Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sasalec

Apiculture ...* And more soon *...

36 posts in this topic

At first I proposed the area of effect to be one chunk but after this:

16x16 blocks is big? Really? That's only 8 meters each direction, and you want it even less than that.

Do you realize that bees can fly several kilometers to get their stuff? If real bees were functioning like you want them to in minecraft, they'd be long extinct.

I have to agree one colony should be able to benefit several chunks

If dunk'n'bioxx add honey they will have no excuse not to add mead. It was some of the first alcohol in history, you know. Also, pollination sounds like a pain in the arse to code.

Perhaps instead of bees benefiting crops it could be the other way around - if there are crops nearby it has a chance of increasing the amount of honey/wax/bees, etc. that can be acquired from the hive.

I don't mention flowers because it would be too easy to add more around a hive in their current state.  Flowers might help determine where a hive might spawn (ie, not in snowy tundra).

Bee boxes. Need to be a thing. Either by scooping and displacing bees, or by placing the box nearby and baiting it or something, I don't know. But we definitely should be able to make bee boxes and keep them and farm them for honey and wax. Also, in 79 there is now taste on every food, so maybe the honey that comes out of the beehives could be dependent on what flowers are nearby. So you could deliberately get a certain type of flower to get your honey to taste slightly different.

People have harvested honey from beehives for around 15,000 years,so why not add it into terrafirmacraft. I dont see really any specialty about this other than sending a message about honeybees starting to die out(just like how you made jungle trees sterile) and maybe a way of pollination of crops and also to get honey and wax(candlemaking?) too. How you first work with bees is you smoke them out of there homes(trying to harvest them early game is suicidal) and then you take the comb out,though you just killed about 40,000 lives in the process,later on in the game you can start trying to make them your temporary friends making fixed comb hives for them,such as hollow logs,skeps, and clay pots. And then you figure out a way to make top bar hives so you can keep them with you for a little while longer and you dont kill them. The mechanics of the typical bee hive are:

-They have 3 different kinds of bees,the queen,who is the most important and the only egg layer,the drone that mates with the queen,and the worker,who are the ones that do all the work,such as stinging you,making honey,and building combs

-When the hive thinks they are doing fabulous(or there too over crowded,but that can be fixed only with the topbar hives they will start building swarm cells,which are cells with queen bees in it that is going to take over the colony,while the old queen flies away with most of the honey and a handful(more like enough to fill a basket ball) of the bees and fly out to find a place to make a colony,but you can take action and take these bees and put them in a bee hive of your own,or let them come to it more like.

-If you live in a place that isnt warm all year around,you have to leave some honey for your bees to survive the winter or else they will die out.

-Bee hives will slowly build up and get stronger if you let them do what ever,which means keeping them in top bar hives are more profitable.

There are quite a few more things i could say about apiculture,but im kinda doubting they will make it to TFC2 because it can be considered pointless pretty much.The only reason im putting this suggestion up is to help raise honeybee awareness,as it is predicted they will not survive in the current conditions they are in,meaning that 1/3 or 2/3 of the populations food in america.Feed back is appreciated guys and mind my dull humor as well too

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate Suggestion, Merged into older one.

Honestly, I think people are overthinking the mechanics. I would compare bees in importance to Hot Springs: beneficial, definitely flavorful, but not that impactful to the gameplay. 

I think the core features people care about are

-bee boxes/artificial hives

-natural hives to get started

-combs, wax, and honey

I think at the very least the process should be break hive to get stuff, or do [special circumstances] to get your own bees in a bee box. The special circumstances could be using a special tool, or using the hive chain method shown above, or something else. Obviously bees need to produce honey in some way. I think it makes sense to have them produce a comb, which can be turned into wax and/or honey. And then we could make mead with the honey, or preserve fruit. Also, if possible, the type of flowers nearby should determine the flavor of the honey. Kind of like how using different types of wood changes how smoking tastes.

It could possibly be even simpler than that. Naturally-spawned trees have a very small chance to have 1 abandoned Beehive, just a block attached to the side of the tree. Very unobtrusive. Breaking apart the hive yields some Wax. Clearly this would be a very scarce resource, but you would be able to make many narrow candles from a single beehive, potentially giving you many nights of dim light when a torch just feels wasteful. Of course, the problem is producing enough wicks to make all of these candles.

That could also provide a baseline for later if bees are eventually added.

But ... Muh bee boxes!

It's easier to argue for features if there is already sufficient game code that can be repurposed into a new system, AND it provides a clear benefit to the game. Bee boxes would be awesome but would probably require a lot of coding to make work properly, which is why I suggested implementing a super simple alternative that could at least acknowledge the need, and would tie in with implementation should it happen later.

I'm not sure. I think they could be implemented without a high coding load. They'd just be simple. It doesn't have to simulate individual queens and hives, for example.