to get close and reset the shot timer. After all, we don't want to make skeletons take the opposite direction and become laughable even without armor (because they never get off a shot).

ok, I unterstant the logic that if mob are strong, you NEED an armor... but Skeleton are at least 4x stronger than any mob.

Sometime I have to kill a zombie before getting to the skeleton. In that situation, It's extremely dangerous as the skeleton will have time to shoot me a couple of time.

I completely agree about skeletons, though I can see the counter-arguments as well.

When I started the game, a skeleton in armor meant you had two options: avoid him for several days till he despawned, or mob him with the 3 other people and hope no more than two of us die in the process. I don't really think this is a good mechanic. if they were rare on the surface, much like endermen are, then it wouldn't be a big issue.

As to the argument about higher tier armors, I think higher they should be for caves and dungeons (if they ever are implemented). I think somewhere it was mentioned that new mobs would be implemented at some point; more harmless ones for the surface, and more dangerous ones for underground. I don't mind being afraid of the dark, but skeletons with a helmet don't burn in the sun, and as such you are screwed without a bed.

I think Terraria got the danger aspect right, having dangerous mobs deep underground, and somewhat harmless ones in most of the surface (corruption and jungle excluded).

Another thing I noticed was that the skeletons seem to spawn with armor on them a disproportionately large amount of time. I haven't seen zombies with armor on them nearly as often (even though both come from dead corpses and thus should have equal chance to have armor on them). In fact I would go so far as to say that since build 76 I have never seen a skeleton spawn without armor, at least not in recent memory. The large amount of armor is not the problem it is the fact that skeletons spawn with it more often than their nearest cousins, the zombies. Of course ,I could just be unlucky with randomly determined spawns.

I do not care if they are strong, I care if they are the only strong monsters.

You see one skeleton, you run. You know you will suffer a lot of damage or die.

You see 5 zombies. You fight them as you know you can kill them.

Monsters are getting the boot, to be replaced by more believable night-time friends, like wolves and bears.

I do not care if they are strong, I care if they are the only strong monsters.

You see one skeleton, you run. You know you will suffer a lot of damage or die.

You see 5 zombies. You fight them as you know you can kill them.

there is no point to be afraid of skeleton in bronze armor or higher... and there always can be a tree on the surface, just hide behind it and wait for skeleton, then attack/hide :)

there is no point to be afraid of skeleton in bronze armor or higher...

Yes, I bet you will run if you see that you must hit the damn skeleton in blue armor 40 times to kill it.

The damage is fine, I just think that the armor of them should be adjusted. Maybe they could spawn with higher tier armor if players near wear also better armor. This way you would always get enemies balanced in regards to your own equipment

Skellies hit like a boss right now. Ugh. I just run when I see them. Interestingly, they've gotten me into the habit of making back doors on my houses from now on.

But if you have a set of steel armour, you can easily kill 5 skellies without taking health damage (or very little). Even if some of them are armored.

Get shot 3 times? You are dead.

noooo...really? i would have never thought that having three arrows fired into me would kill me. thanks for the tip sir!

noooo...really? i would have never thought that having three arrows fired into me would kill me. thanks for the tip sir!

Why don't we test to make sure? Stand reeeaaaally still. You might feel a bit of a stinging sensation...

Why don't we test to make sure? Stand reeeaaaally still. You might feel a bit of a stinging sensation...

or how about i just tear out your spine and beat you to death with it?

The damage is fine, I just think that the armor of them should be adjusted. Maybe they could spawn with higher tier armor if players near wear also better armor. This way you would always get enemies balanced in regards to your own equipment

This is an excellent idea. Skyrim does something similar where mobs you encounter are matched to your level so there is always a challenge (up to level 50 I I think).

unfortunately skyrim allows players to become so ridiculously overpowered that they can send mobs flying within single strokes, or bathe in dragonfire because their hair was itchy, stuf like that, i despise overpoweredness, instead mobs should get a change in AI, that make them less OP (skeletons 99% sureshot, unless theres obstacles in the way, fix that PLEASE?)

well, honestly, i think mobs should be ridicuously OP untill you get yourself properly equippped. a single arrow can and will kill you, being pounced on by a two metre spider is going to kill you. getting caught in an explosion will kill you. and even a single sword stroke can kill you if you have no armour.

i think that mobs should be able to completely destroy you unless you have a good suit of armour and a decent weapon. untill then, you will have a reason to fear nighttime and caves, and to build a secure bsae instead of just a flimsy little shelter

The problem is that building a secure shelter can take a large amount of time. This makes it nearly impossible to avoid some mobs early on in the game. If everything is a one hit kill and a person drops their inventory as they die, then no one can progress to armor (at least not in a feasible time span). Therefore the game becomes not fearful, but annoying. I feel that most people don't mind hard games as long as they don't take the annoying route (so to speak).

Mobs that can only be defeated by armor is good. However to balance this out it must be possible for people without armor to be able to reliably escape them even earlier on in the game. One thing would be to slow down the spiders so that one can actually run away (or the spiders can keep their speed but tend to lose interest in you more quickly take your pick). Furthermore, as killster suggests, the skeletons can be made to be less accurate with their bows at long distance. This makes the only way to die in the early game your own stupidity for rushing mobs with no armor on.

I would love to see the skeletons stop shooting out their backside for starters. You can do an amazing sneak ambush on one of those and it means nothing because they'll just fire an arrow at deadly speed and accuracy with their back turned. And I do like the idea of lower accuracy with distance.

As far as monsters in general, perhaps there could be more dangerous/better armed mobs in specific areas or regions with some clue to the adventurer saying that they're in hardcore country. If the area is particularly resource rich, that would be even more rewarding to venture in there. But right now, the weakest zombie and the best armed skeleton can spawn right next to each other for no reason other than the random number generator said so.

how about shields? make an arrow deal no damage if shield is raised and facing the arrow. (just like blocking but useful) theres a mod that employs shields quite well so they can be used with swords fairly easily.

The problem is that building a secure shelter can take a large amount of time.

Placing a few logs on the ground (i.e. a 4x4 square) and dig a 2 block high shelter under it.

You can even have this kind of shelter in the first night, if you do not care about food. Else it'd be the second nights secure shelter.

I stay with this (expanding to a 7x5 'roof') for the first months, slowly building a house around a bloomery/forge.

Edit: I like the way the monsters are ,-)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0