Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Tander

Regenerating rocks (like tall grass and tree sapplings)

23 posts in this topic

The problem on public servers is no rocks near spawnpoint after 1-2 weeks. So newbies can't make stone tools, can't find ores and go on. Rocks regeneration can solve this problem.

Tall grass and tree saplings respawn already.

I think rocks do too, but very sloooow.

I thought about this too, and a mini mod for servers could balance this out. That way, there is no need for any change in TFC code. Just a thought.

they arnt respawning on my own private world, i played nearly 20 hours straight over the weekend ...

so if they are its very damn slow ... lol

they do not, and as a toggle in the server config, this would be great.

plants grow, rocks do not. Don't use some erosion stuff either, that's too complicated.

The rocks question one is a case where we're pretty readily admitting that believability goes out the window if we follow it.

My rule of thumb is simple: leave it as is, no regen. Joining an established server means having to walk a bit more to get tools, or finding a generous veteran. Not a huge problem unless the server has been running for a VERY long time. If it has, you hopefully have the playerbase to support newbies with gift-rocks.

Isn't there a way to limit regeneration of rocks to spawn chunk only? Walking is one thing, but I've seen servers with completely barren landscapes for a day worth of walking in every direction. In which case freshly spawned player is just screwed, because every death will throw him back to the spawn.

id say thats the servers responsibility to start you with a newbie pack then transcengopher, couple of bits of steak, some rocks and a few torches etc.

I have to agree here- when it gets down to it, "running out" of loose surface stone is pretty dang hard to imagine; normal weathering exposes loose stone just as fast as anyone could use it. In fact, between freezes, tilling, and normal activity, even a plowed-smooth piece of land can have rocks pop up practically like mushrooms- that's what the "fieldstone" in a fieldstone wall means.

When you add the fact that stones are essential to survival and advancement, it only makes sense that there be a constant supply of them.

Realism + Gameplay + easy to implement = this really, really should be implemented.

I don't know. Even in single player games it does become a problem but then you are just forced to explore more. As for servers, a new player is entering a society that already exists and can help him - a friendly server will supply him (or her) with worn tools, weapons, and a job if he (or she) wishes it. Or a new player can explore new lands and become a loner, finding lots of stones, sticks and new resources to trade with. It is a problem but surviving is about problem solving.

plants grow, rocks do not. Don't use some erosion stuff either, that's too complicated.

Let's face it dude - even small amounts of tectonic and/or atmospheric activity can expose new stone in loose earth slowly over time, the code is already there in the game for you to re-appropriate, and this will solve a significant issue in game balance.

An hour or so popping this into generation won't disrupt you much

How about situation when players can't see (and pick) ALL rocks? I mean, in real life you can find dozen of rocks in one square meter, and only one rock in TFC? So if player picked up all rocks he (or another player) can return later and find several stones again/ The regenerating rocks is a good way to solve it.

this can be an addon for servers, i personaly don't like to see rock that regenerates

The only problem I see with rock regeneration, is that it's already a big enough pain to keep my front lawn free of unwanted saplings, grass and flowers. I really don't want to have to keep tabs on rocks too.

If rocks are renewable, ore and metal becomes a renewable resource. sluices consume gravel or sand to produce ore, but rocks just pop it out to you. If rocks regen, so would the ore samples. Metal isn't renewable.

If rocks are renewable, ore and metal becomes a renewable resource. sluices consume gravel or sand to produce ore, but rocks just pop it out to you. If rocks regen, so would the ore samples. Metal isn't renewable.

unless you changed the frequency of small ore drops since I last played, if someone is willing to spend the amount of time and tedium required to effectively abuse regenerating small ore, they have bigger problems.

Also, you could just make it so that only worldgen rocks can contain ore

unless you changed the frequency of small ore drops since I last played, if someone is willing to spend the amount of time and tedium required to effectively abuse regenerating small ore, they have bigger problems.

Also, you could just make it so that only worldgen rocks can contain ore

if only world-gen rocks contain ore, new players won't be able to tell if the area they're in has been picked clean of world-gen rocks, leaving them with no way of finding ore, or if the area simply doesn't have any ore at all.

if only world-gen rocks contain ore, new players won't be able to tell if the area they're in has been picked clean of world-gen rocks, leaving them with no way of finding ore, or if the area simply doesn't have any ore at all.

Isn't that what panning is for?

Kinda derailing, but couldn't something similar be done for crops. You know, Wild crops respawning, with perhaps a few conditions.

- respawn in fitting months in one of their earlier stages of growth.

- Perhaps not respawn in places where players often trample around (perhaps use the mob protection or soemthing similar).

- Not spawning in quantities that could feed you for prolonged times.

- no more seed dropping on destroying grass (and give us Hay/something else instead).

regarding respawning rocks:

Why not have only really small amounts of rock respawn (and perhaps reduce the ore ratio in rocks in general), while at the same time slightly buffing sluices and heavily buffing normal gold-pannign without sluices (since nobody does that anyway)

edit semi-related: i would also love if you could shift rightlick to plant a rock (a different version that yields no Ore) and multiple to create rockpile storing up to 2 stacks of rocks or so.

Sluices consume sand and gravel, but they have no requirements for where it comes from. Players use sluices and imported gravel as a means to extract infinite ore from veins of rare/valuable ore. If this is your argument against regenerating rocks, you'll have to either rethink it or fix sluices, because currently it's not valid.

You know, I don't have to see an acorn for a tiny tree to begin to grow. Likewise we don't have to see erosion happen for more rocks to be exposed. If every time it rains there is a very slight chance of some rocks being generated - so slowly that maybe after a TFC year a cleared-out area looks like it's only half cleared-out - I would find that to be utterly believable and not even close to challenge-breaking.

Because really, the only argument that holds up against respawning rocks is that it breaks the challenge. Find the balance point and it's not an issue.

The problem is worst without respawning rocks, isn't it? If a random player harvests all the rocks in the area without signaling metal ores, there is no way to find it again without sluicing.

If respawning is set to a long time, it would disallow metal farming, without crippling newcomers.

Edited by Mastropiero

Couldn't dirt and gravel have a slight chance of dropping rocks? say if there's 40% chance of dirt dropping a rock then there could be the same chance for that rock to be any of the local minerals?