Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Nuin

Revamp: "Treecapitator" effect on trees

13 posts in this topic

As a new player to TFC, there are a lot of overwhelming things to deal with, such as getting out of the stone age for beginners. However, as a 2+ year Minecraft vet versed in vanilla, Bukkit, Tekkit, Skyblock, etc. I feel that trees need to be revamped.

To be more realistic, it makes sense that breaking leaves has a chance to drop sticks and saplings. I get it.

However, if I fell a tree, the logs break but the leaves do not. Punching the group of leaves afterwards results in only the chance that the one punched will drop sticks/saplings.

Proposed change:

• When felling a tree, the entire tree (logs and leaves) comes down. (This is similar to the Treecapitator mod on Tekkit/FTB servers.)
  • Each leaf block has the chance to drop sticks and saplings as if they were punched.
  • Axes should not take durability for leaf blocks, but only the logs felled count towards durability. This is on the account that leaves can be punched and logs cannot.
  • If the durability on an axe is low enough that it only takes part of the tree down, all leaves still come with it.
To me, this is much more realistic with actual tree felling and eases the burden of stick acquisition (especially as many sticks are lost when a "floating bush" is punched).

Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks for looking!

I think it would be annoying if I got a million sticks every time I cut trees for charcoal. Once you can make a scythe, it's really easy to get a lot of sticks when you need them.

I think it would be annoying if I got a million sticks every time I cut trees for charcoal. Once you can make a scythe, it's really easy to get a lot of sticks when you need them.

I think you are exaggerating just a bit. :)

Also, what is the reach of a scythe? Not far I am guessing. How do you get leaves on tree tops?

Would it also not be realistic for the tree to crush you? :D

Honestly, if we are redoing trees I wanna see roots, stumps, boughs, branches, twigs, better (not necessarily 1m cubes) trunk and leaf models (including tree dimensions, aging, and growth stages) and felled trees becoming a felled tree entity which you can push or drag around with effort, and you must break off the bits of the tree that you want. However, I really cannot see any of that happening.

TFC doesn't need auto-gathering twigs, especially as much as it needs combat and ceramic age updates :P . The feature of having to collect sticks manually is very much intentional, adding more of the 'Stone age tedium -> Metal age simplicity' dynamic to the game. Sorry if I came off as a jerk, rereading that it kinda sounded that way :unsure: .

No, that makes sense. You are fine. :)

It's just I find it highly frustrating that felling trees leads to floating leaf blocks. I am highly OCD when it comes to keeping the natural beauty of the game, and being Minecraft, it comes naturally. I guess I could build scaffolding to clear these "floating bushes" (especially tall pines) but you can see my frustration.

Oh, the floating blocks are a bug, that happens with all large trees to some extent in TFC. I do not have any experience with other tree-felling mods but this has been a problem for as long as I remember, and with all of the "fixes" that were released in it's direction it seems to be a difficult problem to tackle. I'm pretty sure you can still craft a flint and steel though... :D

... Once you can make a scythe, it's really easy to get a lot of sticks when you need them.

Scythe is a tool for cutting grass, not tree leaves and tree branches.

Imho, i would use an axe, and when you break the leaves block that is next to the tree block, all the leaves from that side of the tree, and only on that height, drop sticks and/or saplings. Just like in real life, you cut a branch, all the leaves on that branch come down with it :)

I would also add damage when you break leaves with bare hands. Would make you want to use tools more :)

I would also add damage when you break leaves with bare hands. Would make you want to use tools more :)

Just no. Unless you managed to bruise yourself with a leaf at some point.

Just no. Unless you managed to bruise yourself with a leaf at some point.

There are thick branches in there also.

There are thick branches in there also.

How often did you get injured while breaking a branch?

How often did you get injured while breaking a branch?

Many times...but maybe thats just me :)

I would think that punching leaves is the Minecraft equivalent to grabbing branches and tearing them off the tree.

Regardless, Treecapitator please. If not by default, having the option to enable it would be awesome. (I know players on my server would appreciate it!)